Search for content in message boards

Relocating A Source Family Tree

Relocating A Source Family Tree

Posted: 5 Mar 2014 3:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
If I see that the source for one of my pieces of data is listed as Ancestry Family Trees or Public Member Trees how do I get back to that source family tree? If I click on View Source Details it just takes me to a box showing that the source was from ancestry.com. I want to review the actual member tree that I originally took the data from. Is that possible?

Re: Relocating A Source Family Tree

Posted: 21 Mar 2014 7:21PM GMT
It used to be possible and easy, but that hasn't been working right for me lately. I think that it's possible that others (like me) are having issues with syncing and re-uploading their trees. That seems to break my link to that tree.

If I want to find other trees with that person in it these days, I go to the person, click on the Hints tab, the click to "Search historical records for ......... ". On the results page, pick "Family Trees", then "Public Member Trees". You will see all of the trees that have your person in them. Check the name by the tree as it is not set up to be an exact match.

I've even found new/more information this way. But do NOT assume that everything in a tree is correct. You need to research each fact to verify it. I have found multiple trees where the child is born before the father, or after the mother's death date.

Re: Relocating A Source Family Tree

Posted: 10 Jul 2014 2:35AM GMT
I agree. I used them when I first started without realizing that I was inserting non-records. I now avoid anything that says "Ancestry Family Trees", "International Marriage Records", "US and International Marriage Records", or something that sounds vague. I have also started checking the source (fine print when you examine the record before adding the information to your tree).

The fine print will look something like this: "This unique collection of records was extracted from a variety of sources including family group sheets and electronic databases. Originally, the information was derived from an array of materials including pedigree charts, family history articles, querie."
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions