Search for content in message boards

Can sync be made one-way?

Can sync be made one-way?

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 6:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
I do not use on-line trees; all my work is in FTM on the computer. I do use web search (leafs) and merge material into the computer file.

I just received the 'go' on my ancestry DNA, have been charged, and it is shipped (oh, you cannot get it for $99...another story). But I also found out that to get any of the "connection" output from the DNA test, you HAVE TO HAVE an online tree.

So, now my question is, can I upload my tree but have ONLY changes I make locally sync. In other words, I don't ever want any changes to the online tree to sync back down (in case a glitch fouls up things--as we have seen happen in the past).

Re: Can sync be made one-way?

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 7:12PM GMT
At virtually any screen of Family Tree Maker, there is a Share button in the upper right.

This will lead to another link to "upload" your ftm tree to ancestry. It is a one-way link, but it creates a NEW tree, with a new URL. The OLD tree, with the old URL is still there until you delete it.

I don't know if that serves your purposes or not.

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 7:27PM GMT
I'm not sure if they are correct about you having to have an online tree. When I look at the DNA results there are a number of matches where the people don't have an online tree and more than a number where the tree is private.

I think what they meant to say was that it is more effective if you have a public online tree. That way any potential matches can take a quick look and move on.

As for sync'ing only one way. That is what I do. I don't make changes in Ancestry, only locally in Family Tree Maker. You, yourself, have to be disciplined about it. The only exceptions I make are the occasional image that I will attach on ancestry and then sync to have the image locally attached.

You could, of course, just upload a tree to Ancestry without syncing.

Rosemary

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 7:33PM GMT
bmorton66,
As far as I can see, if you upload your tree from FTM and NEVER use the online version to do any editing, it will be a one way sync. But the minute that you give someone else "Editor" permissions, then it will do a 2 way sync.

Since you are the "Owner" you have full control as to who can view it and have edit permissions.

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 10:34PM GMT
I appreciate those inputs, but they do not address my concern.

I do understand that *I* can just make changes in the FTM tree, and if there are never any changes in the online version, it will never sync 'downward' because it has no changes.

BUT, we have seen major ills with the syncing business; therefore, I do not wish to chance that a glitch on the ancestry side makes it think that the online tree has changed, and sync a corrupted tree/media down into my computer version. I just don't trust everything to always work right with ancestry sync; there are too many horror stories.

I should have asked more clearly...is there an option to tell ancestry to only do it in the upward direction? I am gathering the answer is no, or someone would have said that.

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 11:30PM GMT
The answer is no.

I've never had it send changes down to my tree that I didn't ask for.

Rosemary

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 12:13AM GMT
If nothing is changed on the Ancestry.com online tree side, then nothing will be sync-ed down to an FTM tree.

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 5:21AM GMT
But, what he is asking is what if gremlins cause changes on the ancestry side - as gremlins changing lots of things has occurred in various complaints on this board.

In other words, to be safe, do a "share"type upload and forget the syncing businsess, if that is your concern. I share your concern. I don't sync.

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 10:49AM GMT
Rosemary
Can you selectively decide to download some changes from Ancestry and not others? My understanding is that syncing is an all or nothing proposition. Once you allow a sync to take place all changes are updated, FTM to Ancestry and Ancestry to FTM.

Curt

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 12:31PM GMT
silverfox, can you explain more about what you mean by a 'share type' upload?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic