Search for content in message boards

Winchester, Massachusetts

Winchester, Massachusetts

Betty (View posts)
Posted: 25 Feb 2002 1:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hutchinson, Crosby
Hello.. Just wondering if anyone else is researching the Hutchinson families who lived in Winchester, MA, from the early 1600's right on up to the 1900's.

Our line appears to be:
George
Nathaniel
Samuel
Thomas
John
Thomas
Jacob

Re: Winchester, Massachusetts

Betty (View posts)
Posted: 25 Feb 2002 8:15PM GMT
Surnames: Hutchinson
I have just found a web site .. which shows the family of Nathaniel Hutchinson, b~1632 Charlestown, MA, as follows:

Nathaniel Hutchinson married Sarah BAKER in 1659/60, and they had the following children:

Nathaniel, b1662
William, b1664
Thomas, b1666
William, b1669
Margaret, b1670
Mary, b?
Stephen, b1677

And... Samuel Hutchinson married Sarah FASSETT, and they had the following children:

Sarah, b?
Mary, b1699
Thomas, b?
Nathaniel, b1712 (He died in Billerica 1734)

Sarah Baker Hutchinson probably daug. of William & Joan Baker of Charlestown MA USA

Posted: 30 Aug 2002 10:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 Sep 2006 1:38PM GMT
Surnames: Baker, Hutchinson
I think it is a very good possiblity that Nathaniel's wife Sarah Baker was the daughter of William & Joan Baker of Charlestown who is my 9th great grandfather. Do you have any information on her family? She would have had a brother William who married Mary French and moved to Billerica.

Posted: 25 Jul 2003 5:25PM GMT
Edited: 9 Sep 2003 3:55PM GMT
I am researching this line.... Samuel Hutchinson, b. 9 Jan., 1736/7,
Can you tell me more about the Thomas (4), and John (5)????

Samuel Hutchinson(5) {Thomas(4), Samuel(3), Nathaniel(2), George(1}, was born at Charlestown, Mass., 9 Jan., 1736/7. He m. 1st, at Lexington [He was of Charlestown at the time of this marriage], 27 April, 1754 Elizabeth Fessenden (b. Lexington, 6 May, 1741, dau. of Samuel & Elizabeth (Allen) Fessenden) She died 12 Dec., 1765 (age 25). He m. 2nd at Worcester, 29 June, 1767, Abigail Flagg. (b. Worcester, ---, dau. of Capt. Benjamin & Elizabeth (Fiske) Flagg) She died at Cavendish, 27 Oct., 1793 (age 54). He m. 3rd at Cavendish, 6 Jan., 1795 Martha Davis (b. 1740, dau. of ).
Samuel served as a soldier in Brigden's Company in 1757. A diary of Lt. Samuel Thompson of Woburn, a soldier of the French & Indian War, mentions Samuel Hutchinson being at Camp Half Brook (or Fort Edward), New York, with him at that "Oct 28: Samuel Hutchinson & Daniel Holt sick. Put Hutchinson in hospital. He returned home Nov. 6, near Worcester, I judged." Samuel Hutchinson removed to Lunenburg, from Lexington Mass. in 1761 and lived in Lunenburg where Levi White was living in 1930. He executed a deed at Charlestown in 1771 selling all his rights in his father's estate at Lexington to his brother John.
Around 1775/6, Samuel removed to Fitchburg and after a short residence there, removed to Cavendish, Vt. He is listed in the 1790 census of Cavendish, with a family of seven persons of 16 years and older. His 2nd wife, Abigail has the oldest marked grave in the Twenty-Mile Stream Cemetery. She was 54 years old when she died. In the 1800 census of Cavendish, Samuel had one son and one daughter over 10 years but under 16 living in the household. On 20 Oct., 1800, Samuel Hutchinson sold 50 acre of his home farm, with all the buildings and privileges therunto belonging, to Jonathan Atherton for $100. The property at that time was “bounded south on Timothy Fullum, west on Capt. John Coffeen, north on Samuel Hutchinson Jr. and east on the highway.”
Samuel was listed in the 1810, but disappears by the time of the 1820 census.
Samuel probably died between 1820, but there is no marked grave for him in Cavendish. Martha, his 3rd wife, executed a deed at Charlestown, Mass. in 1803 where she purchased a house, barn and four acres of land at the foot of Winter Hill from Jonathan Ireland and Thomas Robbins. She sold the land to Peter Hutchinson of Carlisle shortly afterward.
Widow Martha died at Cavendish, 10 Jan., 1807 (age 67).

Betty (View posts)
Posted: 15 Feb 2005 10:16AM GMT
Surnames: Hutchinson, Crosby
Hi Linda. I wanted to send a very belated thank you for this information. I don't know why I didn't respond in 2003. My probable excuse was that my first grandchild was just born, and I haven't been 100% in responding to my e-mails .. since. (I babysit him several days a week.)

I don't have HUTCHINSON's on my mind right now, so I will have to take out my papers and refer to my notes.

But, one of the things on my "genealogy to do list" is to create a basic outline of all George and Nathaniel's descendants. As far as I've heard, there is no document or booklet which describes their descendants.

As I might have mentioned before, my sister, Bonnie, took on the research of the CROSBY and HUTCHINSON branch of our family tree. But, for several reasons, she only dealt with "the direct lines" and did not gather information on the siblings, etc.

I have just printed out your query, and will use it to remind myself to take out my HUTCHINSON information.

Nathaniel Hutchinson (b~1633 Charlestown, MA) (m.) Sarah Baker

Posted: 9 May 2006 11:49AM GMT
Edited: 4 Sep 2006 1:35PM GMT
Surnames: Hutchinson, Baker
Hi Amylynne. I don't have any information at all on the parents of Sarah BAKER, prob. born 1630's, who married Nathaniel HUTCHINSON, b~1633 Charlestown, MA.

Perhaps someone else could offer that information.

I just checked the "History of Billerica, MA," and it only mentions a BAKER family in the 1800's.

It does have information on the many FRENCH families, but I don't see a BAKER / FRENCH marriage mentioned.

Posted: 26 May 2008 7:18PM GMT
Hello. Well, here it is over 3 years later, and summarizing all my HUTCHINSON information is "still" on my genealogy to do list. But it is slowly getting closer to the top of the list. Several people have suggested that I start the project - sooner rather than later.

I did get a small project started this weekend, and I can finish that this week. Maybe June 1 I will "take that first step."

If anyone has any information on the descendants of George HUTCHFINSON, arriving in 1630 on "the Winthrop Fleet," and you would like me to include it in a "summary document" I would like to type up, let me know.

I want to include the descendants of his brother, Thomas HUTCHINSON, who traveled with him. Thomas died on the ship, but his widow and 5? children remained in Charlestown until she remarried to Adam HAWKES.

I don't have all this information in my head, but a lot of it is on papers in a box beside my desk. So, I can try to answer questions - as I have time.

As I said before, I don't believe there is any document or book about this extended family, and I don't think even an article was written about them. So, it is time to make this important family - more visible to researchers.

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

P.S. I post all my findings on the Mailing Lists, so you can find my postings on both MA and HUTCHINSON Lists (and Boards).

P.S.2 Of the 5 HUTCHINSON siblings who lived on the large HUTCHINSON Farm in the early 1800's, the two who remained past 1860 were Jacob and Thomas. At that time, John and 2 married sisters left Winchester, MA, and moved to Brooklyn, NY. I would love to find some descendants of theirs.

(I am hoping they have some pictures of the 2 farmhouses from the early 1800's.)

P.S.3 Of Jacob and Thomas' families, I have learned this year that there are no more male descendants of either brother. Thomas had 2 children, and his only son, Thomas, lived a long life but did not marry. Jacob had 2 childre, and his only son, George, married several times, but only had one son, Carleton. Carleton married several times, but only had one son, Leslie. I found out last year that this son became Dr. Leslie "Loring" HUTCHINSON, a Podiatrist in Cambridge, MA. Loring married a lady from a large family, but they only had one child, Robert. Robert never married. When I found out that Robert existed last year, I was too late in finding him. He had been killed in a car accident 2 years before. He had never married, so he was the last male descendant.

I would like to find out if there is a male descendant of John HUTCHINSON from 1860 to 1900 Brooklyn, NY.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic