Search for content in message boards

J.L. Pittman in the Civil War

J.L. Pittman in the Civil War

Posted: 19 Aug 2002 1:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a Union Army belt buckle with J.L. Pittman stamped in the reverse side. This is an authenic civil war artifact. I am interested in knowing more about Mr. Pittman. What unit he served in? Did he survive the conflict?

Re: J.L. Pittman in the Civil War

Posted: 7 Sep 2002 10:37PM GMT
Close- My grandfather's gradfather was in the Civil War.
He served the Union Army. He survived the war his name was
John Matt Pittman. He was from Bell County Kentucky.
I have his obituary it is very lengthy.My great grandfather was Carter Pittman drowned at Wasioto back in the late 1800s or early 1900 * - had to be before 1905. My grandfather was named after his father : John Matt Pittman like I said he served in the Union army- was a (i think Baptist) preacher.
larry rapier- Ps I have a picture of the guy but not in uniform.

Leonard Wilder (View posts)
Posted: 8 Sep 2002 8:03PM GMT
Jojn Madison Pittman m Melinda Hoskins. The family Esias,Carter,Polly,Cynthia, Nancy Ellen,Margaret J, Joseph,
Telitha, Sarah, George, Bell,William (BILL), I'm looking for Esais and Nancy Wilson's family Gladys, Roscoe, Hattie, Roy, Edwad,May. one other dont have name.. I know where Esais and His father John Madison are buried.Near Pittsburg KY. I would like to hear from Esais's Pittman's decendants. I'm looking for a picture of Esais F Pittman. Leonard Wilder

Dan Pittman (View posts)
Posted: 10 Sep 2002 1:24AM GMT
Leonard:

I am trying to make connection with your branch of the Pittmans. I can take you back to John Madison's gr. grandfather, Samuel Pittman Sr. (1790 SC) but have no information other than that. Would like to know of Samuel Sr. children.

Dan Pittman

Larry Rapier (View posts)
Posted: 10 Sep 2002 9:22PM GMT
Oh yes, please

thanks,
larry

Posted: 11 Sep 2002 8:54PM GMT
Please I would be very interested.

thanks,
larry

Dan Pittman (View posts)
Posted: 12 Sep 2002 8:09AM GMT
In the 1790 Pendleton Co. SC Census Samuel Pitman Sr. (d. 1815 Virginia or NC) and Samuel Pitman Jr. appear. We believe Lucy Williams (d. 1812) was Samuel Sr. wife. They had approx. 12 children. (I would be interested in any information you have about any of their othr children). Living near them are the Vanderpools.

The 4 known children are of Samuel Sr. are: Samuel Jr. , Joseph, Rebecca, and Lemuel. Little is known about Joseph and Lemuel. Rebecca may have married a Christopher Boston in the Watauga area about 1812.

Samuel Jr. married Keziah Vanderpool in 1787. (The Vanderpools and Pitmans are living near each other in the 1790 census). Children of Samuel Jr. and Keziah are:

1. Sterling C. H. b. Dec. 3, 1815 in Lee Co. Va. and d. March 1, 1901 in Eureka Spring, Ark. His wife was b. November 11, 1816 and d. Sept. 11, 1884. They were married in 1834 in Harlan Co. Ky.
2. Sarah 3. John 4.Thomas 5. Samuel 6. Amy 7. Jane 8. Elizabeth 9. Nancy 10. Keziah 11. Joseph (b. approx. 1807).

Joshep md. Cynthia Wilson (b. approx. 1808 in Ky). Their children were:
1. Nancy 2. Verna 3. Sally 4. Margaret 5. William 6. J.H. (Jeremiah) 7. John Madison (b. Nov. 22, 1843) 7. Rose 8 Deborah.

It appears John Madison and Malinda Hoskins were married Dec. 11, 1867 in Bell County, Ky.

I believe my ancestor was one of the other children of Samuel Pitman Sr. (perhaps Lemuel). The earliest proof of my family is in the Pendleton District of SC in 1800 near Glassy Mountain. It appears they attended the Tyger Baptist Church.

Megan Reilly (View posts)
Posted: 12 Sep 2002 9:46PM GMT
Surnames: PITTMAN
Dear Daniel Pittman,

I think I may be a cousin of yours. I am descended from Sterling C.H. Pittman, and his son Pennell, who was my grandfather's grandfather. If you want more information, look on my webpage, where you will find my GEDCOM, photos of Sterling and others, and even some hand-written letters from Pennell and his Civil War accounts (of you're interested).
The address is:

http://www.genealogy.com/users/r/e/i/Megan-M-Reilly/

Also, you may have been in contact with my uncle, Jack Pittman, who has done a lot of research on this subject. His webpage address is:

http://www.nettally.com/swtu/album/toc.htm

If you have any questions, please contact me at meganreilly@iolfree.ie

Thanks,
Megan

Megan Reilly (View posts)
Posted: 15 Sep 2002 3:29PM GMT
Surnames: PITTMAN
Dear Daniel Pittman,

I think I may be a cousin of yours. I am descended from Sterling C.H. Pittman, and his son Pennell, who was my grandfather's grandfather. If you want more information, look on my webpage, where you will find my GEDCOM, photos of Sterling and others, and even some hand-written letters from Pennell and his Civil War accounts (if you're interested).
The address is:

http://www.genealogy.com/users/r/e/i/Megan-M-Reilly/

Also, you may have been in contact with my uncle, Jack Pittman, who has done a lot of research on this subject. His webpage address is:

http://www.nettally.com/swtu/album/toc.htm

If you have any questions, please contact me at meganreilly@iolfree.ie

Thanks,
Megan

Jeffery Pittman (View posts)
Posted: 23 Oct 2002 6:48PM GMT
I had a great great great grandfather who fought for the Confederate Army. He was part of the 20th Georgia, company F or H not sure. His full name was Jacob Leonard Pittman. He also had a brother James D. Pittman who fought with him. They both survived the war.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions