Search for content in message boards

Grandad White

Grandad White

Posted: 11 Sep 2002 6:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: White
I would be grateful if anyone could help me with my family Tree which I'm getting nowhere with.My Grandfather was called George White, he was my mother's father.
I've asked her for information but she honestly doesn't know much.They lived most of there lives in Oxford a little time in Somerset. He was originally born in Wales.
He did marry, my mum say's she was Italian, but she left the family when mum was only about 10 years old, it's all a mystery.So I don't know her name, nor does my mother.
They had 4 children Kathleen (mum), Audrey, Margaret and Robert.
If anyone could stear me in the right direction on what to do next ( which would be a miracle ) i would be very grateful.
Thankyou Julie Kennedy

Re: Grandad White

Posted: 11 Sep 2002 8:19PM GMT
Julie,
If you really are starting from scratch then you should look at the 'getting started in genealogy' section of http://www.genuki.org.uk/ This is a great site for anything you want to know about researching your family history.
Also try your local library for a basic book on genealogy or family history - and see if your local college runs evening classes in the topic.

The basic technique, from where you are, is;
1. Get all the information you can from living family members. Talk to them all, and ask for names, dates and places, and copies of any certificates or similar documents. Is there a family bible with dates in, for example?
1. Your mother's full birth certificate will give the names of both your grandparents, and where she was born.
2. The date of birth of the oldest of your grandparents' four children will suggest which years to search for their marriage. You do this in the GRO indexes of Births, Marriages and Deaths in London, or at a main library, or at a LDS (Mormon) Family History Centre. More information on places etc from the Genuki site above.
3. Information on ordering certificates is at http://www.statistics.gov.uk/nsbase/registration/certificate...
4. Your grandparents' marriage certificate will tell you their ages and their fathers' names and occupations.
5. Then you can look for your Grandfather's birth, and his birth certificate will give his parents names. If your grandmother was born in Italy you'll not be able to research her that easily - or was she perhaps born in this country to an Italian family?
6. When you get back to 1901 you can look for your ancestors in the Census, which is on-line at http://www.census.pro.gov.uk/
7. And you go back generation by generation in that manner using birth and marriage certificates and the Census (every 10 years from 1841) until the start of Civil Registration in 1837.
8. About 25-30% of the births, marriages and deaths from 1837 to 1901 are also on-line at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com

That should get you started in the right direction. It really isn't that difficult if you approach it methodically, step by step, using all the information you can get from family and from all the documents. But you will need to be patient. It takes a while.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your research.
Hugh Smith

Posted: 18 Sep 2002 8:26AM GMT
Dear Hugh,
Many thanks for all the help you've sent me. I've tried to get as much information from my own family as I can but they don't seem keen on showing me birth or marriage certificates. But It's not going to stop me trying to find out about my Family History in fact it's making it all sound more interesting now.
When I told my mother that I was having trouble finding her side of the family, she the said no wonder your grandfathers real name was William George White. That's the first I heard, and also her grandmother was a Romany by the name of Moses.
At least I got a little more out of her, perhaps that is why I'm having trouble finding any records because they didn't have any being Gypsies, and my grandmother being Itallian as well.
Anyway with the websites you've sent me I can search them with a little more information that I,ve found.
Thankyou again Julie.

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 6:42AM GMT
Hi my name is Gillian White Im looking for my grandfather his name is Robert George White born 1875 he said he was born in Basingstoke but like you Im at a stand still, My gradfather has a son called George I know he is not your grandad but my grandfather and yours could be brothers?. do you have any dates to go on.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions