Search for content in message boards

Chamberlain-Chamberlin

Chamberlain-Chamberlin

Posted: 16 Sep 2005 5:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Trying to find information on a George Nelson Chamberlain
born July 7, 1918 in Illinois-died April 29 1976 in Minnesota.
His father was Samuel (Sam) C. Chamberlain his mother was
Olive Fruge Chamberlain.There was a daughter born in 1921 and died 4 months later, she is buried in Harrison, Illinois.
I want to know if he was married if so to whom. Any information would be greatly appreciate. He is my brother.

Re: Chamberlain-Chamberlin

Candis Firchauu (View posts)
Posted: 17 Sep 2005 3:18PM GMT
HI! You can go to a few different places.

1) www.familysearch.org They hold the largest set of family history records in the world and the information is free.

2) the Latter Day Saint family history libraries, where you can order microfilm from the area where he lived and could have been married. It cost very little-like a 1.50 to rent the microfilm of marriages for whatever place for 6 weeks or so. They have machines you can use to copy the info.

3) order the child's birth record ( the one that died) and it will list the parents addresses, names, whether the child was born at home or not. Or order a death record for the child.

4) order a marriage record ( they search 3 years) for him. Most places go by the groom's last name. Or ask about the marriage index for the years you think he could have married.

5) Contact cemetery where the child was buried and ask for the information of the card they have.

6) Check and see if he was in the service and if he has a service record. ( WWII, Korea)

7) Hertiage Quest is available for free from most libraries, if you have a card. They have old newspapers indexed. And also census records until 1930.

8) order a death record or birth record for him. It's all legal- they usually cost between 5-20 dollars each. or you can go to theLDS libraries and order microfilm.

Good Lcuk!!
Candis

Re: Chamberlain-Chamberlin

Posted: 1 Oct 2005 12:30PM GMT
Thanks, Candis, I have checked out different places and no grave stone was placed and nothing marked, As for the brother it's a dead end, records for military were destroyed in a fire. I will keep trying someone has to know something.
Thanks for your help.

George Nelson Chamberlain, b. 1918, IL

Posted: 14 Oct 2005 12:56AM GMT
All I've found here are census data and the SSDI listing:
- 1920 Census, Rockford Ward 4, Winnebago Co., IL, #349/361, Jan. 16 & 17, 1920, Samuel Chamberlain, head, married, age unknown, NY/U.S./Illegible; ????, wife, age unknown, NY?/ U.S./illegible; George, son, age unknown, U.S./U.S./U.S.; living in residence headed by Maria Grow, a widow
- 1930 Census, Rockford Twp., Winnebago Co., Illinois, 25 Apr 1930, 215 Carborough? Ave., #331/397, Sam B?Chamberlain, head, $2250, age 37, married age 24, truck driver, WI/WI/WI; Olive E., wife, age 34, married, age 21, WI/WI/IL; George N., son, age 11, WI/WI/WI. Living next door is Alfred E? Cherry, age 53? & family, also from Wisconsin who might be related somehow
- SSDI lists George Chamberlain, b. 7 Jul 1918, d. Apr 1976, SSN #360-03-2624, issued IL
So, what you do know, in addition to his exact date and State of death (so you can obtain his death record which would list the informant for the death certificate, almost certainly a relative), is that your half-brother was the son of Olive E., b. c1896, WI, who died sometime after 1930, perhaps in Rockford, IL. Perhaps you already know whether she died before her husband's second marriage to Katherine Rose Webster (your mother), 27 May 1843, Rockford, IL, or whether there was a divorce and she died later on sometime. If you could find her obituary, it might mention son George Nelson's whereabouts at the time (I presume he was in the Military in 1943), and whether he was married at the time. Rockford, IL city directories and old phone books should tell you whether he lived there after WWII. Then, when his father died, 7 Jan 1966 in Rockford, there should be an obituary for him which would most likely mention his son, who was alive at the time. George would have graduated from high school there in Rockford in 1936 or 1937, so you could go there and try to track down some of his classmates who might know what became of him. I've used this system successfully in the past, beginning with obtaining a list of the graduates of his class from the high school or the local newspaper, then trying to find some of them who might still live there (of course most of them would be dead by now). It would be a long shot in this case. There are other places to look for information, I suppose, but these are the first ones that come to mind, in addition to Candis' suggestions. But, hopefully, your posting might elicit a response from someone who knew him. Do make sure to place a similar posting in GenForum, if you've not already done so.

Re: George Nelson Chamberlain, b. 1918, IL

Posted: 16 Oct 2005 2:02PM GMT
Thank you, very much. There was a problem with George and my dad Sam disowned him I don't know when for sure,there was never a mention of him, only that his name was George.I did find him in the census for Illinois, and I did find him buried in cementary in Michigan (military). I was hoping to find a wife . But no luck so far.
I do have the obit's for my dad and mother but no mention of George or his sister who died when she was 6 months. Thank you again I appreciate your time and trouble. Ellie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic