Search for content in message boards

Sullivan

Posted: 16 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Mar 2002 3:01AM GMT
Surnames: Sullivan, Bowler
Johanna Sullivan m. Michael Bowler and lived in Curraheen, Glenbeigh. Johanna died Nov. 9, 1933, age 87 years. Granddaughter Hanna Burke was present. There is an entry in the Glenbeigh Catholic Church for a baptism for a Johanna Sullivan: ? Aug 1846 Joannam Sullivan, f.1. Jacobi Sullivan & Joanna Fitzgerald
Sp. Timothei Shea and Brigida Fitzgerald, Curraheen
There is also another entry:
8 Nov 1845 Joannam f.1. Jacobi (James) Sullivan and Ellena Moriarty
Sp. Michaelis Sullivan & Joanna Riordan, Droum
Does anyone have either set of these names in their family tree? Surely, Johanna Sullivan must have had siblings. I'm looking for descendants of other Sullivans from Curraheen, Glenbeigh circa 1840's.

Connection to MORIARTY

Posted: 17 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 19 Jul 2001 7:50PM GMT
Surnames: SULLIVAN, MORIARTY
Your record: 8 Nov 1845 Joannam f.1. Jacobi (James) Sullivan and Ellena Moriarty

I am searching for a connection from my MORIARTY to the boxer John L Sullivan. My ggf Maurice MORIARTY b 1858 d 1935 Iowa was said to be a cousin to John L. In fact, his sister's death certificate lists her mother as Bridget SULLIVAN but I am not confidence that that information is correct cause his certificate lists his mother as Bridget MORAN. Their father is John MORIARTY. Is he a sister to your Ellena MORIARTY? Mary

Sullivan in Kilgarvan

Kathleen Bittner (View posts)
Surnames: Sullivan, Buckley
I am not sure if we discussed this previously, but I have an Ellen Sullivan born in Kilgarvan, Kerry, 1883, daughter of Cornelius Sullivan and Mary Buckley. Ellen had several siblings, two of which were Daniel and Florence.

Sullivan - Kerry

Kathryn McCarthy (View posts)
Surnames: Sullivan, McCarthy
I searching for info on Catherin (Kate) Sullivan who m. Denis McCarthy of Caherciveen about 1900. Can't find marriage in Killarney records. Don't know exact Parish for either.

Their first child, Denis, was born in Foulksmills, Co. Wexford as Denis was in the RIC and based in Co. Wexford. Any help appreciated.

Sullivan

Jeanette Davis (View posts)
Surnames: Sullivan, Hegarty
I'm not sure where in Kerry the town you named is. I think my Sullivan are from the Kilgarvan-Kenmare area but since I really don"t have much info on them in Ireland, I like to check all other Sullivan's. My grandmother was Johanna Sullivan but born in 1895, Her parents were Daniel Sullivan and Cathrine Hegarty (probably born around 1860-1870's) Let me know if you should come across these names. We had to get such a common name!!! Thanks, Jeanette

Sullivan

Jeanette Davis (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Sullivan, Hegarty
We might have discussed this before!! We sure got stuck with a common surname. I wonder if your Cornelius and my Daniel could be brothers?! I'll save your address and if I come up with more I'll let you know. I don't think Kilgarvan is that big, they must have been related. I'll keep in touch. Jeanette PS Where did your Sullivans Immigrate to?

LEARY/SULLIVAN/MORIARITY

Posted: 1 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jul 2003 6:17PM GMT
Surnames: LEARY, O'LEARY, MORIARITY, SULLIVAN
RICHARD LEARY, b. approx. 1800, Co. Cork or Kerry.
PATRICK SULLIVAN, b. approx. 1807, Co. Kerry. d. 1873, Wales
ELLEN (MORIARITY) SULLIVAN, b. approx. 1811 Co. Kerry, d. 1886, Wales.
JOHANNA SULLIVAN LEARY, b. 1837, Co. Kerry, d. 1900, New Castle, PA
ELLEN SULLIVAN DEASY, b. 1837, Co. Kerry.
JEREMIAH SULLIVAN, b. 1847, Co. Kerry.
MICHAEL LEARY, b. 1831, Co. Kerry. d.1902, New Castle, PA

Looking for birthtowns and siblings of Richard & Michael.
Posted: 3 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jul 2001 7:38PM GMT
Surnames: Sullivan, O'Sullivan, McCarthy
Update to my original response:

The following was taken from Baptismal Records of Foulksmills Parish Church:

1898, July 25,27 - Anne Maria McCarthy daughter of Denis McCarthy and Catherine O'Sullivan, Foulksmills. Godparents: Laurence Foley, Foulksmills and Kate Ryan, Haresmead.

1901, Jan 22 - Mary Ellen McCarthy of Denis McCarthy and Catherine O'Sullivan, Foulksmills. Godparents: Andrew McCarthy, Chicago, Frances McCarthy, Chicago.

1904, Mar 27 - Denis Florence son of F.D. McCarthy and Catherine O'Sullivan, Foulksmills. Godparents: Timothy McCarthy, R.I.C. Ballinaboola. Mrs Marshall, proxy, Taghmon (midwife) Norah O'Sullivan, Cahirciveen, Co. Kerry.

Please note that the Birth Cert of Denis Florence (1904) gives parents as Denis McCarthy and Catherine (Kate) Sullivan. Also, on checking RIC Records it gives Cork as Native County for both Denis and Catherine. Unfortunately, blob of ink on 'date of marriage'!

Interested in furthering the Chicago/Kerry/Cork McCarthys and Cahirciveen, O'Sullivans/Sullivan.

Thank you.

McCarthy and Sullivan

Posted: 7 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jul 2001 7:38PM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy, Sullivan
Thanks for your response. Have found since I posted my original message that the father of Florence Denis McCarthy was Michael McCarthy (Farmer) Co. Kerry.

The father of Kate Sullivan was Jeremiah O'Sullivan (Farmer) Co. Kerry. Florence Denis and Kate married on 27 July, 1897 at St. Finbar's Church, Cork City, Ireland. Jeremiah O'Sullivan was dead according to the Marriage Record. Michael McCarthy was alive.

Per 1901 Census, Florence Denis was born abt. 1859 but per R.I.C. records he was born abt. 1873. Trying to check this out. Per 1901 Census Kate was born abt. 1867.

Their son, Michael McCarthy b. 1902 Foulksmills had a Daniel McCarthy and Honora O'Sullivan as Godparents.

Do you know the Parish where your Grandfather's parents were baptised? If I research there, I might tie in. We both have the names Mary Ellen and Timothy in our lines.

Thanks.

McCarthys & Sullivans

Michael O'Malley (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: McCarthy, Sullivan
While I did not recognize any family names in your posting, I am descended from McCarthys and Sullivans of Cahirciveen. My granmother was Nell Bridget Sullivan (died 1983) of Ballinskelligs. My grandfather was JoHn Joseph McCarthy (died 1958). They both came to the states in the 1920s, they were married in 1933, and had my mother Mary Ellen McCarthy O'Malley.

My granmothers parents were Bridget Murphy and Phillip Sullivan. My grandfathers parents were Timothy McCarthy and Mary Shea.

My grandmother had many borthers and sisters: John Sullivan (Ireland), Julia Harrison (chicago), Mamie Casey (Chicago), Margaret Lynch (Chicago), Bridie Griffin (Chicago), Dennis Sullivan (Chicago), Nora King (New York), and Catherine Shea (Chicago). My Granfather has some siblings, though I don't know much about them: William, Abigail, Jim (australia), Mary (Boston).

I'd be interested to hear of anyone related through the McCarthys.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic