Search for content in message boards

Fezzey/Lablue/Beaudry giroux, riel French Family Looking for a expert that knows their stuff to give me guidence! <3 (:

Fezzey/Lablue/Beaudry giroux, riel French Family Looking for a expert that knows their stuff to give me guidence! <3 (:

Posted: 13 Apr 2013 1:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Apr 2013 10:40PM GMT
Surnames: Fezzey, lablue, beaudry, giroux, riel
Hello world <3 (:

I just started my genealogy hunt yesterday. So far I'm a very very French person apparently. The farthest back I could get was Jean Jehan de Manthet Menthet, sieur d'Argentenay my 12 Great Grandpa. I was wondering how I get past this point I can't make any progress. I'm hoping to find someone with the same line as me that has more resources. What alternative options do I have then research on here? Also can someone please educate me on crests how to you claim one and how do you know which one? Anyway if you know we have the same line help a girl out! <3

Re: Fezzey/Lablue/Beaudry giroux, riel French Family Looking for a expert that knows their stuff to give me guidence! <3 (:

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 12:08AM GMT
Edited: 15 Apr 2013 2:18PM GMT
I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but if you got to a 12th great grandparent in one day, you likely need to start over. The only way that could happen is if you copy every tree you come across, but the member trees are notoriously inaccurate (especially when they claim to go back that far), and I really doubt there is much if any documentation on any of them - just a general "trust me" approach.

You will have a lot more confidence in your results if you start from your own parents and grandparents, and work backwards one generation at a time, adding the census and other records along the way. The problem with just copying trees that have no records attached is that if there is any break in the chain, then you are not really connected to those older generations (or if you are, you will never be able to prove it to yourself). Also, if my own experience is anything to go by, you are also going to find situations that are chronologically impossible (parents younger than "children," spouses born 80 years apart, etc.)

As to crests, etc. - the real truth is that these are not "family" crests. If you read up on heraldry, you will find that there is no such thing as a "family crest" for any family (notwithstanding the colorful clipart littered over the Ancestry trees). You might have fun with a Google search on that subject.

Good luck with your search - but seriously, start with your own immediate family and work backwards, and you will then have a tree you can trust is really about your family.

Update: Here is an official source about UK coats of arms, which explains in more detail that there is no such thing as a "family" coat of arms - they are granted to individuals, and can be inherited only by lineal male descendants of the original grantee: http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/resources/faqs

Re: Fezzey/Lablue/Beaudry giroux, riel French Family Looking for a expert that knows their stuff to give me guidence! <3 (:

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 11:18AM GMT
Thank you for the suggestion I DID start with my own parents grandparents greatgrandparents and from there move forward using marriage certs and birth certs thanks for your concern though......

Re: Fezzey/Lablue/Beaudry giroux, riel French Family Looking for a expert that knows their stuff to give me guidence [sic] <3 (:

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 12:01PM GMT
Edited: 14 Apr 2013 6:28PM GMT
Well, all rightie then.

Just to make it clear what I mean about chronological impossibilities, however, a quick look at your tree shows things like: Marie Olivine Riel (b. 1858 and d. 1911) married Antonie Beaudry (b. 1911 and d. 1987), with whom she had a daughter, Evangeline, b. 1885. That is, the husband was born the year they married and the year she died, and the daughter was born many years before the date of her father's birth - and there is no documentation at all.

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 3:24PM GMT
Edited: 14 Apr 2013 4:16PM GMT
Some of your "French" lines lead to Canada and there are plenty of the Canadian resources on-line.

First rule of genealogy, document, document, document. Fill in all the data, finding census, BMDs, and more... for each person in your tree. You find as many pieces of the puzzle you can, evaluate them and put them in context. By doing this you learn about the resources available to research, you learn how to evaluate data, and how to communicate your assertions in a coherent manner.

The resources to research French Canadian genealogy are massive and on-line. You need some command of French and Latin to read and understand the BMD. All this can be learned.

As McCom... advised, genealogy's not as easy as it looks, and is not a quick process.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic