Search for content in message boards

Assist in correctly indexing one set of Rhode Island Vital Records

Assist in correctly indexing one set of Rhode Island Vital Records

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 9:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have VR for Warren Rhode Island and they are different than the other records I have been doing: these are general church records about How Received and How Removed, example is from pg 505

MILLER Patience, Turner, Child l. Nov 15 1764
Nancy, Johnson br. April 7, 1805

There are many records like this where the woman's name is followed by other surnames after a comma, sometimes more than one. Also, the abbreviations are different than in posted examples on the instructions. they include b, br, d, ex,l. I have been indexing b as baptism and d as death in this set. anything else is Other. But the names are troublesome. In the examples above, I put all the names after the capitalized surname in the first name field; there is nothing stating that these women are married. And child--I am not sure if the person is a child or the parent of a child, or is it a surname? A little direction would help me with this batch. Thanks.

Re: Assist in correctly indexing one set of Rhode Island Vital Records

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 11:12PM GMT
I think you must mean page 550 as I have not been able to find a page 505 which covers Warren. Here is a link to page 550 in the browsable version of the book on ancestry:

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/browse/bookview.aspx?dbid=15395...

It is in Vol VIII First Baptist Church of Warren. I think b is baptised but not sure whether d means died in this section. I am trying to find a part of the book which explains the layout of these entries but not found it yet. It looks to me as though MILLER Nancy, Johnson, means that Miller is her married surname and Johnson is her maiden name, and I think "Child" probably means the person was a child when they were admitted into the church but trying to find something to confirm this.

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 2:09AM GMT
I, too, have just downloaded a set of these. I've decided to return them as I simply don't have time to find out what I ought to be doing since it's just not clear from the project itself. This isn't like what I was doing on this project. Thanks.

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 4:47AM GMT
Thanks for your reply. I apologize for giving the wrong page number, you were right. I am not submitting this batch until I get some further clarification. I have come to believe that the d does not mean death in this case, possibly departed. On a very few entries, in the second column, is a cross type symbol, I think this is the death indication. This section of images for First Baptist Church of Warren certainly needs a second pair of eyes to determine the correct indexing. Luckily I think it is just a few pages. I did browse from the link given but didn't see any key to the Warren pages.

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 8:21AM GMT
I have found a note at the end of the entries for this church which explains the abbreviations:

NOTE:- Number of constituent members as far as known 41, whose manner of addition is unknown 40, baptized 965, experience 61, letter 272, died 501, excluded 110, dismissed to other churches 342, erased 59, removal unknown 21; Members March 1 1886, 252. The figures in the second column not otherwise designated denote the date of death of the member; b denotes baptized, e experience, l letter, ex excluded, d dismissed, + erased.

(I couldn't key the cross symbol so put a + instead - but that is the cross symbol you mention, so it doesn't mean death.)

So b = baptised but d would be "other".

Not found an explanation of the surnames and "Child" yet...

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 8:47AM GMT
Okay, it looks as though Child is just another surname. I was confused by Patience Miller having the maiden name Turner and also "Child" after her name but the other people with "Child" do seem to have Child as their maiden name.

It does look as though the surname in capitals is the surname that the woman had when she was received into the church, and the surnames separated by commas are her previous or alias surnames. When there is just one extra surname, it seems to be her maiden name but when there is more than one I'm not sure which is the maiden name and which is the previous married name.

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 3:20PM GMT
Oh thanks so much. I now will correct all the death records to other unless they should be deleted. As far as the additional surname question, I am not really sure how to proceed, I have listed all of the names in the first name field. I don't think I should be putting them anywhere else without a clear indication of maiden name or married name. Do you agree?

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 6:14PM GMT
Yes, I agree.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions