Search for content in message boards

FTM2012: Sync one tree between two computers?

FTM2012: Sync one tree between two computers?

Posted: 21 Oct 2012 6:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
I've just upgraded to FTM2012 my on PC at home. I've successfully synced my FTM tree to my ancestry.com tree! YAY!
I installed FTM2012 on my laptop. I successfully downloaded the synced ancestry.com to my laptop. But, to link it with the ancestry.com tree, FTM2012 wants to upload the laptop tree. I'm worried that this will knock out the PC linked tree.

I ultimately want to have one tree on ancestry.com, and use FTM2012 on either my PC or laptop and have the updates sync between all three (ancestry.com, PC, laptop).

Am I crazy to think this can work? Do any of you have some wisdom on how to accomplish this?

Many thanks!

Ian

Re: FTM2012: Sync one tree between two computers?

Posted: 21 Oct 2012 7:23PM GMT
Sorry, it's not set up to do this. One Ancestry Tree to one computer is the rule.

Posted: 21 Oct 2012 9:39PM GMT
However, for those interested, one can have multiple access using Ancestry's "cloud computing".

I use FTM 2012 on my PC laptop to store my "master" tree and grow it from keyed-in additions or from the "shaking leaves" ... and then upload. I only use the Ancestry online synced version to download media and stories.

Consequently, I can use my iPad or Android phone to access the "cloud" to find any media/story matches while watching TV. Despite all the reported glitches, I have had stable sync'ing and relatively trouble free FTM work for my 4 Trees totaling about 14,000 people for the past year.
Cheers, Bo.

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 11:13PM GMT
i have dropbox.com setup on 3 PCs and store the program files in there. I have all 3 PCs sync with FTM with no problem. Don't even need to do anything to update them as dropbox auto syncs and changed files

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 11:18PM GMT
You can also set up a local network so you can save your file to both laptop and main computer. We have a network between out two PCs, but I don't have the network on my new laptop yet. I don't know how to do it, so waiting for DH. They aren't sync'd, but right now I copy the tree to a thumb drive and move between and it's a pain.

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 11:12PM GMT
jedi,

When you say "store the program files," do you mean the files under \My Documents\Family Tree Maker?

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 11:38PM GMT
No Dropbox once installed created a new folder with its own file path. I'm in bed on iPad just now so can't check the path. I think it may be my docs\dropbox\familytree\ftm12 on mine.

Anything added or changed in Dropbox auto updates everywhere.

Another option is to use sync toy which is a free Microsoft program..

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 11:43PM GMT
Ah, so you actually installed FTM in the DropBox folder?

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 11:51PM GMT
Yes.

Before that I setup program on each PC and then set where it looks/stores tree info into a Dropbox folder.

Recent I just installed inside Dropbox. I was told it couldn't be done as it needed system files, but tried it and runs ok.

Posted: 25 Oct 2012 2:51PM GMT
Another option I used to do was this:

I had a NAS drive attached to my router. It could be accessed by all PCs.

I setup a family tree folder on there. I setup FTM on all PCs individually. I then used synctoy (microsoft) to make a copy of the FTM files onto the NAS drive.

Each time before I loaded FTM i ran synctoy. It meant each FTM was kept up to date.

A bit clunky, but worked. Dropbox is much better.

BTW synctoy is free: http://download.cnet.com/SyncToy/3000-2248_4-10629009.html
per page

Find a board about a specific topic