Search for content in message boards

SHOCKLEY COLE

SHOCKLEY COLE

Posted: 2 May 2010 12:56AM GMT
Classification: Query
Shockley Cole is my great, great grandfather. I don't have much information on him. I've found places with his name as Charles Shockley Cole and his birth date listed as 1827 in South Carolina. He himself has put Georgia as his birth place on one of the US Census I have seen. He married Martha C. Barnes on December 27, 1849, and his name on the license was Shockley. On the 1850 Census, he was shown as Shockley and on the 1860 Census it was just S. He was listed as S Cole on Civil War papers. This makes me wonder where Charles came from since he never used it, unless it was a middle name. I would love to hear from anyone who knows which Cole line is his. I want so much to have his parents names so I can do a more complete family tree. Any information is much appreciated.

Margaret

Re: Shockley Cole

Posted: 20 Aug 2010 12:31PM GMT
If you'd say where he lived and died it might make it easier to help you.

If the name was "S. Cole" on "Civil War papers" how do you know it is your ancestor referred to? What exactly were the "Civil War papers"?

Posted: 20 Aug 2010 9:02PM GMT
Shockley was living in Talladega County Alabama in 1850 with James and Sena Barnes, his in-laws, and in 1860 he and Martha and their children were living still in Talladega County.

As far as we have been able to determine, he died in the Civil War. I did have one individual tell me he died in Meridian, Lauderdale County, Mississippi during the Battle of Vicksburg. The papers I have seen online were the Alabama Civil War Service Cards File and pension applications filed by his widow, Martha. On footnote.com, his name was S Cole, his death was listed as 1/26/1863 and application for pension made by Martha C. Cole. On the Alabama State Archives site, the card listed his name as S C Cole, his death as 1/26/1865 and request made by Mrs. M C Cole, widow. At the time of application, Martha was living in Clay County. One listing (I think the Alabama Archives site) showed his rank as private in 30th Alabama Regiment Co I, but it does not show where he died or is buried.

I have been told by different people that he is the son of Hosea Isaiah Cole and Nancy Green; however, I haven't been able to find anything to verify this.

Margaret

Posted: 4 Aug 2012 4:17PM GMT
Please contact me at s_ward@bellsouth.net about Isaiah Hosea Cole, Nancy Green and Shockley Cole.

Thanks,

Shirley Cole Ward
Indian Springs, Alabama

Posted: 27 May 2013 6:51PM GMT
Shirley:

I just came across your reply. About the time you posted it, my computer was rather messed up; and I missed a number of emails. If you still have the information, I would like very much to hear from you.

Thanks much,
Margaret Cole

Posted: 28 May 2013 2:27AM GMT
Margaret, yes we have Charles Shockley Cole in our line and I have done some research on him. He was brother to my great great grandfather Noah Cole. We have a COLE family group on facebook with a lot of cousins, etc. Are you on Facebook by chance? Interestingly enough I grew up in Oxford, Alabama and got married in Talladega, Alabama...it was interesting to find he lived there.

Shirley Cole Ward

Posted: 28 May 2013 11:30PM GMT
You have really cleared up a lot of questions for me. I had been so confused since a couple of people had told me that Hosea and Nancy were his parents.

Mattie Cole Stanfield gave my parents a copy of her book "Southern Cole Families", and I had been all through it looking for any reference to Shockley Cole. Mrs. Stanfield didn't include Shockley as one of Hosea's sons. She made reference to a family bible and material from members of Hosea's families. In some correspondence with a descendant of James Green Cole, he advised that in his research he had not found any reference to Shockley. With all of that, I was left wondering if Shockley just materialized out of air. I can't tell you how many Cole lines I looked at trying to find anything on my great, great grandfather. It is such a relief to know I can finally fill in a few leaves on my family tree.

Posted: 28 May 2013 11:30PM GMT
You have really cleared up a lot of questions for me. I had been so confused since a couple of people had told me that Hosea and Nancy were his parents.

Mattie Cole Stanfield gave my parents a copy of her book "Southern Cole Families", and I had been all through it looking for any reference to Shockley Cole. Mrs. Stanfield didn't include Shockley as one of Hosea's sons. She made reference to a family bible and material from members of Hosea's families. In some correspondence with a descendant of James Green Cole, he advised that in his research he had not found any reference to Shockley. With all of that, I was left wondering if Shockley just materialized out of air. I can't tell you how many Cole lines I looked at trying to find anything on my great, great grandfather. It is such a relief to know I can finally fill in a few leaves on my family tree.

Posted: 28 May 2013 11:37PM GMT
Shirley:

Sorry about the way my earlier message ended. I think I hit a key twice, and it sent the message twice.

I did want to say that you have been exceptionally helpful and thank you so much.

Right now, I'm not on Facebook.

Margaret

Posted: 29 May 2013 2:31AM GMT
I along with some others have been going into as much detail as we can thru Hosea Isaiah Cole's family...In Mattie Lou Cole Stanfield's book there are some things left out and she refers to that at times. Last night I went back in again and looked at Charles Shockley Cole and his wife Mrs. Barnes...I found on her death information that her husband was listed as William S. Cole...interesting...so I tried to do a search with that and no luck...I did however go researching into their children and found one had named a grandson William Shockley Cole...So the Shockley may have been a nickname that carried on...don't know...we will keep on plugging...I have a copy of some of the pages of Mattie's book also and will see what I can find out...Isaiah Hosea Cole and his wife ended up living in Randolph County....Talladega County as well as Clay County or nearby and a lot of the family lived in and around that area .
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions