Search for content in message boards

Family Tree Maker 2012 Sync Problems

Family Tree Maker 2012 Sync Problems

Posted: 25 Oct 2012 3:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
after 2 weeks of being unable to sync FTM with ancestry, I finally rang customer support today..........fat lot of good that did me

I was told to unlink my online tree, then open my backup and merge the files.........was emailed instructions to do this, that was a waste of time. the instructions are as clear as mud.

I now have 50,000 (well maybe not that many) back up files, nothing merged and still cant sync.

HELP!!!!!!!

Re: Family Tree Maker 2012 Sync Problems

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 6:43PM GMT
I have tried for weeks to get this mess fixed I have called customer support I have used troubleshooting articles everything and it will not work. There is something wrong with the software and they refuse the fix it

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 7:43PM GMT
That has not been my experience at all. Successful synching of multiple trees is my norm.

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 8:07PM GMT
Well I am so happy for you. I tried it on my home computer and my work computer. I did everything they recommended. Frankly after numerous calls I gave up

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 8:08PM GMT
Well I am so happy for you. I tried it on my home computer and my work computer. I did everything they recommended. Frankly after numerous calls I gave up

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 8:28PM GMT
You can say that again!

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 8:35PM GMT
did anyone ever help you?

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 9:33PM GMT
So, I've seen a couple threads sounding the same as this. I am in the same boat. I can't exactly help you, but I have found a possible reason for the issue. Mine also did this after I linked some of my contacts to their facebook profiles.

So as an experiment, I created two new family trees. One I created on Ancestry.com and another I created on my computer using FTM.

First I created one on Ancestry.com, then opened FTM 2012 and downloaded that tree to make a new file on my computer. All was syncing well, until I went back to the version on Ancestry.com and linked it to Facebook. Then on my next sync, it downloaded the changes but then said sync never finished. On subsequent syncs it shows me the same potential changes, but doesn't sync them again. It just finishes with a sync error.

Second, I created a new tree in FTM and uploaded it to Ancestry.com. Again, all was syncing well until I linked the people in the tree to Facebook. Then the same errors occur. So now, what I need to figure out is how to break that link to facebook. Hmmm. Anyone from Ancestry.com out there to help?

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 11:21AM GMT
Surnames: O'BREE LOVIS HERREEN etc.
Hello Daniel,

I am glad also that I am not the only one having troubles with Sync. This is the second time this year I have had dramas. The first time was before they had a massive bug fix, the second is today. I dont have anyone linked to Facebook but have added a couple of familoy as editors etc. I try to upload any changes and it crashes near the end of the Sync process.

I used a back up last time but I now have 5,500+ people again and the same problem has occured. Ancesrty need to fix this problem as I wont be spending hundreds of $$$$$ next year with my subscription again.

CHeers.

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 2:52PM GMT
Edited: 4 Nov 2012 2:53PM GMT
My guess is that when your sync fails repeatedly it often means that your sync files (in the hidden AppData folder) have been corrupted in some way. The only way to avoid starting over again is to backup these system files each time that you backup your tree. Then if you have a failure, you can fall back to something that was working.

In the latest update, they finally updated the built-in backup method so that it didn't break the link from FTM to AMT. I don't know if they also include the files from AppData with the backup. I've not tested that myself.

Not to discourage you both from trying to fix your broken syncs on your own. It may be possible to do something yet on your end, but I have no advice for that. My advice is for when you are up and sync'ing again that you backup frequently (and always after each successful sync)--and that you sync frequently as well to minimize the loss of work when there is a failure.

PS. Paul, it's generally bad form to include surnames with your postings that don't relate to those surnames. People searching for those names may find this post and be annoyed that it has nothing to do with the surname they're researching.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic