Search for content in message boards

BIBLER, Henry

BIBLER, Henry

Eloine Chesnut (View posts)
Posted: 14 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: ARMSTRONG, BIBLER, CASTER, CROWE, EHRHART, FRICK, GLASGOW, JETTER, JOURNEY, McFARLAND, SOMMERS, STONE, STONER, WARNOCK
Henry BIBLER, one of Noble townships well known and substantial farmers and landowners, now living retired on his well kept place on rural mail route No. 6 out of Portland, has been a resident of Jay county since the days of his early childhood and has by his own efforts built up an excellent piece of property in the community in which he lives. Mr. BIBLER was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, June 14, 1851, and is a son of Jacob and Anna ( FRICK ) BIBLER, both of whom were born in that same county but who later became residents of Jay county where their last days were spent. Jacob BIBLER was born on January 1, 1818, and grew to manhood in Fairfield county where he was married and where he resided until 1853 when he came over into Indiana with his family, driving through in a covered wagon, and settled on an eighty-acre farm he had bought three-fourths of a mile south of Salamonia in Madison township, this county. He improved that farm and there he and his wife spent the remainder of their lives, his death occurring on January 25, 1890. She survived him a little more than a year, her death occurring on April 12, 1891. They were the parents of seven children, five of whom are still living, the subject of this sketch having three sisters, Susanna, Mrs. Matilda STONER and Mrs. Mary K. CROWE. and a brother, Jacob BIBLER. As noted above, Henry BIBLER was about eighteen months old when he came to this county with his parents in 1853 and he grew to manhood here, receiving his schooling largely in the subscription schools of the period and in the Adkinson school. From the days of his boyhood he was an aid to his father in the labors of developing the farm and continued those labors until he was twenty-seven years of age, when he bought a tract of forty acres in Noble township, the place on which he is now living, paying $1,200 for the "forty," and proceeded to develop the same. It was in the spring of 1878 that Mr. BIBLER bought this place. He was married in the following fall and then established his home on the farm, to which he has added by purchase until now he is the owner of 117 acres and has an admirably equipped farm plant, including two sets of buildings, all these improvements having been made by himself. It was on October 10, 1878, that Henry BIBLER was united in marriage to Olive STONE, who was born in Noble township, this county, and who died on May 28, 1917. Mrs. BIBLER was a daughter of William I. and Margaret ( WARNOCK ) STONE, who were among the early settlers of Noble township. William I. STONE was the owner of an eighty-acre farm now owned by his grandson, Lewis STONE. To Henry and Olive (STONE) BIBLER were born twelve children, of whom nine are living, William J., John W., Cora A., Charles E., Alva C., Pearle G., Clarence V., Henry E. and Lulu O., the latter of whom is unmarried and is at home with her father. Two of Mr. BIBLER's children died in infancy and the third deceased, Anna M., married Thomas SOMMERS and died on July 20, 1920, leaving five children, Ansel H.,Leatha C., Laton G., Eva G. and Paul E. William J. BIBLER, eldest son of this family, now farming in Wayne township, married Ada CASTER and has had five children, three of whom, Arthur, Byron and Neolin, are living. John W. BIBLER, who is now farming in the vicinity of Greenville, (Darke County) Ohio, married Pearl JETTER and has two children, Olive and Lavon. Cora A. BIBLER married Orla JOURNEY, a farmer of Wayne township, and has four children, Garth, Doris, Olive and William JOURNEY. Charles E. BIBLER, who is farming in Pike township, married Ethel EHRHART and has four children, Charles, Robert, Louis and Jane. Alva C. BIBLER, who is farming in Noble township, married Ruth ARMSTRONG and has two children, Marie and Carl. Pearle G. BIBLER married Otto EHRHART, a mail carrier at Portland, and. has two children, Lois and Roger EHRHART. Clarence V. BIBLER, who is a bookkeeper in the office of the drain tile works at Portland, married Grace GLASGOW and has one child, a daughter, Dorothy H., and Henry E. BIBLER, the youngest son, who is now attending- the medical college at Indianapolis, (Marion Co, Indiana) married Marie McFARLAND.

ARMSTRONG, BIBLER, CASTER, CROWE, EHRHART, FRICK, GLASGOW, JETTER, JOURNEY, McFARLAND, SOMMERS, STONE, STONER, WARNOCK

IN, Jay Co., Marion Co
OH, Darke Co, Fairfield Co.

SOURCE: Milton T. Jay, M.D., History of Jay County Indiana, Historical Publishing Co., Indpls. 1922, Vol. II, pp.281-282. Transcribed by Eloine Chesnut.
Posted: 4 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 2 Nov 2001 6:07PM GMT
Surnames: Bibler, Ehrhart
My mother is Jean Bibler Shumaker -- her father is Charles E. Bibler and Ethel Mae Ehrhart. I am interested in any and all information on ancestry of both families. Henry Bibler, mentioned in this bio was my great grandfather. Both families are long residents of Jay County.

Re: Biblers

Posted: 5 Jan 2005 4:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Jan 2006 9:48PM GMT
Kathy,
Your maternal grandfather, Charles E. Bibler, was a brother to my maternal great-grandmother, Cora A. Bibler Journay. My grandmother was Doris Loraine Journay Campbell. I had a letter from your Uncle Louis Bibler of Kalispell, MT a couple of years ago after I wrote to him about his book about growing up in Jay County.

I can help provide you with some info on the Biblers, if you are interested.
Clinton J. Holloway

Re: BIBLER, Henry

Posted: 6 Jul 2008 11:05PM GMT
The Henry Bibler who is the subject of this bio was my great-grandfather. I have photos and more.

Posted: 28 Mar 2010 1:08AM GMT
Henry Bibler is also my Great-great Grandfather, I am Letha C.'s (Anna & Thomas) granddaughter and I am new to this. This is just so exciting.
Posted: 8 Jun 2012 2:09AM GMT
Surnames: Herny Bibler
On June 7, 2012 I had an email from pabibler asking about Charles. However, some glitch will not let me respond and he did not post his email address. Please email at milligan95@yahoo.com

Posted: 8 Jun 2012 2:11AM GMT
Neil has great stuff and is fun to correspond with...

Posted: 8 Jun 2012 4:55AM GMT
Thank you, sir. But, we've lost touch _ someone hijacked my email account a while ago. I got it back after a costly time _ but without any of the addresses! Lost a slew of genealogy contacts, including you. Email me?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions