Search for content in message boards

Looking for Daniels information

Looking for Daniels information

Posted: 11 Dec 2012 9:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Daniels, Williams
I am looking for information on the Daniels family in Washburn County. Specifically, I am looking for Albert Abraham Daniels, his son John Daniels (spouse Alvira Williams) and John's daughter Sarah Vinnie Daniels (married name Kessler).
I have already gathered census information on these people. I've been to the Washburn County Recorder's office and found birth, marriage and death info, as well as land records. But Albert died June 4, 1919, but his death is not recorded at the records office, nor is John's death, dated November 16, 1935. I got these dates from other people who did not cite their sources. I need to confirm their death dates with reliable sources. Also, Albert should be buried in the Earl Cemetery, but there is no headstone there, so I am trying to locate where he is buried. I am also looking for photos of these people. Thanks for any help!

Re: Looking for Daniels information

Posted: 11 Dec 2012 10:13PM GMT
Surnames: DANIELS, WILLIAMS, PASKE, JOHNSON, MISCHLER, WITTER, HALEY, MCNITT
I couldn't find any hard facts for you but I did find evidence that you have John Daniels correct death date. From notes that were gathered from the 21 Nov 1935 Spooner Advocate, on page 7 is John's obituary stating that he was born on 09 Jul 1863 and died 16 Nov 1935 at the age of 72. Elvira Williams was listed as his wife, with James, Mrs. Frank Paske, Albert, Dewey, Fred, Orrin, Rosette Johnson, Mrs. A. Mischler and Mrs. Harley Witter as his children. He was also survived by his siblings Sadie Haley and Mrs. A. McNitt. These notes also state that John is buried in the Earl Cemetery.

A transcription of Elvira's obituary can be found here: http://washburn.wigenweb.org/data/obituaries/d.htm#daniels-e... There are other Daniels family obituaries also listed on that page.

You may have to go to one of the neighboring counties to find John and Albert's death records. Rice Lake (in Barron Co.) was the nearest large(r) hospital in the area at that time. If they died in that county, their death record would be recorded there.

I hope this helps.

Posted: 11 Dec 2012 10:26PM GMT
It does help! Thank you! I appreciate the info on the obituary! I saw Alvira's obit on the Washburn County GenWeb page, thanks!

Short of going to the Area Research Center in Superior, is there somewhere else I might find John's obit. I live in Washington State, so getting there is not easy. Or, is there someone out there who might be willing to get a photocopy of the obit and sent it to me? That's sort of an imposing question, but I thought I'd try anyway.

Also, one other question: Is there anyone who might be aware of an illegitimate birth in this particular Daniels line that may invalidate the Daniels liniage?

Thanks again!

Posted: 11 Dec 2012 11:07PM GMT
The Spooner Library (spooner.wislib.org/) has most of the old newspapers on microfilm. Since you now have a date of publication, as well as the page number, maybe someone there would be kind enough to do a lookup for you.

Otherwise the ARC/Superior would be a good place to get info from.

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 4:51PM GMT
I am a volunteer at the Washburn County Historical Society and will look up that obit tomorrow, if you send my your email address I can send it to you.

Shelley Fox

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 5:34PM GMT
Hi Shelley,

Thank you for offering to do the lookup for John Daniels' obituary.

Would you consider posting the obit here on this board so that others who may be looking for it may also benefit from your generous work? I am asking because these message boards are for more than just answering queries. They are also a means of storing data (see the classification section) that may someday be lost due to paper deterioration, brittle microfilm, etc.

Thanks so much for your consideration of this matter.

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 8:16PM GMT
John Daniels Obit
from Spooner Advocate 21 Nov 1935 page 7

John Daniels, a resident of the town of Springbrook during the past 35 years, died at his home there on Nov. 16 1935, at the age of 72 years, the cause of his death being apoplexy.
Deceased was born in Rockford IL, Juy 9 1863, where he spent his early life, growing to young manhood, and on May 15 1885 we was married to Elvira Williams at Brodhead, WI. They located on a farm there, continuing to reside thereon until Jan 2 1900, when the family moved to this county and settled in the town of Springbrook where the subject of this sketch spent the remainder of his life.
Two children, a son, James and a daughter, Mrs. Frank Paske, preceded their father in death.
Surviving with the widow are seven sons, Albert, Dewey, Fred and Orrin, of Earl and Ollie, Jack and Lee of Spooner; three daughters, Mrs. Rosette Johnson of Faribault, MN; Mrs A Mischler of Spooner; and Mrs. Harley Witter of Rice Lake, WI. Fifty-six grandchildren and six great-grandchildren also survive as do two sisters, Mrs Sadie Hawley of Madison and Mrs S. McNitt of Lampson.
Funeral services were held Monday, Nov 18 at two o'clock, from the Congregational church at Earl, Rev. Austin officiating and interment took place at the Earl Cemetery.

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 10:07PM GMT
Thank you so much, Shelley, for sharing your research with everyone who visits this message board. It will mean so much to many people, both now and in years to come. Your help is genuinely appreciated. :-)

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 1:48AM GMT
no problem, let me know anytime, I live in Washburn county and am a volunteer at the Washburn County Historical Society so I do have access to many wonderful resources.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic