Search for content in message boards

Phineas Camp b-1-13-1744 Rev. War

Phineas Camp b-1-13-1744 Rev. War

Bernice (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 2001 1:10AM GMT
Classification: Military
Surnames: Camp
Anyone that can give me instructions as to how to use the DAR information posted on the Camp Family website <www.clipper.net/-genlady/>; I am looking for information about Phineas Camp and his service in the Rev. War. Thanks, Bernice

Re: Phineas Camp b-1-13-1744 Rev. War

C Saubert (View posts)
Posted: 19 Aug 2003 6:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Camp
Also looking for information on Phineas 1744 / 1843. Contacted DAR waiting for a reply and I will post, when received.
Found a reference in an unlikey place.
" History of Joseph Smith " Vol 4, Chapter 21, page 325
Joseph refers to Phineas as Revolutionary patriot who never took medicine until age of 88.

Also son Phineas {Rev} 1785 / 1868 wrote " Poems of the Mohawk Valley", published by Curtis & Whits 1859, Utica, NY. Colgate University has a Copy but for reference only.

Looking for a copy

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 2:34AM GMT
Surnames: Camp, Hurtt, Willis, Emory
Can you share some information about this Phineas Camp? I was going to check the Baltimore MD obituaries (7/20/1843) about a Phineas Camp who died 7/13/1843. Thanks.

Posted: 7 Aug 2011 8:24PM GMT
appeared, not long since, in the public prints, that PHINEAS CAMP, a Revolutionary Patriot, was dead, aged ninety-nine years and six months. The writer of this exit says: "Temperance in eating and drinking, and avoiding medicine &c., left him in the enjoyment of his faculties, in full energy, during a long life." He took no medicine until after he was eighty years old. From this fact alone, it is possible that if he had taken no medicine at all, he might have lived to be as old as Moses, one hundred and twenty years. { RLDS Church History, Vol. 21, #21, History of Joseph Smith, City of Nauvoo, Illinois, Sept. 15, 1843 Whole No. 81, page 325}

1744-45, January 13, baptized by the Rev. Nathan Chauncey in Durham Ct. The Phineas Camp
family home in Durham is a land mark and still stands. The family lived there until after 1790 when they moved to Whitesboro, New York. By profession Phineas was a Presbyterian minister of the Gospel until his death in 1843. Connecticut had a "State Religion" until 1812. if you were not a Congregationalist you got to pay higher taxes and were refused public office.

1777, Sept 16, took the oath of Freemen in Durham.

1790 Census Durham, Connecticut
Phineas Camp household consists of; 3 males over 16; Phineas 46, Amos 19 and Abraham 17, 3 males under 16; Samuel 15, Jonas 7 and Phineas 5, and 5 females; The mother Martha 44, Jerusha 12, Martha 10, Joanna 7 and Bella 5. The first Joanna died early and in 1790 the second Joanna was born.
PHINEAS HOME; DURHAM,CONNETICUT
According to a date carved on an interior wooden beam, the three-bay Phineas Camp House, on Main Street in Durham, was built in 1758. The property, including the house, a merchant shop and a barn, was sold to Phineas Camp in 1785 by his brother, Elnathan Camp, who had in turn bought the then new house from their father, John Camp, Jr., in 1760. In 1794, Phineas Camp sold the property to Phineas Squire, who then sold it back to Elnathan Camp. In 1808, Elnathan’s son, Sylvester Camp, sold it to Deacon Seth Seward, a wealthy shoemaker. The house then passed through many owners in the nineteenth century, during which time a Greek Revival addition was built on the southeast corner.
GRNDVIEW CEMETERY
Phinehas Camp / Birth: Jan. 13, 1745 Durham, Middlesex County, Connecticut, USA
Death: Jul. 13, 1843
Family links: / Parents:
John Camp (1710 - 1795) & Jerusha Parmelee Camp (1721 - 1744)
Children:
Jerusha Webster (1778 - 1847)*
Spouse:
Martha T. Hall Camp (1746 - 1831)*
Burial:
Grandview Cemetery , Whitesboro, Oneida County, New York, USA
Created by:
Kathy Last / Record added: Jun 17, 2007 / Find A Grave Memorial# 19936414
1791, Feb Indians of the Iroquois tribe lived by the river when the town of Owego was organized
1788 - there are three families in Oneida County, New York, CAMP, ELY, and GASKILL
1798, April 3, the first town meeting for Deerfield, New York was at the house of Ezra Payne. The following members of the Camp family are elected: Justice of the Peace, Abraham Camp, Assessor Phineas Camp, Poundmaster Phineas Camp. re: Our County and It's People Chapter 32, The Town of Deerfield
1802 - Feb. 17, the towns of Verona and Vernon were formed from Whitestown

1800 - New York Census, Oneida County, M32, Roll 23, part 1,page 201A,
Males - , two 10 to 16, one 16 to 26, and one 45 plus
Females - one 10 to 16, two 26 to 45, and one 45 plus
1817 - April 7, the town of Utica was formed from the town of Whitestown
1818 May 1, Phineas is 'Examined' and accepted into the 1st Presbyterian Church of Whitesboro, New York.
1820 - New York Census, Deerfield, Oneida County, page 234.
1827 - April 12, New Hartford was formed from the town of Whitestown.
1830 - New York Census, Deerfield, Oneida County, page 234.
1840 - New York Census, Whitestown, Oneida County, page138.
1860 - New York Census,Whitestown, Oneida County, page289.
1843 - Phineas died at age 99. Internment at the Grand View Cemetery, in Whitestown, Oneida
County, New York [ from Oneida County Historical Society Cemetery file].

Posted: 26 Sep 2011 11:46PM GMT
I am trying to find information about the life of the Phineas Camp b.1785 d.1868 who was the son of Phineas Camp and wrote the book "Poems of the Mohawk Valley" which was published in 1859. I understand he was a minister. Also, is there any relationship to a Phineas Camp Headley who was also a minister during this time perid?? I have a signed copy of the book to his niece ?Buphimia? I think he may have lived his later years in Dixon, Il. Also, I think some of his nephews were friends of Abraham Lincoln. Also there was a James L. Camp who was postmaster of Dixon, Il in 1866. Any information would be helpful. Thank you. You can e-mail at nesea2001@yahoo.com

Posted: 27 Sep 2011 9:32PM GMT
Received your post from Ancestry about Phineas. We have traced the Rand lineage back to Francis Rand in NH 1631 and Phineas comes into the family through Betsy Camp b-1806 married to Clark Rand.(Maine) Betsy is the daughter of Jonas Camp 1772 (Durham Ct.) and the granddaughter of Phineas Camp b 1743 and Martha Hall. The only information I have about Phineas-1743 is what is already posted on the Forum. Interesting to have a book written so long ago. I am not actively searching these years, but very interested in the period prior to the Rev. War back to 1631. A fun hobby. Good luck with your search. Bernice

Posted: 21 Nov 2011 10:07PM GMT
My gggg grandfather Andrew Camp(s) was born in Nova Scotia on Phinney Mt. His father was Father was Ephraim Camp married to Latitia Clemments and his father was Abraham Camp and his wife was Louisa. I'm wondering if there is any relationship between the Camps of Nova Scotia and the Camps in Connecticut? They are the only Camp family I can find in Nova Scotia. I believe they arrived after the Revolutionary War. Did any of Phineas descendants fight in the war and/or settle in Nova Scotia?
Christle

Posted: 6 Oct 2013 7:49PM GMT
Did you ever find any proof of Phineas' military service? I am searching for the same and cannot find anything. I have located two obits indicating that he was a Revolutionary War soldier, but can find no documentation. Thanks.

Posted: 6 Oct 2013 8:29PM GMT
I cannot locate the "History of Joseph Smith" vol. 4, chap 21, page 325, that you refer to. Can you provide more detailed information? Perhaps the author, date published? Is this the exact title? Is this a book or some other type of church document? Thank you for your assistance.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions