Search for content in message boards

General John Lacey and son Thomas R Lacey

General John Lacey and son Thomas R Lacey

Posted: 7 Jul 2011 4:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lacey
Hi,

My name is Shelley Winsor and I came across Thomas R Lacey and General John Lacey in the search for my family roots. According to hints I received Thomas R Lacey is my 4th great grandfather and General John Lacey is my 5th great grandfather.

What I find puzzling is that the hints indicated that Thomas R Lacey was born in Exploits Island, Newfoundland while all his siblings were born in the states. Both his parents were born in the states and General John Lacey is a hero from the American Revolutionary War. Why was General John Lacey in Exploits Island, Newfoundland long enough to have a baby? Thomas's mother and John's wife, Anastasia Reynolds had children after Thomas was born and the hints show them all as being born in the states. Were John and Anastasia in Newfoundland for military purposes? At the time Newfoundland was a dominion or territory of Britain.

The hints also indicate that Thomas R Lacey's children were born and died in Exploits Newfoundland. So was Thomas born there, but grew up in the states and moved back to Exploits with his wife and then have his children only to move back to the states? One record shows his death in New Jersey.

Does anyone have Thomas R Lacey in their family tree and show him as being born in Exploits Island, Newfoundland?
Can anyone verify that he was born there and possibly have a story about it?

Re: General John Lacey and son Thomas R Lacey

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 10:57PM GMT
Surnames: Lacy Lacey
The hints are many times inaccurate; some refer to a similar person with same name, that was copied to a tree by someone else not paying attention. Until you find a reliable source document that gives that as his birthplace, I wouldn't attach too much importance to it, although of course you should check it out. I hope someone here has a solid explanation.

But to illustrate the inaccuracies in the hints, I have someone in my tree named Rebecca Adams; the daughter of John Adams and Abigail Smith.
Every other tree at Ancestry claims this is the daughter of President John Adams. She is not, they all have the same names but were born a hundred+ years earlier. But the error keeps being copied over and over, I guess nobody wants to give up a president. ;)

I wonder if you have any living male Laceys that would take the Y-DNA test for ancestry's database?

Re: General John Lacey and son Thomas R Lacey

Posted: 4 Jan 2012 5:46PM GMT
Surnames: Pye, Lacy, Durdle, Snow, Pike, Hudson
I don't have info on your Thomas or John, but I have to respond because so few people are interested in Lacy/Lacey people from NFLD. My gt. grandmother was Elizabeth Rachel Lacy from Blackhead NFLD, b. 1838. Her father was Philip and her mother was Mary Durdle. Until recently, it was believed her father was John Lacy who had married Esther Reynolds. I thought this similarity to your John and Anastasia interesting. Family lore says my Lacy's came from Ireland. This still needs to be proved. Be aware that Newfie's often use their middle name for everyday purposes. In my case, looking for Rachel, the name she used, was fruitless because legal docs were all listed as Elizabeth. She married John Charles Pye in Battle Harbor Labrador and my grandfather was born at Cape St. Charles. Another point, during the Am. Rev. War the Brits conscripted Americans to serve on their ships. At war's end, they dropped them off at British ports, as was the case for one of my Pye ancestors, which is how he got to NFLD.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic