Search for content in message boards

Removing "England" from place names

Removing "England" from place names

Posted: 30 Oct 2012 4:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Using FTM 2011 [20.0.0.368] - FTM insists on adding ", England" to resolved place names. I have set the option to "Exclude selected country from resolved place names - England" but still FTM insists on adding it to most (not all) names. If I attempt to edit the placename in the "Places" tab, then I seem to have a 50-50 chance of deleting the place altogether.

All suggestions (except for "convert to TMG") gratefully accepted.

Re: Removing "England" from place names

Posted: 30 Oct 2012 5:22PM GMT
Edited: 30 Oct 2012 6:07PM GMT
The Resolving Place Names capability is simply a tool, an assistant, a guide - and nothing more. You are not restricted to what it suggests, nor required to use it.

If you currently have England in a name and don't want it:

1) Select the name
2) Right click
3) Choose "Change the name" from right click menu
4) Erase England
5) Click ok

You're done - England is gone for that place.

You can also remove the England at the Place Name Field for a fact at the Person tab of the People Workspace. Just erase England from the place name.

You may get a screen that says you have 500 other places of that same name with England - do you want to remove England for the other 499 also? Reply yes.

Repeat one or the other of these steps for everyplace where you have England.

That said, why do that? Why not just hide it? If you hide it, you can restore England with one click. If you erase England, you can't get England back in place names without entering them all over again.

The capability at Tools > Options is for presentation purposes only. If a name of a country is entered, it will be "hidden" from view, but is still there. It is used for either hiding or showing countries in the Place Workspace or in reports.

You can also get rid of the icons about resolving at:

Tools > Options > Warnings

Uncheck: Show Unrecognized Place Name Indicators.

This will remove the icon which shows if places are resolved or not. Since you are going to remove all instances of England, all of your England places will be unresolved. You may as well just get rid of the indicator/icon.

The Place Name Authority is useful for checking spelling (but there are spelling errors in the PNA), and a rather clumsy county lookup tool - there are better ones on the web. Also, as has been said here in countless threads, is focused on the CURRENT names of places, not their historical or alternative names.

Posted: 30 Oct 2012 6:47PM GMT
If only it were that simple. Your sequence -

--- 1) Select the name
--- 2) Right click
--- 3) Choose "Change the name" from right click menu
--- 4) Erase England
--- 5) Click ok

Is precisely what I have done - many times. The problem is that as soon as I click "OK" ", England" pops back up on the end of my place name. It is impossible to get out of that screen with a shortened place name.

You also suggest that I "just hide it" - How? As I said in my post, the only option I can find for that does not work.

And yes, I do want to remove England permanently; the country name is only relevant for places outside the UK (about 30 of 720).

Posted: 30 Oct 2012 7:46PM GMT
Edited: 30 Oct 2012 7:48PM GMT
You said: "The problem is that as soon as I click "OK" ", England" pops back up on the end of my place name. It is impossible to get out of that screen with a shortened place name."

The only way that can happen is if you choose:

RESOLVE this place name, rather than
CHANGE this place name.

If you follow the steps that I gave you, I guarantee you that England is removed from the place name and will NOT reappear. If you are getting the country added back, you are RESOLVING the name not CHANGING it. (But, in that case, you don't have to see it if you choose to ignore that country at Tools > Options).

Resolving always adds the country back, but it won't show if you have that country selected at Tools > Options to ignore it. Changing a name is accepted the way you type it - ie no country. You can choose a name from a picklist, but if that entry is in the PNA, it will be accepted as resolved and if the country is the one chosen to ignore at Tools > Options, the country won't show.

You said: "You also suggest that I "just hide it" - How? As I said in my post, the only option I can find for that does not work."

Yes, it works fine. If you elect to omit a country from Place Names at Tools > Options, the county you select will be hidden and will not show in the Places Workspace for RESOLVED places.

Unresolved places will continue to show the country you have chosen. You would need to

1) erase England from their entry (for example, a historical name you want to keep) or
2) resolve the name - as once the place is resolved, you can't see the country if you have chosen to ignore that country at Tools > Options.

Posted: 30 Oct 2012 8:48PM GMT
silverfox3280 comment

"You may get a screen that says you have 500 other places of that same name with England - do you want to remove England for the other 499 also? Reply yes."

This may be a potentially dangerous thing to do.

Suppose that 300 of those place names only have the word "England" in the Place Name field. If you tell it yes to remove the place name couldn't/wouldn't you end up with 300 Place Name Fields that are completely blank

I don't know the answer to this but a word of caution is in order

Posted: 31 Oct 2012 3:19AM GMT
Hi KathyMarieAnn:

That isn't the way it works. I'm sorry if the way I worded my response misled you.

If you want to change from:

Somerset, England

You replace it with.

Somerset

One replaces the other. It's not a case of just pulling out the text string "England".

One could try to do a search and replace in the People Workspace, but I don't see how that could work on the country, as you would have to remove the preceding comma and space - I don't see what one could replace the comma-space-country with. I guess you could try replacing it with a space or a "sticky-space", but I don't know if that would work.

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 8:00PM GMT
I've just upgraded from FTM 2011 to FTM 2012 and - hey Presto! - everything works as you say, and as the help files suggest. It seems the problem was specific to the older version.

Thanks for all your attempts to sort things out for me.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic