Search for content in message boards

Family Tree Maker Management Strategy

Family Tree Maker Management Strategy

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 4:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello

I have been reading the FAQ's and looking at some of the Webinars and searching the forums to answer this question.

I have built my family tree which consists of my wife and as the starting point.
Now I want to keep this tree as the master and have Family trees for the Family Name of our Parents. Is there a way to manage a master tree in such a manner that will update update related trees?

I believe that this approach would benefit my 2nd cousins etc to better visualize the family tree.

The only thing I can see and do at this moment is to create and maintain additional trees manually.

My wife and I have separate accounts for Ancestry.com and one Family Tree Maker for Mac that I have just purchased last week and I need to manage my family more effectively.

Thanks for your help

Dale

Re: Family Tree Maker Management Strategy

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 10:08AM GMT
Trees on Ancestry are unrelated to other trees and there is no way to manage/handle them except as individual trees.

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 12:52PM GMT
Thanks for the quick reply!

With that information in hand now perhaps I can try a different angle.
What can I do to duplicate the tree then remove the family lines to show only what I need?

Thanks

Dale

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 1:28PM GMT
It's usually an awful lot of extra work to manage two overlapping trees. If these trees contain overlapping information, my recommendation is to just maintain one. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches.

To create a duplicate tree in FTM for windows (possibly the same on the mac), you go to file|export and filter the exported data to include the lines you want. The file then created can be imported into FTM and be the basis of a new tree, locally or synchronized with Ancestry.com. Hope that helps.

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 3:06PM GMT
Thanks for that Marco.
I can see where the headache would come in......
As long as I know how to do this I should be able to prepare the family tree for a member of the family and exclude all of the extra family lines that aren't all that relevant to the other side of the family.

Thanks for your insight.

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 3:41PM GMT
I don't have the experience that some of the others have, but I finally gave up on managing multiple trees for the lines in my family and combined them into one master. With some experience with the program you can report/chart the info you want. The advantage of having all info consistent and updated in one place prompted me to make the change. I always had something in the wrong line or not updated and excessive merging can lead to mistakes in the blink of an eye.

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 3:56PM GMT
They are ALL one Family as you move down the tree, so a single database makes since.

I have several external files, but these are mainly families of "Married in" with no children of this union.

I have done this on several "second" and "third" marriages and has worked for me and I have been able to provide the data to the people that want to know about it.

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 4:11PM GMT
The picture is becoming very with the experience of other coming through.
Thanks

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 5:52PM GMT
I have my wife's and my family all in one large database. As you get into your families you will find connection you had not idea existed. In my tree, I had always thought my parents were the first connection between the two family. Come to find out there was a connection about 15 years before my parents were married.

Just last night I realized to people in two different families were brother and sister, so by having them in one database it was easy to make the connection.

I don't think there is a way to share part of your database with your cousin. You can export part of you tree for you cousin. Or if you have an online tree, you can give him access to your tree.

While your cousin may not be interested in your wife's family, is there any reason you should not allow him access to your online tree? Personally even when give edit access to someone's online tree, I always give the information to them and let them add the information to their tree. If I add information to his tree, I may move his tree into a direction he did not want.

I don't have an online tree, but frequently share sub families with cousins from that subfamily. I have prepared four basic and extensive FTM books. Depending on the cousin's relationship I will send him one of the FTM Books or prepare a shorter book just for the portion of the family he is interested in. These FTM Books are not on paper, so when ever I print a book for someone it has the latest data in the database.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic