Search for content in message boards

Change an Individual Fact to a Shared Fact

Change an Individual Fact to a Shared Fact

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 11:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
How do I change an Individual Fact to a Shared Fact? When I open the properties dialogue box that choice is not available.

Thanks.

Karin Corbeil

Re: Change an Individual Fact to a Shared Fact

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 12:15PM GMT
Edited: 3 Nov 2012 12:17PM GMT
What fact are you talking about? "Shared facts" are just another name for facts regarding a marriage, such as mariage date and divorce date. They are not facts (like birthday) that can be shared between two individuals, such as twins.

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 12:17PM GMT
I have a custom fact nothing to do with marriage.

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 12:22PM GMT
Edited: 3 Nov 2012 12:32PM GMT
Most likely this is a "Individual Fact" and therefore can not be shared between two individuals.

EDIT: This is to say. "Shared facts" are marriage facts, "Individual Facts" are for individuals and not shared.

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 12:36PM GMT
If you want a fact to be shared between two people it must be added as a "shared fact" to start with.

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 12:39PM GMT
Okay...thanks.

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 4:45PM GMT
Edited: 3 Nov 2012 5:53PM GMT
As kj has pointed out, "Shared Facts" in FTM only has to do with facts to be shared with both a husband and wife.

For right now, you can "jerry-rig" shared facts by a shared source or source citation. For example, you can see all members of a family in a post-1880 census record by looking in the Source Workspace, selecting the source, then the citation, and see the people in that house attached at the bottom of the middle pane.

But all of the facts associated with that census record are still individual instances of individual facts.

Although changing the structure of FTM to enable a fact to be shared, and even have roles (like in a will: maker, executor, witness, legatee, named in property description, wife, son, daughter, grandchild, nephew, niece) would be nice - I doubt if it will ever be done. Now that FTM is "locked" into ancestry trees formats, they would have to change the structure of both at the same time. I may be wrong, but I don't see that happening. I think the "die is cast" on this issue.

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 5:53PM GMT
What I have added as a custom fact is "DNA match" information which would be shared by both husband and wife. When I first set up the custom fact I did not set it to "shared"....ergo my problem. Fortunately I only added it to about 40 people so I have set up a new custom fact under "shared" and moved the information from the "individual" one. It has solved the problem.

Thanks for the explanation.

Karin

Posted: 3 Dec 2012 10:26PM GMT
Hmmm - i'm going back to work i did a long time ago and starting to properly record Source/Citations for all my 'facts'. However - i'm wishing there was a way to have a shared 'Residence' (or possibly 'Census') fact. eg, I know from a census image that father, mother and 3 children are residing at a specific address at a specific date, but i need to create 5 facts in FTM, linked to the same citation, which for 250 people over 5 or 6 Census, is a lot of unnecessary(?) work ? :)

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 12:53AM GMT
Edited: 4 Dec 2012 1:00AM GMT
If you subscribe to ancestry, you can just merge the census records for the whole family in one operation. Ancestry/FTM will post the facts, source, citations, and image to the Name, birth, and residence facts for each person in a household from 1880-1940. Before 1880, it will only post name, birth and residence to one person at a time. This is because US censuses before 1880 didn't show relationships.

If you don't subscribe to ancestry, it's actually more work than you describe; as you have to make a fact or add a citations fro name, birth, and residence for each person in the house. A family of five will therefore need 15 facts and 15 citations. Beginning with FTM2012 (you didn't say which version you have), you can shorten this step by right-click copying a fact and right click pasting that fact to members of that person's immediate family.

I think it may be worth your while to subscribe to ancestry for a month and get all of your census, WWI draft registrations, Civil War records, plus whatever else you find - posted in that month.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic