Search for content in message boards

Loudoun Co.

Loudoun Co.

Marylin (View posts)
Posted: 20 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ansell, Ancell
I am a descendant of the Ansel family and it appears that they lived for quite some time in Loudoun Co. I have quite a bit of information but need help connecting family groups. Spelling may be with one or 2 ll's at end of name.

Davis & Ansell/Ancell

Ron Davis (View posts)
Posted: 27 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: DAVIS, ANSELL or ANCELL
Marylin,

My ggggrandparents Henry Meggs Davis & Catherine Ansell/Ancell were married in Loudoun County, VA in 1806. See below:

From "Loudoun Co. Marriages 1760-1850" by Vogt & Kethley:

Henry M. Davis & Catherine Ansell 25 Jan 1806; minister- John Littlejohn (Meth) - return of 15 Jan 1807

Catherine was the daughter of Leonidas Ansell & Anna Catharina

Does this family connect to yours?

Thanks for any information.

Ron Davis
Woodland, CA

Davis & Ansell

Ron Davis (View posts)
Posted: 28 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: DAVIS, ANSELL
Marylin.

Information that I have collected on the Ansell family:

Information from Jerry Jones of Mercer County, MO wich is corrected in the next correspondance with Nelda Simpkins.

"Generation No. 4

10. Leonidas Ansell. He married 11. Susannah Frye.

11. Susannah Frye.

Child of Leonidas Ansell and Susannah Frye is:

5 i. Cathrine Ansell, born 1774; died 1853-1854 in Buried at the Moscow Cemetery, Mercer Co., Missouri or in Oregon; married Henry M. Davis 25-January-1806 in Loudon Co., Virginia."

Below is a copy of correspondance with Nelda Simpkins.

"Ron, So good to hear from you. The only thing I noted in error on the posting that you had was the Leonard Ansell/Ancel who married Susannah Frye. That is Leonard the son of Leonard Ansell/Ancel and Anna Catharina ?, last name unknown. Anna Catharina is the mother of Catharine Ansell/Ancel who married Henry M. Davis Children of Leonard Ansell/ and Anna Catharina are:
(1) Peter b. Aug. 23, 1770 and d. May 21, 1857 m. Elizabeth Frey Aug. 13, 1793.
(2) Michael b. ca 1773 and d. ca 1852 married Catherine Finecoats 28 March 1796
(3) Leonard married Susannah Fry March 1, 1803
(4) Susanna (mentally retarded) called a lunatic in adm. of estate papers.
(5) Margaret (Peggy) b. July 1, 1768 and d. Oct. 19, 1851 married Nicholas Fry March 11, 1794.
(6) Catharine b. 1774 and d. 1853 in Mercer Co., MO, buried in Moscow Cemetery.
(7) Dorothea (Dolly)
(8) Johannes
(9) Melchor b. Dec. 21, 1780 and death date unknown. Married Elizabeth ? b. Dec. 20, 1780, d. unknown. Child Polly b. Nov. 6, 1805 d. unk married to James Perry b. May 14, 1792 and d. unk. Married Mar. 18, 1826 in Campbell Co., W. Virginia.
(10) Magdalene b. ca 1782-1787 and d. ca 1794-1797/ Died at age 12 yrs 2 mo and 16 day.

Peter and Michael moved to Somerset Co., PA. From there, Peter and his family moved on to Ohio. Johannes and Susannah also moved to Ohio. Melchor moved to W. VA and then on to Illinois.

As I told you, I am of the lineage of Jonathan Meigs Davis and Elizabeth Constable. I can send you quite a bit of info on this line if you will send me your mailing address. I am not good at trying to send attachments via E-mail. Lets keep in touch. Are you of the lineage of Floyd M. Davis born October 2, 1849 in Mercer Co., MO and died 1930 in South Dakota? If so, he is a brother of my ancestor James Bell Davis b. May 14, 1852 in Adel, (Mercer Co.), MO and D. December 26, 1889 in Cainsville, (Mercer), MO. James Bell married Sarah Jane Booth, January 30, 1873 in Mercer Co. She was the daughter of Charles Booth Jr. and Rebecca Mullins. James Bell and Sarah Jane are my paternal Great grandparents, although I never knew them. Sarah Jane was b. 20 May 1852 in Cainsville, (Mercer), MO and died June 27, 1930 in Cainsville, MO. She was left a widow at a very young age with a house full of children. Her last child was born in 1890 after the death of James Bell in Dec. 1889. Happy Hunting. NELDA"

From Pat Duncan

From "Loudoun Co. Marriages 1760-1850" by Vogt & Kethley:

Henry M. Davis & Catherine Ansell 25 Jan 1806; minister- John
Littlejohn (Meth) - return of 15 Jan 1807

Unfortunately, early marriage returns rarely listed parents - usually only
the people posting the bond or attesting to age. In this case there was
apparently only the names of the marrying parties.

"The only additional information is that John Littleton, a Methodist
minister, performed the marriage. He was a circuit minister who
traveled around. Unless a bond was issued or someone had to verify the
ages, little information was ever given other than the names of the
bride and groom.

You probably already have this information, but here are abstracts from
a book I am currently writing from the will books.

ANSELL, Leonard

Appraisal/inventory of 27 Feb 1805: farm and household items, totaling
$941. Appraisers: Samuel CLAPHAM, Isaac STEERE, Enoch FRANCIS.
Returned to Court 13 May 1805. [Book G, page 367]

Settlement of 23 Dec 1809 with Admr Leonard ANSELL: payments, etc.
totaling £419.5.8. Subscribers: John HAMILTON, Aaron SANDERS, Saml.
CLAPHAM. Advancements to Nicholas FRY, Henry M. DAVIS, and Dolly
ANSELL, Susanna ANSELL has received no advancements. Returned to Court
14 Oct 1811. [Book K, page 50]

ANSELL, Susannah

Settlement of 18 Nov 1825 with Isaac STEER dec'd late her committee
(Susannah is an idiot): Court order dated ___ 1825, payments totaling
$936.81, Mechor ANSELL her brother now takes care of her. Returned to
Court 13 Feb 1826. [Book Q, page 37]

Sorry there wasn't anything else.

Pat Duncan
p.duncan@worldnet.att.net

From FamilySearch:

LEONARD ANSEL
Sex: M
Marriage(s):
Spouse: SUSANNAH FRY
Marriage: 1 Mar 1803 Loudoun, Virginia

NICHOLAS FRY
Sex: M
Marriage(s):
Spouse: MARGARET ANSEIL
Marriage: 11 Mar 1794 Loudoun, Virginia

Dolly ANSEL
Sex: F
Event(s):
Christening: 1 Jan 1759 Worplesdon, Surrey, England
Parents:
Father: Henry ANSEL
Mother:

I would appreciate any information that you are willing to share.

Thank you in advance,

Ron

Leonidas Ansel

Marylin (View posts)
Surnames: Ansell
Yes, now I see in my family group sheets the marriage of Catherine Ansell to Henry Davis but I had March instead of January. Is the "Loudon Co. Marriages 1760 to 1850" a book or CD or film? It is the same family. I am a descendant of Catherine's brother, Michael who married Catherine Finecoats. I have some family group information I can share if interested. Also interested in anything you might have.

Thanks, Marylin Benfield, Brookings, South Dakota

Davis & Ansell

Ron Davis (View posts)
Surnames: DAVIS, ANSELL
Marylin,

My understanding is that Leonidas Ansell, Jr. married Susannah Frye. That is about all that I know at this point.

Ron

Ansell/Ancell

Marylin (View posts)
Surnames: Ansell
It's possible there is a connection but I have a Leonard Ansell married to a Susannah Frey 1803 in Loudon Co., Va. Do you know any of Leonidas' siblings or what country he came from?

Ansel information

Marylin Benfield (View posts)
Posted: 29 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Ansel
Ron,

Thank you for the information. Following is the list of information additions or changes to the information you sent me followed by more pedigree information and my own lineage.

Additions and corrections:
1. Leonard Ansell (married to Anna Catharina) is Johann Leonard Ansell born 28 June 1745 Wuerttemberg, Germany, died 1804, resided in Loudoun Co., VA and Lancaster Co., PA, farmer.
2. Peter baptized Aug 24, 1770 New Jerusalem Evangelical Lutheran Church (NJELC), Lovettsville, Loudoun Co., VA, died Clayton Twp, Perry Co., Ohio, married Elizabeth Frey or Freiyin at Lovettsville.
3. Michael (see descendancy later)
4. Susanna (mentally retarded) born 30 Aug 1788, chr NJELC
5. Margaret married Nicholas Fry or Frey.
7. Dorothea born 25 May 1786, chr NJELC
8. Johannes (John) b 5 mar 1791, chr NJELC, in Upper Turkey foot Twp, Somerset Co., PA in 1848
9. Melchor, I had born 2 Sept 1780
10. Magdelene, I had born 1792-1793, chr NJELC
11. Anne born 4 Feb 1808, Somerset Co., PA

Question: Did Peter go to Somerset Co. the same time as Michael, do we have more specific information on when?
Question: Do we know when Peter moved to Ohio and where in Ohio?
Question: I'm assuming the Susannah who moved with Johannes was the mentally retarded sister, when did they move to Ohio and where?
Question: When did Melchor move to W. VA and on to Illinois and what areas in those states?

Johann Leonard's parents: John Peter Ansel born abt 1715 Maichingen, Wurtemberg, Germany, died 1777-1778, Lutheran, cordwainer, to Philadelphia 1752. Resided in Brecknock Twp., Lancaster Co., PA (bought land from Penn heirs in 1758). Came here on ship Anderson. Married Anna Margretha Schaller 24 June 1742 Eschelbach Lutheran Church, Maichingen, Boblinger Amts, Wurtemberg, Germany, still alive in 1777 (father Michael Schaller, "citizen"), Anna Margretha died 24 June 1742.

Siblings of Johann Leonard, other children of John Peter Ansel and Anna Margretha:
1. Johann Leonard b 15 Aug 1743, died 1744, Wuerrtemberg, Germany
2. Johann Leonard (married to Anna Catherina)
3. Maria Magdalena b 20 Dec 1748, married Jacob Roth (son of Hans Georg and Dorothea Roth)
4. Catharina married Daniel roth (son of Hans Georg and Dorothea Roth)
5. Johann Martin born 1760, died 2 Oct 1841,1819 married Susan Stover, born 9 June 1779, died 31 Dec 1846

John Peter Ansel's father: Johann Michael born about 1685 Maichingen, Wurtemberg, Germany

My ancestry:
Michael Ansel born 1773 Lancaster Co., PA, died 1852 in Somerset City, Somerset Co., PA, farmer, Lutheran, married 20 Mar 1796 Catharina Finecoats born 1785, died after 1859 (family Lutheran, father Michael, resided in Loudoun Co., VA and Somerset Co., PA).
Children: Michael (see below), Maria Magdalena (Mary Polly), Catherine, Elizabeth, Susannah, Margaret, Sarah (Sally), Hanah, John, Rachel (if interested I have more information on these but since it wasn't your direct descendancy wasn't sure you'd want it).

Michael Ansel Jr. (son of Michael Ansel Sr. and Finecoats) born 9 Nov 1797 Loudoun Co., VA, married Catherine (possibly Nelson or Menieklo) about 1810, on 1860 Turkeyfoot, Somerset Co., PA census, on 1870 Fayette Co., PA census age 70 as milltender (Roger's Mill). Michael and Catherine had 5 children: Alexander, John, George, Henry (or Isaac) and Mary Ann. All stayed in Pennsylvania except Henry who seems to have disappeared.

I believe Henry is also Isaac (maybe one is middle name) who married someone named Malinda. They had 2 children, Allen and my gggrandmother, Mary Lucinda Ansel. By 1870 Malinda, Allen and Mary Lucinda were living with Michael Jr. in Fayette Co., PA. On Allen's 2nd marriage record late 1800s he lists his parents as Isaac and Malinda Ansel, said he was born in Perryopolis, PA, currently living in Sherrick's Station, PA. I believe this Henry/Isaac died in the late 1850s to mid 1860s but I do not know where. He and Malinda's daughter, Mary Lucinda, my gggrandmother married Henry Cossel and moved to Illinois then to Indiana. Their son, John Cossel married America Bailey in Indiana. John and America are the parents of my grandfather, Lloyd William Cossel (married to Fae Hortense Cossel in Indiana). Lloyd "Bill" and Fae are my mother's parents. My Mom is Mabel Jerrel Cossel Plant and lives in Indiana where I grew up. My husband and I moved to South Dakota 20 years ago.

To date I have had no luck verifying the connection between Michael Ansel Jr and Henry/Isaac. No one seems to know what happened to him.

Marylin

Re: Loudoun Co.

Marilyn Marlow (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 2002 2:05PM GMT
Surnames: Frye, Tribby, Putman
Hello everyone I have a Elizabeth Frey(Fry) daughter of Nicholas Frye married Peter Ansell Aug 13,1793. Nicholas Frye (father of Elizabeth) married Peter Ansell's sister Margaret March 11,1794. Not only were Nicholas and Peter father in law and son in law they were also brother in laws. Marilyn

Re: Loudoun Co. Nicholas Fry and dau. Catherine Fry Johnson

Christos Christou, Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2004 6:15PM GMT
Surnames: Barnhouse Fry Johnson White
I would be very interested in this family and learning the sources of your information. My sons descend from this line and I want to obtain the original records as we still live in the area and would need them for submission on an SAR application.

Catherine Fry born 1789 dau of Nicholas and first wife Catherine married John Johnson. Their daughter Sarah Margaret Johnson married John Barnhouse.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions