Search for content in message boards

"Create Chart" forces shut down of FTM 2012

"Create Chart" forces shut down of FTM 2012

Posted: 7 Nov 2012 7:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to create descendant and pedigree charts. Every time I click the "Create Chart" button, FTM shuts down. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions on how to resolve this would be appreciated. I did compact my tree before trying it again.

Re: "Create Chart" forces shut down of FTM 2012

Posted: 7 Nov 2012 7:32PM GMT
Does it shut down immediately with no message?

Or does it "hang" for a lengthy time and finally give you a Windows message that FTM is not working and is do you wan to shut it down. This could mean a memory problem.

Have you done the standard things that you might do when things go awry:

1) Compact the file
2) Exit the program
3) Restart your computer (or shut down and start again)
4) Clear cache

etc.

Posted: 7 Nov 2012 7:44PM GMT
It shuts down completely with no message. I tried this yesterday and today and I completed all 4 steps you mentioned.

Posted: 7 Nov 2012 7:54PM GMT
Edited: 7 Nov 2012 7:55PM GMT
The only next step I can think of is to call ancestry. Click on the Help button in the upper right to find their 800 number.

If you are not satisfied when you call, try calling later and getting a different support person. Some are new, some are old, and some are just unknowledgable.

Posted: 7 Nov 2012 10:09PM GMT
Sometimes I can clear up mysterious printing problems by cleaning up the hard drive under the windows explorer (right click on drive) Windows is very sloppy in cleaning up after itself and sometimes leaves huge amounts of .tmp and old working files that suck up drive space and memory.

Posted: 8 Nov 2012 12:12AM GMT
Removing old file with frequently defraging your disk should be standard maintenance. Periodically you may wish to run the Check disc utility to find and fix any error.

If it is a Windows (I assume through Windows 9) there is a disc cleanu program in the properties of the disc. Also protection programs like McAfee have disc cleanup utilities.

All else fails you may wish to try an FTM back up file and see if that works.

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 8:35PM GMT
I had this same problem a week ago, what it you have somewhere is a corrupt file or files. The only way you can get around this is to reload a previous back up, prior to the error happening. problem will be that you don't know when the error happened. I tried a couple of different backups and the only one that worked was one from a year ago, so i have lost a years worth of data. Luckily for me i keep a hard copy of all my new details. It will take me months to key it all back in, but at least i know i haven't lost everything. The key in the future is to make regular backups and keep them on a separate hard drive.

Posted: 15 Nov 2012 9:42PM GMT
Thanks for your feedback everyone!

@Martin, I'm sorry you had to lose that much data. I had a backup from September to go back to. I can still open my corrupted file and view things but the GEDCOM export didn't function properly when opened in another genealogy program.

I am giving up on Family Tree Maker. I have used it since 1998 or 1999. (I think it was Version 6 I started with.) Ever since they did that major format change in the 2008 version (I think), the program is slow, buggy, and now totally unreliable. I cannot trust my 14 years of hard work in it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions