Search for content in message boards

John BIGGS VA born 1751

John BIGGS VA born 1751

Sarah K Shingleton (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jan 2002 8:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Feb 2005 6:40PM GMT
Surnames: Biggs
please email me for more information on this family, and let me know if you have any additional information.

http://www.geocities.com/sarahka1

he founder of my branch of the Biggs Family was John Biggs. He was born in 1751 - his birthplace is unknown. It is not certain where he came from. It has been said that he came here from England with 2 brothers, James and William. James settled in either KY or TN, William in MD, and John in VA. ***John, according to his Revolutionary War pension statement, fought in the Light Horse (or Dragoons). It is said that General George Washington preferred that these cavalry soldiers in these units be natives to the Colonies. That leads me to believe that John Biggs was probably born in this country.

John Biggs fought in the American Revolution. He enlisted in the 13th Infantry Regiment of the Virginia Continental Line in 1778. John enlisted as a private under Captain John Smith. On May 12, 1779, the unit was converted to the 9th Continental Line. At some time during the war, he served under Captain John Biggs (son of Benjamin Biggs of Ulster Co, NY). He also fought in the Light Horse, better known as the Light Dragoons, commanded by Colonel William Washington, cousin to the Commander in Chief. Although John does not specify in his statement, Colonel Washington commanded the 3rd Continental Light Dragoons. He was at the Battle of the Cowpens and the Battle of the Eutaw Springs, both fought in South Carolina. He was discharged from the army at Bacon's Bridge by General Nathaniel Greene. He served from the time of his enlistment in 1778 to the conclusion of the war.

I have recently discovered that there is a Bacon's Bridge Road in Summerville, SC, just northwest of Charleston, SC. Bacon's Bridge was originally known as Steven's Bridge, and is located on the Ashley River north of Old Fort Dorchester, South Carolina, northwest of Charleston, South Carolina. It was made a public bridge on June 23, 1722. Michael Bacon later acquired the land on which the bridge stood, and was known after that as Bacon's Bridge. Old Fort Dorchester was a colonial town and is now part of the National Park Service.

The original bridge is not in existence. The present concrete bridge has been moved upstream about 100 feet from the original site. It is said that there was an American headquarters at Bacon's Bridge, and that Patriot troops were stationed there. General Nathanael Green wrote some correspondences from there. Bacon's Bridge Redoubt, an earthen fortification, is located near the bridge. It was built by General William Moultrie under orders from General Lincoln during the Revolutionary War. This information came from a historian from South Carolina, collected on July 31, 2000 by Sarah Kathleen Shingleton. More research will be done on this topic.

John applied for a War Pension on March 18, 1821. The pension was for $8 a month, signed by J.C. Calhoun. (Continental Virginia pension # S37775) The account was recorded at the Giles County Courthouse on June 10 1821 and signed by David French. My mother, Sidney Shingleton, obtained these records from the National Archives in Washington, DC. The statement is as follows:

Re: John BIGGS VA born 1751

Posted: 7 Jan 2002 1:17AM GMT
Edited: 11 Feb 2005 6:40PM GMT
Sarah, I beleive I have a relation to John Biggs, VA. I have pictures of my Biggs relatives, I would like to share. My e-mail address is FERGCOMP@aol.com
Regards, D. Ferguson

Posted: 10 Feb 2005 12:59AM GMT
Edited: 17 Feb 2005 7:05PM GMT
Surnames: biggs, whinery
hi sarah
just read your message, albeit a little late. i think your john biggs, b 1751 md was my 6th gr father born in md 1751 d 1802 in va does this jive w/your info? if gd 4 us if not we keep tryin
you are welcome to email me at rdkllskt@aol.com anytime
hope to hear from you
sandy

Posted: 19 Sep 2007 9:09AM GMT
Surnames: Biggs, Bryant, Campbell, Moore, Totten, Gillespie
I am hoping this will fit with you all.
1.John Biggs from Ireland & Isabel Wilson from Ireland m. in TN. Year unknown but he fought in Revolution.
2. Son John Biggs m. Jane Gillespie, TN
3. Grandson John Biggs m. Mary ___ near Knoxville, TN, March 5, 1815.
4.GGrandaughter Maria (aka Mary but called Lis) Felistates Biggs m. George Alfred Bryant July 26, 1866, Columbia, KY
Family stories: John & Mary bought Plantation in Tn, freed slaves and hired them. John a Reverand (Pentecostal?)
Lis and George migrated to Battsville, MO 1878, then to Tina, Stokes Mound Twn, Carroll Co, Mo.
Becky
yatahai@yatahai.com

Posted: 19 Sep 2007 9:10AM GMT
Surnames: Biggs, Bryant, Campbell, Moore, Totten, Gillespie
I am hoping this will fit with you all.
1.John Biggs from Ireland & Isabel Wilson from Ireland m. in TN. Year unknown but he fought in Revolution.
2. Son John Biggs m. Jane Gillespie, TN
3. Grandson John Biggs m. Mary ___ near Knoxville, TN, March 5, 1815.
4.GGrandaughter Maria (aka Mary but called Lis) Felistates Biggs m. George Alfred Bryant July 26, 1866, Columbia, KY
Family stories: John & Mary bought Plantation in Tn, freed slaves and hired them. John a Reverand (Pentecostal?)
Lis and George migrated to Battsville, MO 1878, then to Tina, Stokes Mound Twn, Carroll Co, Mo.
Becky
yatahai@yatahai.com

Posted: 5 Oct 2007 8:04PM GMT
Surnames: Hale
Dear Sarah,

Your John Biggs interests me very much. I am a Hale family researcher and have researched a family in York County, Pennsylvania. One of the daughters of this family, Hannah, sported the last name of Biggs in her father's 1761 will. Also listed in this will were Hannah's brothers & sister; Richard, John, Benjamin, Joseph, Sarah Buffington, Mary Prunty, Elizabeth Ann, William, Thomas and Edward. I have never been able to locate Hannah.

The story of your John's service during the revolution is quite interesting in that the Prunty men all served and went to South Carolina. I believe that the Hale brother may have come to Virginia. Edward may be the one that settled in Giles Co. and Thomas, is possibly my ancestor, he settled in Montgomery County. These men along with Capt. Thomas Hale, and John Hale of Bent Mountain all served in some capacity during the revolution.

The age of your John could make him a son of Hannah and her Mr. Biggs. You might try looking in and around the York Co., PA area to see what might come of it.

Posted: 25 Nov 2007 9:12PM GMT
Surnames: Biggs
Hi, I think that Yatahai's John Biggs m. Isabella Wilson is a different person from Sarah's ancestor above. Here is the DAR info that I have on him:
The National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution Volume 151 page 277 Mrs. Mildred Hall Nix.
DAR ID Number: 150856

John Biggs (1752-1833) was placed on the pension roll of Blount County, Tenn., 1832, for service as private under Colonels McCoy and Broadhead, Pennsylvania Line. He was born in Scotland; died in Blount County Tenn

Born in Scotland, emigrated to America and enlisted in the Continental Army in Aug 1776 in Westmoreland Co., PA. Served 3 years and was discharged at Fort Pitt in 1779. Moved to Green Co., TN. Belonged to the 8th Regiment of the Pennsylvania Line and took part in the battles of Piscataway at Banbrook and Burgoyne's defeat at Saratoga.

From DAR Lineage Book 34 p 182
John Biggs, (1752-1833), enlisted 1776 in Westmoreland County, Penna., under Capt. Samuel
Miller and served three years. He was placed on the pension roll, of Blount Co., Tenn., 1832, for
service as private Pennsylvania line. He was born in Scotland; died in Tennessee.

John m. Isabella was my ggggrandfather. His son, John did marry Jane Gillespie but I have his grandson John marrying Elizabeth Dixon. I am descended from John's son James Biggs, who was a staunch Presbyterian as was the rest of the family down to my father's generation. If we are related, I would like to correspond. You can see my Gedcom at http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=douglassec.

Posted: 26 Nov 2007 3:09PM GMT
TO PETE DOUGLAS, JOHN LATE OF BLOUNT CO TN DID ENLIST IN WESTMORELAND CO PA AS DID ROBERT BIGGS LATE OF CLARK CO IND. I ALSO BELIEVE ALEXANDER BIGGS IN THE DAR INDEX ALSO DID, BUT AM NOT POSITIVE OF HIM. ALL THREE WERE BORN NEAR THE SAME TIME AND ALL SHOW A DIFFERENT PLACE OF "WHERE THEY CAME FROM" WHICH IS WHAT I THINK WAS THE QUESTION THEY WERE ASKED. "WHERE ARE YOU FROM?" IS A WHOLE DIFFERENT QUESTION THAN "WHERE WERE YOU BORN?"
THE BRITS WERE HIRING MERCENARIES AND I BELIEVE "WHERE ARE YOU FROM?" WAS A SECURITY QUESTION RATHER THAN CARING WHERE THEY WERE BORN. YOU MAY NOT WANT A HESSIAN OR PRUSSIAN FIGHTING ON YOUR SIDE.
I HAVE STUDIED THIS BUNCH ONLY FAR ENOUGH TO DETERMINE THAT IF I AM KIN TO THAT FAMILY IT WOULD BE IN ENGLAND, NOT IN AMERICA.
TO SAY JOHN AND ROBERT, AND MAYBE ALEXANDER ARE BROTHERS WOULD BE A STRETCH, BUT IT LOOKS TO ME THEY ARE FROM THE SAME FAMILY AT SOME POINT. THERE ARE ALSO BIGGS IN WESTMORELAND CO AFTER RW AND I ASSUME THEY CONNECT BUT I DONT HAVE A CLUE HOW THEY WOULD ALL BE RELATED.
I WOULD NOT TAKE FOR GRANTED THEY WERE BORN IN SCOTLAND OR IRELAND, AS I BET IF YOU LOOK SOME MORE THERE WAS ONE OR MORE BIGGS THAT MOVED WEST TO WESTMORELAND CO FROM SOMEWHERE NEAR THE COAST, AND ROBERT AND JOHN AND MAYBE ALEX WERE ALL BORN IN PA.
I DESCEND FROM THE LOWER NORFOLK VA AND NC BIGGS'S.
ANYONE INTERESTED CAN CONTACT ME DIREST AT biggsidahofalls@aol.com DAN BIGGS

Posted: 27 Nov 2007 8:57AM GMT
Surnames: Biggs, Gillespie, Dixon
Hi Douglas(?)
Yes, I would like to corespond but I don't have that much.
>>John m. Isabella was my ggggrandfather. His son, John did marry Jane Gillespie but I have his grandson John marrying Elizabeth Dixon.(I don't know, maybe she was a Mary Elizabeth? I have it from the family Bible as Mary ____. As I understand it, they had 6 girls, my gggrandmother was Lis and I don't know anything about the others.) I am descended from John's son James Biggs, who was a staunch Presbyterian as was the rest of the family down to my father's generation. If we are related, I would like to correspond.<<
My email direct is: yatahai@yatahai.com

Posted: 15 Jan 2008 1:03AM GMT
I just now saw this message. This sounds correct.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions