Search for content in message boards

Synchronize Errors-->FTM to Ancestry.com

Synchronize Errors-->FTM to Ancestry.com

Posted: 9 Nov 2012 8:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm using FTM12 with latest updates on W7 machine with 8 Meg memory. Trying to synch a large FTM file to Ancestry gives error msg w/o any indication as to the error or suggestions on how to fix.
First level help desk is no help; they suggest about everything (Firewall problem, upload while in safe mode, upload w/o media, etc) but problem still happens.
Help desk won't let me talk to developers, instead tell me to upload ftmb file into a Dropbox-like cloud storage area, send them an E-mail describing the problem and they will download and try to help.

This was 3 weeks ago and they haven't even downloaded the ftmb file from the cloud storage.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: Synchronize Errors-->FTM to Ancestry.com

Posted: 10 Nov 2012 3:11AM GMT
I have had this happen multiple times over the past year. My last error a couple weeks ago, finally got a response a few days ago from support who suggested un-linking and re-downloading my tree. That was the wrong suggestion, since the latest problem was the addition of several hundred duplicate people to my online tree, which required days to fix manually.
My most recent sync failed, and it wants to add 87 more new people - all duplicates according to the sync report, then the program crashed.
I'm very frustrated as you are too. The sync seemed to work for a while, then fails. I've sent off screen shots and sync reports again to support to see if they will forward them to the developers.
I was working with one person there who was very helpful and he got promoted. Now, I get different people responding every time.
My best suggestion is to very clearly document what you are seeing and send that along with whatever other materials you can gather to help them. I used to test software for a living, so it's frustrating to have to do it as a customer.
You can also run the Sync Error Reporter, which will capture some info for them. It's called SyncErrorReporter.exe and is located in the file where your program installed on your hard drive.
My files are too big to send via email so I have to upload to a cloud site. Mine hasn't been picked up by them either.
Patience is a virtue for sure.
Barbara

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 1:05AM GMT
I finally unlinked the tree; it duplicated about 3,000 people and erased a bunch of photos. Real mess.

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 1:19AM GMT
Edited: 17 Nov 2012 1:21AM GMT
Oh, no!! One thing I learned, is that by looking at the Sync Report carefully, if it shows that a bunch of people are to be added from FTM to Ancestry, or if it asks which file changes should be made (FTM or Ancestry), or if the wrong media file name is attached to multiple people, that is an indicator that the FTM tree is broken, corrupted or otherwise, messed up very badly.
I tried running a sync several times, stopped the timer and looked at the report carefully over the past few weeks. I wish I had figured out earlier what to look for.
Finally, today, I unlinked my tree that was having problems, and re-downloaded the tree from Ancestry before it sync could mess it up again.
I keep my main tree on Ancestry and backup on FTM. For those who do it the other way, they would look for different things than I do. I sent a bunch of stuff to support to send the developers; don't know if they did or not.
Ancestry support asked me to create a new tree and see if it fails. Of course, the smaller trees almost never fail to sync.. That exercise didn't show anything useful, other than that the program works well for syncing sometimes and sometimes, it doesn't.

Barbara

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 10:18PM GMT
My problems (an identical error occurs with either of my two large files) occur when I try to upload a file from FTM to Ancestry. The error msg is, "An error has occurred during the data upload to Ancestry." Obviously, not particularly helpful and still no word from Ancestry regarding the file I uploaded weeks ago.

Interesting (at least to me but not to the developers at Ancestry as I mentioned this problem as well) when I try to do an export of this file in Gedcom 5.5 I get an error msg stating, "The export process failed because an unknown error occurred." However, I can successfully Backup and Restore these files as well as export in FTM format.

All this leads to the obvious conclusion that my files are corrupt in some fashion. However, with in excess of 7,000 individuals in each file, there doesn't seem to be any easy way to discover what individuals (if, in fact, it's a problem with tree structure, e.g. circular families.)

I did suggest to the Help desk that an error detection routine in FTM would be a tool to help resolve this problem.
Their answer was that this function had been often requested but could give no answer when, or indeed if, this capability would be released. So I request that as you talk to the Help desk you also request this ability.

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 12:10AM GMT
"My problems (an identical error occurs with either of my two large files) occur when I try to upload a file from FTM to Ancestry. The error msg is, "An error has occurred during the data upload to Ancestry."

Is this an upload without synchronisation or just a straight upload? The heading of your message says Synchronize while the content of the message says upload.

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 11:45AM GMT
It was an upload as I have not yet been able to store my trees on Ancestry. I guess that if I were able to upload successfullythen I would try the synch.

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 3:26PM GMT
I had a sync problem with FTM2012 media coming up with a process error. I sent a request to Ancestry Support, who took 2 messages and 3 weeks to tell me to use the troubleshooting tips in the knowledge base. As part of that I ended up deleting the on line tree and uploading again. I then ran the SyncErrorReporter and searched the text file generated for the word "error" and it highlighted a problem with one particular media file. I fixed it in about 10 minutes!

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 3:55PM GMT
First, when you do a straight upload without the sync option you won't be able to synchronise that tree with your FTM tree. You would have to do another upload with the sync option to a BRAND NEW TREE.

Second, if you can't just do a straight upload I would see if the log created during the upload can help you identify the parts of your FTM tree that the upload process doesn't like. I would keep escalating this to the support people. Sometimes you get someone knowledgeable who can help you. Other times ...

Have you created a small test tree, to see if you can upload this? If that works then it is most likely something in your FTM file. If it doesn't work then it is more likely the FTM installation or something else on your system that is interfering with the process.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 4:34PM GMT
Try to answer your suggestions:
1) Yes I was successful in uploading/synching a small file. Help desk tried to convince me I had a problem with firewall or antivirus program.

2) The error report file (SyncErrorReporter found in Program Files(x86)/Family Tree Maker 2012 in your boot drive, for those who might not know about this feature) was empty. I assume this was because I never got beyond the Upload process. There doesn't seem to be a corresponding file for Upload errors.

3) I tried to Upload without media and got the same error msg.

Thanks for your thoughts. I certainly would appreciate and more ideas.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic