Search for content in message boards

New image viewer crashes Firefox

New image viewer crashes Firefox

Posted: 2 Apr 2007 6:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
I loaded up the new image viewer the other day. Now, firefox crashes about 50% of time when viewing an image, plus I cannot view any image unless I hit "togge full screen"

Re: New image viewer crashes Firefox

Posted: 3 Apr 2007 2:19AM GMT
I'm also running Firefox and do not have either of these problems.

Posted: 3 Apr 2007 11:01AM GMT
Hi Gerald,

Similar comments have appeared on newsgroups and the issue appears to be complex.

Users will be offered the new version of Ancestry's enchanced image viewer whether they are running IE or Firefox.

Users running Firefox will download the Firefox version of the viewer from:
http://c.mfcreative.com/MFInstall/npImgCtl.xpi
(An xpi file is a type of zipped file used by Mozilla).

Now it gets confusing! On various screens Ancestry refer to the new viewer:
- "Product and Feature Enhancements Coming Soon: Enhanced Image Viewer for the Firefox Web Browser"
- "The Enhanced Image Viewer will work only with Windows 98, 2000, ME, NT, and XP"
- "Windows Vista Install Problem: If you are using Windows Vista, Firefox must be run in Administrator Mode to complete the installation."

So does it work with Firefox and does it work with Vista???? Ancestry don't appear to know either?

Users running IE will download the IE version of the viewer from:
http://imageservice.ancestry.com/MFInstall/MFInstall.exe

BUT, I've tried both and failed on both! All I get is a message saying "Setup failed - contact customer support"

I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.3 and IE7 on Vista Home Premium.

Ian

Posted: 3 Apr 2007 2:23PM GMT
"So does it work with Firefox and does it work with Vista???? Ancestry don't appear to know either?"

I don't see any confusion or uncertainty there - Ancestry says it works with all versions of Windows, and further states that Vista users must install the Firefox extension while in Admin mode. Do you understand what that all means for you? Did you contact customer support? What did they tell you?

Posted: 4 Apr 2007 5:01PM GMT
Gerald, I am the developer of the Firefox plug-in at Ancestry.com.

As far as the crashing, maybe you could help me by sending some operating system information, and version of Firefox. Also, for the systems we tested we saw good stability with very little crashing, so I hope we help you with your system.

As to the "can't view until I toggle full screen," I saw that when Firefox 2.0 came out, and I worked on that. I thought we solved it. Maybe if we can get enough people with the same symptom, we could figure out the problem.

Please remember, this is a new product, and as a Firefox user myself, one that I would love to make great. Your constructive input is welcomed.

Posted: 4 Apr 2007 5:12PM GMT
I'm running FireFox 2.0.0.3 on Windows 2000, SP4 on an 2.5 Ghz P4

HTH

Posted: 4 Apr 2007 5:13PM GMT
BTW, how can I disable the plugin until it works OK again?

Posted: 4 Apr 2007 5:51PM GMT
Go to the options dialog, and choose to use the "Basic Image Viewer." That will revert back to the behavior you used to see in Firefox.

When you want to try the enhanced viewer again, you can use the options dialog in the basic viewer and switch it back.

Thanks, we will try to get a box set up and test that configuration

Posted: 4 Apr 2007 5:56PM GMT
Hopefully we can duplicate the problem, otherwise I hope you will check back, or I might contact you directly to get more info if possible.

Thanks,

Re: Thanks, we will try to get a box set up and test that configuration

Posted: 1 Aug 2007 4:13PM GMT
Have you made any progress on the Firefox problem? I've been experiencing the same crashes for months. It seems to be a conflict with ntdll.dll, which seems to be a buggy DLL anyway.

I'm running Firefox 2.0.0.x, WinXP Pro, fully patched, AMD chip.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions