Search for content in message boards

Unable to sync Family Tree Maker

Unable to sync Family Tree Maker

Posted: 10 Nov 2012 8:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
I installed Family Tree Maker this summer and the tree I linked was working fine until ten days ago. The sync failed, but shortly before it did I would get a message every once in a while that the tree was unlinked. If I backed out and closed the file it would sync. Eight days ago I down/uploaded again and it worked for two days then it too failed. Have unlinked, and downloaded twice since yesterday the first tree was linked then showed unlinked. Same for the latest. Would really prefer not to break this tree apart unless it's the only option as I have shared ancestors. Elizabeth

Re: Unable to sync Family Tree Maker

Posted: 10 Nov 2012 9:09PM GMT
When it shows unlinked, just close FTM, wait until it has finished, and then re-open again. There is a problem with the handshake routines between Ancestry & FTM. You don't have to back out of anything or re-create a tree.

And there are a lot of comments here about this problem.

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 6:52AM GMT
Thanks. That wasn't working before and suddenly now it is. Now like some

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 6:54AM GMT
now, like some other users I have extra versions of my tree.

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 5:29PM GMT
Everytime you download/Link from Ancestry or upload/link from FTM is a NEW Tree/FTM Link and creates a new tree in the target location. At this time there is no way to relink.

Open FTM and go to the Plan Workspace on the Current Tree tab. It will show you which Ancestry Member Tree it is linked to. You can delete the extra ones.

FTM controls the Link/Sync. Decide which FTM file is working for you, the rest are unnecessary to keep, unless they contain information you need to move to the working tree.

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 8:57PM GMT
Thanks, I figured as much. I just get nervous about deleting. As it is I have managed to confuse the two trees which are current and need to resolve that. My own fault.

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 2:02AM GMT
Here we go again. My tree won't complete the sync process. Goes through the whole download from Ancestry and gets about halfway through the sync and then I get the error message telling me I need to unlink the tree and download and upload yet again. This will make tree number four.

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 2:29AM GMT
Sometimes just closing FTM and restarting it clears up the problem. Not always but it's an easy remedy if it works.

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 2:39AM GMT
Tried that to no avail. One attempt at sync said ancestry was too busy but really think this is a FTM issue. Have opened and closed program three times.

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 2:40AM GMT
Tried that to no avail. One attempt at sync said ancestry was too busy but really think this is a FTM issue. Have opened and closed program three times.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions