Search for content in message boards

THOMPSON in Derry or Donegal

THOMPSON in Derry or Donegal

Posted: 4 Jul 2003 9:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: THOMPSON, ROSS
Interested in any connections of Robert THOMPSON and Martha STEEN, married 1 Feb 1828 in St Columb's Church of Ireland cathedral in Londonderry, lived in Muff. Also of John THOMPSON, farmer, of Ture. John's daughter Susan(nah) married Robert's son William 5 Mar 1857 in Second Derry (Strand Road) Presbyterian Church.

Ossie Ross

Re: THOMPSON in Derry or Donegal

Posted: 5 Sep 2003 3:30AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 29 Jan 2006 11:03PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson, Staugh, Jackson, Lloyd
Hello,

I have limited information regarding my family in the Latrobe/Derry area of PA.

My grandfather, Harry Thompson, was given his mothers maiden name of Thompson because he was born out of wedlock.

His mother, my Great Grandmother's maiden name was Edith Thompson (born in 1902). She had 7 brothers and sisters; Jennie, Carrie, Luella, Robert, Ruth, Charles and Harvey. Her sisters I know lived in Latrobe for most of their lives although I do not know which town they were born in. I do know that Harvey moved to California and died there. I believe that one of the sisters lived in Derry.

Their parents names were Robert Thompson and Susie Lloyd (birth year 1878). Robert's parents we believe were Robert Thompson and Susanne Staugh. Susie Lloyd's parents we believe were John Lloyd and Jane Jackson.

I hope this information is helpful to you. I am searching for information regarding my ancestors as well. I would appreciate if you could let me know any information you may have regarding the Thompson family tree. Thank you.

Julia Harr

Ossie Ross (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2003 4:59AM GMT
Londonderry and Donegal are in Ireland, so sorry, I can't help with anything in the US.

Ossie

Posted: 31 Oct 2007 8:12PM GMT
I would love to contact you as Mary Anne Elizabeth Thompson, daughter of William and Martha, is my great grandmother, and I am working furiously on the Steen,Thompson, Barnett family trees. Mary A.E. Thompson married Isaac Steen, and many of the Thompsons still live in the same area which I visited recently. I have no Ross on my tree but I do have Kerrigan,Mitchell,Gurney,Stewart,McCahon,Louden and lots of Thompsons.

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 11:30PM GMT
l went to Templemore School in londonderry from 1961 to 1965 with a Noel Thompson who's father farmed at Ture near Muff. Following the deaths of his parents Noel(only child)sold the farm and along with his wife and family emigrated to Canada approx 1999.

Posted: 29 Apr 2008 11:42PM GMT
Sounds to me like you visited Culmore Point near the Village of Muff. I aattended school with some of these Thompsons but am not related as far as l know. my family come from Raphoe in East Donegal, a place called Sheskin.

Les Thompson.

Posted: 27 Nov 2009 6:11AM GMT
Surnames: Thompson, Steen, Floyd, McElhinny,
I am descended from Robert Thompson who married MARTHA STEEN at Templemore Co. Derry Ireland in Feb 1828. Martha was born 17 Feb 1806 - place not known but presumably Ireland and possibly Co. Donegal (or perhaps Templemore Co. Derry). I have no information of the parents of Robert. Martha was apparently the daughter of Robert Steen (b. 22 Nov 1775 - Fountaine Hill death date unknown) and Mary Ann Floyd (married 12 Jul 1803 - Cathedral, Londonderry).

Three known children are:-

1. William Thompson married Susan Thompson daughter of John Thompson (no other details known) (10 Children) - my ancestors.

2. Robert Thompson married 3 Aug 1857 Muff Co. Donegal Mary Ann Redgate (Dau of Henry Redgate) (6 Children).

3. Mary Ann Elizabeth Thompson (born c.1848, died 13 Apr 1934 Ture Co. Donegal)) married 13 Aug 1873 Londonderry ISAAC STEEN (son of THOMAS STEEN and Elizabeth Barr) (8 Children). Isaac was born 10 Nov 1846 at Moville Co. Donegal and died 4 Nov 1935 Ture Co. Donegal. The relationship (if any) between Martha and Thomas Steen is unknown.

I can be contacted at: gdthompson@aapt.net.au
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions