Search for content in message boards

FTM lots of duplicates

FTM lots of duplicates

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 9:45AM GMT
Classification: Query
i thought i was doing well with my tree im not the best with computers but ive just found lots of duplicates apart from starting all over again how can i fix this

Re: FTM lots of duplicates

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 11:25AM GMT
Megan
Can you be more specific about the type of duplicates you see, people, sources, places?

How you fix them depends on the type of duplicates.

Curt

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 11:51AM GMT
hi its people i think it where ive been merging from other trees my tree is a bit of a mess at the momment i really need a bit of help i really dont fancy starting again kind regaurds sue

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 4:23PM GMT
There's no easy answer. You'll have to do it one person at a time. Most of us have been there when we were first starting out. I've found that if you start with people at the far end of the branches, with the oldest ancestors, and then work forward in time this helps. If you have no source data for a person except another member tree then I would consider deleting them completely.

The best way to not have this happen is to not merge from other trees.

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 6:57PM GMT
Thanks so much thats what I will do from now on.

thanks again.....

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 8:47PM GMT
I use FTM2012 (and v16 before that) and have successfully used the built in function to find and merge duplicate people. If you merge from other sources, and as your tree grows large, it is unavoidable to have some duplicates. The presented list of duplicates is never perfect but the ones that are true matches helps a lot in cleaning things up. Only merge the matches you are sure are correct and leave the rest for later or manual. The real matches are usually in the top of list with high ratings. Any way I find it helpful if used with discretion.

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 9:15PM GMT
Seems like no matter how careful, I also get duplicate records in my tree from time to time. What I do is to look through my name list for duplicate names. Resolve the data and then remove the duplicate name. Time consuming but that works for me.

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 11:36PM GMT
Megan

Several others have suggested how to fix and prevent the problem. The first thing you should do is take a file backup. At least you can always get back to where you are now. Merge two specific people works well in my experience. If you look at the Edit menu you will see an option to Find Duplicate People. FTM looks for people it thinks are duplicate and gives you the option to merge them or not merge them.

Curt
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions