Search for content in message boards

Royal Canadian Rifles

Royal Canadian Rifles

G M Fox (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2003 9:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Unwin
I have an ancestor who served in the Royal Canadian Rifles in the 1860's. He was English, from Warwickshire. I understand this unit was disbanded about 1870. His name was Thomas Unwin and he later emigrated to New Zealand. He married Sarah Phillips from New Foundland and had 3 daughters whilst stationed in Kingston, Ontario. I would be interested in any information on this unit etc

Re: Royal Canadian Rifles

Posted: 12 May 2003 12:40AM GMT
Edited: 28 Aug 2004 9:18PM GMT
What evidence do you have that this British Regiment was especially prone to desertion? One of the main duties of these units of more mature soldiers was to prevent men from the other 19 British Regiments deserting. From 1840, soldiers of 15 years or more service were permitted to volunteer to transfer to Royal Canadian Rifle Regiment and complete their service in Canada. They were allowed to be discharged in Canada, & were permitted 12 women per 100 soldiers rather than the usual 6 per hundred. These conditions were quite an incentive, and initially very favourably received.
As regards the US border area; one Company was at Phillipsburg in autumn of 1842. Then throughout the the rest of the 1840's two Companies were stationed at Isle-aux-Noix. Other Companies joined them in Chambly, etc through to 1869. The nearby Huntingdon area would have been considered a desirable farming location for them soldiers to settle on discharge.

Posted: 12 Aug 2011 3:55PM GMT
Surnames: McCreanor
John McCreanor, born abt 1819 Ireland, served in the Royal Canadian Rifles. Not sure when he arrived in Canada, not entirely sure when he left or when he exactly served.
But he served from at least 1851 and left with family to England then South Australia before 1871. Died in South Australia 1889.
He lived around Kingston and Lincoln County where I assume he was garrisoned.

I would welcome anyone who could shed some light on John McCreanor, kingston records or the RC rifles.

Posted: 11 Dec 2011 4:16AM GMT
Surnames: Fox, Unwin, McCreanor
Hi Audrey,
I have just discovered your message re- the Royal Canadian Rifles. Has anyone given you any information yet? I have a little and can send you what I have if you would like. You are welcome to email me at... lwgmfox@iconz.co.nz
The RCR was disbanded in 1870 and soldiers could either take up land in Canada or return to UK. My Thomas Unwin returned with his family to UK and then emigrated to NZ in 1872. One Company was based at Kingston,Ontario.
Gillian Fox

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 2:55AM GMT
Surnames: UNWIN, REID
Hi Gillian,

Was very nice seeing your posts. Thomas Unwin and Annie Read/Reid's eldest daughter, Elizabeth Annie married William Howie; they are my Great Great Grandparents. I found Thomas's "END" in Kaiapoi, NZ ... so am now working back to compile some biographical information about him. Particularly his military career.

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 7:05AM GMT
Hello Audrey,

I do have a little info about the RCR and have been sent some pictures of the garb they wore etc. my ancestor was stationed at Kingston, Ontario and joined from UK. left for UK when the RCR disbanded and then migrated to NZ. My email address is - lwgmfox@iconz.co.nz - I don't think I have responded to your 2011 query... earthquake time here in ChCh, NZ. Kind regards, Gillian Fox

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 7:06AM GMT
Surnames: Mc Creanor
Hello Audrey,

I do have a little info about the RCR and have been sent some pictures of the garb they wore etc. my ancestor was stationed at Kingston, Ontario and joined from UK. left for UK when the RCR disbanded and then migrated to NZ. My email address is - lwgmfox@iconz.co.nz - I don't think I have responded to your 2011 query... earthquake time here in ChCh, NZ. Kind regards, Gillian Fox
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions