Search for content in message boards

Catherine Mary English

Catherine Mary English

Posted: 23 May 2013 4:49AM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Surnames: English, Mestrez
I need information about travel from UK/Ireland to Australia by my Grand Aunt, Catherine Mary English. Need arrival date, ship and occupation details.

Born 31 May 1865 to parents Michael English and Honora Myers ,Mitchelstown, Co Cork. Immigrated to Australia some time between 1880-1895 and probably settled in Queensland. Married well known sugar cane developer, Louis Auguste Mestrez (formerly of Liege,Belgium) in 1895 and they continued to live in north Queensland. Four children from this union.

Re: Catherine Mary English

Posted: 23 Jun 2013 11:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Thank you for the information you attached to Catherine on my tree. I wonder who she went out to Australia to.?
I can't reply to you directly as I'm not a subscription member of Ancestry at the moment.

Breda Nolan

Posted: 23 Jun 2013 11:29AM GMT
If you need help with English's in Ireland you can contact me at bredanolan@eircom.net

Posted: 24 Jun 2013 12:18AM GMT
Hi Brenda,
You are very welcome to the info on Catherine Mary English - and anyone else in my branch of my English family tree I research. I have a feeling we are related as I find your tree interconnecting with mine very often. RE information on the trail of Catherine Mary's immigration to Australia; I wanted to discover her occupation once arrived, and thanks to some helpful suggestions from RootsChat.com subscribers, I have found the likely immigration ship data & followed another suggestion to get a copy of her Australian marriage certificate. So,I have ordered a copy of Catherine and Louis's marriage certificate from the Queensland archives. This should tell us what she was doing prior to marriage. I am guessing she immigrated to Australia under a scheme of free passage offered by the colonial Australian government to entice more ladies to settle in the antipodes! Catherine and all her fellow "free" passengers on the "Duke of Argyle" 1886 list themselves as "domestic servants" - just the job qualification to get oneself passage "downunder" at this time. Once I have more info on her activities, I will let you know. Yes, I would appreciate your help in searching out my English branch in Ireland. I will email you a few questions, if I may?

Posted: 24 Jun 2013 9:42AM GMT
Please feel free to e-mail me. I'm afraid your English's are not my English's at the moment but I am interested in all things English (family related as I feel sure that at some stage my men came from Anglesboro)and I don't live too far from Anglesboro

Posted: 30 Jun 2013 5:44AM GMT
Hi Brenda,
I have tried to email you some questions about the English family in Anglesborough area but the email address you've gave me apparently isn't accepting my mail. Perhaps your mail box is full? I will leave it for the moment but if I think you can help later I will post you a query here. Thanks!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions