Search for content in message boards

Nicholas Mertens Jr.

Nicholas Mertens Jr.

Posted: 25 Apr 2013 4:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm not entirely sure this is the correct board but here goes...my grandfather had a brother that was disabled and died young. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get his birth and death certs since his grave only had years. His mother would not allow him to be institutionalized but is there a way to find out what was "wrong" with him? I know he never went to school.

Re: Nicholas Mertens Jr.

Posted: 25 Apr 2013 5:35PM GMT
Could you could give more details as to dates of birth and death and the locations if known? Hopefully then someone can guide you better as to the information you are looking for.

Posted: 25 Apr 2013 6:15PM GMT
He was born in 1929 in the Bronx, I believe and died in 1952 in Yonkers, New York. His gravestone unfortunately only gave years. I do know his parents names though.

Posted: 15 May 2013 11:02AM GMT
You could order his death certificate. If he died of complications relating to his condition, it will be listed as the cause of death or supporting cause of death. Sometimes medical conditions unrelated to the death will be listed as well. His exact death date will be included and by 1952, I would imagine his exact birth date would be as well (earlier death records often only listed the age at death).

http://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records/genealogy.htm

It looks like uncertified copies of death certificates in New York are available to the public 50 years after they were issued so since your uncle died in 1952, you shouldn't have any problems ordering it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions