Search for content in message boards

What's at 1526 Marquette Street in Racine today?

What's at 1526 Marquette Street in Racine today?

Michelle Stone (View posts)
Posted: 18 Dec 2003 2:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: EMRICH, EMERICH, GILCHER
My relatives Karl and Louisa (Gilcher) Emrich once lived at 1526 Marquette Street in Racine for many years following the Civil War and until his death in 1908 (he was a tailor). Can anyone in that area tell me if the old house still exists at this address? If not, what is there today? I live in Georgia and do not expect to visit Racine anytime soon. Many thanks!

Re: What's at 1526 Marquette Street in Racine today?

Steve Banker (View posts)
Posted: 19 Dec 2003 8:14PM GMT
Hi Michelle,
I just drove past that address and photographed the house that stands there. I've enclosed two photo's if it. I will say that it's a very old home that has gone through extensive remodeling, as have the surrounding homes. Merry Christmas!
Steve
Attachments:

Michelle Stone (View posts)
Posted: 19 Dec 2003 8:46PM GMT
Steve! You darling angel!! What a wonderful Christmas gift! Not just to me right now, but also to other relatives who will be able to see this home! I'm about to let a German cousin know about your photos. Another miracle of the internet. And a miracle these old places are still standing and being taken care of.

It's a wonderful life....

Thanks so much for your generosity!

Michelle

"German Immigrant Ancestors in Syracuse & Onondaga Co., NY"
(another place where many of the old houses still stand)
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~mstone/

Steve Banker (View posts)
Posted: 19 Dec 2003 10:10PM GMT
No problem, glad you liked it. By the way, if there is anything else I could do for you, please email me. I have access to many city resources here.
Steve

Posted: 9 Oct 2011 9:14PM GMT
Surnames: kyle
hi i live in this house right now. it has a fence now. this house is doing very good but i heard a rumor that there was a time portal i would like to know if there was one and i would also like to no what your granddad looked like because my little sister she is 6 years old she said she saw someone with red hair if u could please tell me what he looked like i would apreciate that thak u

Posted: 9 Oct 2011 11:37PM GMT
Hi! I wish I could tell you what those ancestors looked like, but I don't know. Don't have photos or descriptions of them. Maybe someday you could do some research at your local library or historical society or courthouse and find out more about your interesting old house and all its former residents! If you find out you have a time portal, be sure and let us know!

Posted: 10 Oct 2011 11:52AM GMT
This is an interesting thread. Here's a link you may be interested in, that gives property information for all of Racine County.

http://maps.sewrpc.org/racinemapping/

Click the disclaimer, and enter the house number and street name on the next screen. Go from there...

Also, you can use the several mapping programs to zoom in on the address so you can see what's there today. Some of the programs allow you to do bird's eye view and to rotate the view. Type in the address to get the map.

http://atlas.freshlogicstudios.com/
http://maps.google.com/
http://www.bing.com/maps/

I did all of this to research a 1909 photo of my grandparents standing in front of their building in Racine, along with some neighbors, a horse and a cow. My grandfather was a butcher. The building, although somewhat modified, is still there.

Bob Gaudio

Posted: 10 Oct 2011 12:44PM GMT
Thanks!

Posted: 5 Aug 2012 12:58AM GMT
havnt found anything if u no anything p,lease let me no

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 12:58AM GMT
I can check the next time I am down that way. I think if I am remembering right it is a 2 family. There has been much work done to this house. I think it was a burger place next door. What do you want to know. I do have to drive in that area in the morning. I have to go to the court house in the morning. Let me know. Lynn
I use to work just north of this area at a greek restaurant that use to be a big boy when I was a kid. They had this chicken special on sundays. To this day fried chicken is not exciting to me. I think they called it brosted chicken. After I married my ex use to visit with some one that rented this house. If I have my facts correct during the housing boom it was bought and owner occupied and updated.
If you don't hold this against me it is the border line of a bad area of Racine. Because Douglas ave is mostly business you can really note the difference. The houses from here and south are on small lots. Not as small as Milwaukee but they are narrow. As you go north the lots get larger like a lot and a half or a double lot.
What else would you like to know. I always thought this was a cool house and felt a connection to it. I don't know why but I did. Let me know what else you want to know
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions