Search for content in message boards

AKINS in Thomas Co., Ga and Leon Co., Florida

AKINS in Thomas Co., Ga and Leon Co., Florida

Posted: 11 Apr 2008 8:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm searching for info on Robert B (Or R) ATKINS...suppose to have been born in Georgia. I'm not sure if he was born in Thomas County, but he was married there to Mary Jane BRYAN. On the 1870 Florida, Tallahassee, Leon County census there was also a Juliann, age 60, living with them at the Northern District of Division (Sub. Div 22) along with children: Samuel age 10, Robert W. age 7, Erartus W. (Male) 3 and Josephine age one. Who is Juliann.....when and where did Robert B, Robert W. Erartus W die? Mary Jane died in St. Augustine in 1903. On the 1930 Florida, Samuel , age 71, was living with Josephine and her husband, Roswell King Gatchell. I would like info on Samuel also.

Thanks

dee

Re: AKINS in Thomas Co., Ga and Leon Co., Florida

Posted: 7 Aug 2011 3:27PM GMT
Surnames: Akin Murray Johnson Cromartie Doane
We have a slightly different version. In 1860 Leon County FL census, there is Lazarus Akin household with Mary Jane, age 24. We think Mary Jane's birth surname was Murray. In 1850 Leon County FL census, Mary Jane, age 15 is in William S. Murray household. We have Mary Jane as the only child of Mary Johnson, daughter of Angus Johnson and Jean Cromartie. Jean was a daughter of Orkney emigrant William Cromartie and Stephen Hopkins descendant Ruhamah Doane of Bladen County NC.

Jasper Parham
Charlotte NC

Posted: 26 Feb 2012 6:50PM GMT
Mary Jane Akins was Mary Jane Murray. Her father was William S. Murray, and her mother Mary Johnson. Later she became Mary Jane Shuler. What souce do you have documenting Mary Johnson as the daughter of Angus and Jean Johnson? I have been trying to find a thread to her parents for 40 years. Thank you for your time.

Posted: 27 Feb 2012 12:06AM GMT
The Mary Jane Akins that I am looking for married Mr. Brown or Mr. Bryan. Atkins is her maiden name.
Sorry, I can't help you. I have been looking for Mary Jane information for a very long time too, but never found anything that really connected. My family and I even went to Thomas and Leon Countries, and wasn't able to find anything.

Posted: 27 Feb 2012 6:18AM GMT
Surnames: Akins Cromartie Johnson Shuler Whitfield Stranahan
These threads come to mind: Mary Jane Akin(s), age 24 and husband Lazarus were enumerated in 1860 Leon County Florida census after John Cromartie,age 52 nephew of Jean Cromartie, Mrs. Angus Johnson. The next 1860 enumeration was L Akin(s) for Whitfield. The Whitfield surname has connections in North Carolina and Florida with the Cromartie surname. My maternal grandfather had a brother named Augustus Whitfield Cromartie who was Ivy Stranahan's father. In 1870 Leon County census there is Mary J, age 35 and Robert B Akins(Lazarus sibling or kin?). More research is needed. Who was Mr. Shuler? Thanks for the tidbits. I hope to connect more pieces of this puzzle.

Posted: 27 Feb 2012 1:33PM GMT
Edited: 27 Feb 2012 1:38PM GMT
Good luck! I also have been to Leon County and Thomasville Georgia. I am the great granddaughter of Mary Jane Murray Adkins Shuler, who died in Cedar Keys Aug 17, 1884. Didn't know there were so many of them! She married Lazarrus Aikins 11/19/1853 and had 3 kids: Mary Elizabeth, Robert J & Wm. S. Later married Wm. S. Shuler and had 2 daughters Ella & Francis Eugene (my grandmother). Good luck!

Posted: 27 Feb 2012 1:53PM GMT
Edited: 27 Feb 2012 4:23PM GMT
Thank you for the detective work! I'll have to go back and look at the census-s again. Mary Jane Murray was the daughter of Mary Johnson and William S. Murray. Her daughter (my grandmother) said she was of Dutch decent, but no proof. Mary Jane married Lazarrus Aikins Nov. 19, 1853 (marriage certificate). Had 3 children: Mary Elizabeth (Mittie) who died at 22 leaving a husband and daughter, Robert (called Tony) who family lost contact with, and William (Willie) who is said to have had "dropsy" and died at 20. Lazarus Aikins died of pneumonia in 1860. Mary Jane next married William S. Shuler (no records on him, other than Civil War blurp). Wm. & Mary Shuler sold land in Leon Co. in 1872. They had 2 daughters Ella (died young in childbirth) and Francis Eugene (orphaned at 9 when her mother Mary Jane died on Aug 17, 1884). Mary Jane was a school teacher in Cedar Keys. Some of the above is documented, and some verbal from my grandmother Francis Shuler. Thanks again for the threads. I'll follow them!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions