Search for content in message boards

TITUS in Sussex Co, NJ (and Warren Co.?) 1790 -1830 - Does anyone recognize these people???

TITUS in Sussex Co, NJ (and Warren Co.?) 1790 -1830 - Does anyone recognize these people???

Posted: 3 Mar 2009 1:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Titus, Hunt
Hello Fellow Researchers,

I am trying to place my ancestress, Sarah Titus, who married first Samuel Hunt (probably around 1785), and second William McKee on 27 Oct 1799. Sarah Titus was probably born around 1767 (I don't know where) and died 11 Jan 1836 in Newton, Sussex Co.

I have found the following persons bearing the TITUS surname in Sussex County in that period. I don't know how they connect with Sarah, or with one another. Can anyone help???

Susannah (or Susan) Titus, b. 1767?, died 5 Mar 1815, wife of John Hunt (brother of Samuel Hunt, above)

From the 1793 Tax List Sussex Co., Oxford Township:

John Titus
Peter Titus
Tunis Titus

From the Sussex Co., Probate Index:

877S - TITUS, Benjamin. b. 39, p. 127. Int. & Inv. 1800

From Sussex County Marriages by Howard E. Case, page 214

2 Nov 1809 John Titus to Elizabeth Chambers
20 July 1812 Jacob Titus to Clarissa Wills
8 Feb 1814 Sarah Titus to Robert Fish
11 Mar 1819 Nesiah Titus to Jacob Clawson
16 Aug 1819 Kesiah Titus to Jacob Clawson
3 Jun 1820 John Titus to Elizabeth Clauson
3 Feb 1820 John Titus to Ann Freeman
3 Mar 1821 Caturah Titus to John VanKirk
8 Sep 1825 James Tittes to Anne Mosher
4 Nov 1849 Ralph Titus of Green Township to Frances Hill

Obviously "Nesiah" should be "Kesiah", but I don't know why there are two different dates.

I would appreciate any assistance in sorting these people into family groups, and especially in finding the ancestors of my Sarah Titus, wife of Samuel Hunt.

Thank you.

Carol Anne

Re: TITUS in Sussex Co, NJ (and Warren Co.?) 1790 -1830 - Does anyone recognize these people???

Posted: 6 Mar 2009 8:48PM GMT
Surnames: Titus, Osmun
There were a number of Titus families in Warren county also. I believe there was a group in Independence Twp. Sussex county was split forming Warren county in 1824. I know of a Thomas Titus but do not have info on the family. I suspect they may be related to my Christeen Titus who married Ziba H. Osmun of Hackettstown. This is a neighboring area of Independence. Since you are also working in my counties, I would be happy to stay in touch. My email is deebug@comcast.net.
Thanks, Dolores

Re: TITUS in Sussex Co, NJ (and Warren Co.?) 1790 -1830 - Does anyone recognize these people???

Posted: 18 Mar 2009 3:52AM GMT
Surnames: Titus
Hi Dolores,

I'll be happy to stay in touch, but I have no idea how any of these Tituses are related.

Have you seen the entry for Thomas Titus at Find A Grave? I don't know who placed the new tombstone between the two old ones, or where they got the list of children.

Carol Anne

Posted: 18 Mar 2009 3:20PM GMT
I'm sorry, but I can only connect three of your marriages, but it may be a small help. The first is the marriage of Ralph Titus and Frances Hill. He was the son of Cornell Titus and Hannah (Utt). I have some data on Ralph's descendants.

7. Ralph Titus. b. Sep. 25, 1823 at Blairstown, Warren Co., NJ. (36 at 1860 census when he and his children were enumerated at Frelinghuysen, Warren Co., NJ, 46 in 1870 at Hackettstown, Warren Co., NJ, 54 in 1880). He was a miller in 1860 and a merchant in 1870. d. May 2, 1899 at Hackettstown, NJ. m. 1st Frances Hill on Nov. 4, 1849 in Sussex Co., NJ. She b. 1830. d. 1859. m. 2nd Lydia Giveans. Elizabeth Titus, age 32, was living with them in 1870. A daughter Nettie, age 24, was living with them in 1880.

The second marriage is John Titus and Anna Freeman. He was the son of Andrew and Martha Mary Cornell.

6. John Titus. b. May 18, 1798 at Hopewell, Mercer Co., NJ. (55 at 1850 census when the family was enumerated at Rush Creek, Logan Co., OH). He was a farmer in 1850. d. Feb. 7, 1857 in Logan Co, OH. m. Anna Freeman, daughter of Henry, on Feb. 13, 1820 at Belvidere, Warren Co., NJ. She b. Aug. 27, 1801 in NJ. (49 at 1850 census). d. Mar. 28, 1867 in Logan Co, OH. Both buried in Equality Cemetery, Rushcreek Twp., Logan Co., OH.

The third marriage was between Keturah Titus and John J. Van Kirk. I have data on their descendants.

6. Keturah Titus. b. 1802 in NJ. (47 at 1850 census). d. Apr. 15, 1883 in NJ. m. John J. Van Kirk, son of James and Mary (Jones), on Mar. 3, 1821 in Sussex Co., NJ. He b. ca, 1803 in NJ. (47 at 1850 census). d. in NJ. He was a farmer in 1850.

I cannot place your Sarah in my data and unfortunately the line goes back before the census is of any use.

Many of the NJ Titus line go back to Content Titus, son of Robert, the immigrant of 1635, as do the three above. The numbers before their names are the generation numbers from Robert Titus, he being #1.

Posted: 9 Jun 2009 2:49AM GMT
Surnames: Titus, Sehulster
I am also researching the Titus family in Sussex county N.J. My grgrgrandmother was Elizabeth Titus born approx. 1801. She married Joseph Sehulster in West Milford N.J in 1823. She died from cholera in August of 1849. She is buried in St. Joseph's cemetary in West Milford. Her sister Mary Titus married Joseph's brother Martin around the same time. She is also buried in St. Joseph's cemetary. I have been unable to identify their parents. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted: 27 Jun 2009 4:11AM GMT
Surnames: Titus, Beatty/Beattie.
Hi
I don't know if this helps since you're looking at Sussex County, but I have Titus ancestors who lived in Passaic County. Tunis Titus was born in 1787 and died in New Foundland, Passaic County NJ in 1849 of Cholera. His wife Mary ??? of Pennsylvania pre-deceased him. His info is from the mortality schedule of 1850 and I also have a copy of his will.
He had a son, John Titus, born 1810/11 in Pompton, Passaic County, New Jersey, who married "Julia" and had a brother Peter. Sometimes their farm is listed as being in Morris County. The cemetery they're in is extremely small and if I remember correctly, is located in Haskell, off Wanaque Ave.
From there the line continues with Martin, Martin Jr.,Jennie and me, Gillian.
My tree is under the Romain name, since it's now mostly for the children and grandchildren.
Good luck. If you're related to Tunis and ever hear anymore about him, I'd love to know some more details.
Gillian

Posted: 2 Dec 2009 7:14PM GMT
ever come across William Titus, who had a daughter Catharine,who married in 1854 in Paterson, Passaic County.
wondering if you came across either father or daughter?

Posted: 29 Aug 2010 4:05AM GMT
Hello. I have come across the same problem. I have all sorts of information about Joseph Sehulster, but very little about Elizabeth Titus.

I have a question for you--do you know what Joseph & Elizabeth's children's names were? Did they have a daughter named Ellen, I'm trying to figure out if this is the Ellen who married John P. Cooke.

Thanks & good luck.

Posted: 3 Oct 2011 6:44PM GMT
Hi all. I might be able to help you out a little.
The only Elizabeth I have found from my line, (Tunis,Andrew Tunis,Luther Hill), was an Elizabeth b:1877 from the (Tunis,John Tunis, John D.) line. I have a good bit of info from Tunis,Andrew,Luther,William,Chester if interested. I also suspect Tunis is linked to Content, but haven't proven it either way as of yet. Drop me an email if I can be of any help. toddtitus@mindspring.com

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 4:05AM GMT
Surnames: TITUS
I believe your Tunis Titus would be from the Titus Syrachs De Vries lineage. This lineage is often called the Dutch Titus family and was also on Long Island early. The names in this family were spelled quite differently. I have no doubt that they were of an actual Titus family, the De Vries meaning from a place called Vries. There were other Titus families that somehow are not well-know. There were
three brothers that settled on Staten Island early. One of these was named Peter and he had a son named Jonathan who
founded Titusville, Pennsylvania, Alma
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions