Search for content in message boards

Looking for history on family of Parick Henry Nugent, County Cork

Looking for history on family of Parick Henry Nugent, County Cork

Lamar Van Gunten (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2004 6:09AM GMT
I am a friend of an Irish-born American, William Henry Nugent, who celebrated his 92nd birthday on January 6, 2004. He lives in Menlo Park, California. He emigrated to the USA, twice actually, the second one sticking about 1929. He served in the U.S Navy in the early 1930s, and settled in the San Francisco Bay Area. He is looking for information on his father, Patrick Henry Nugent who was a resident of Bantry, County Cork.

Mr. Patrick Henry Nugent died May 7, 1917, married Mary Teresa Gaugin (who died in 1944 or 1945). This was the second marriage for Patrick Henry Nugent who returned to Ireland after a marriage and a life in Bayone, New Jersey. In his American life he met the inventor Thomas Edison. Patrick and Mary Teresa had four children, Kathleen Jean (YOB 1908?), Greta (YOB 1910?),Willam Henry (my friend, born 1912), and Eileen (DOB June 1, 1914).

The Nugent family had an estate, Drumore (sic). near Bantry, County Cork. Patrick Henry Nugent had a mill there where the wheat was ground. Because of his meeting with Thomas Edison, and being entrepreneural, Patrick converted the mill power to generate electricity, and provided the first electrical power to the Bantry area.

Quite an interesting story, any information greatly appreciated to help us reconstruct William Henry Nugent's family history.

Re: Looking for history on family of Parick Henry Nugent, County Cork

Posted: 9 Jun 2008 10:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Lamar,
I hope you get this message. I know your post was along time ago, but I just saw it. Patrick Henry Nugent was my gggrandfather. His son from his first marriage, also called Patrick Henry Nugent was my mom's grandfather. He had a funeral home in Bayonne. The funny thing was my grandmother Mary Nugent, P.H.'s daughter, alway said that her grandfather brought electricity to Ireland, but we thought it was a tall tale. If you get this, I would love to hear from you.
Elizabeth Salinas

Posted: 9 Jan 2009 6:40AM GMT
Elizabeth,

I saw your message from June of last year to Lamar Van Gunten on behalf of my grandfather, William Henry Nugent. It was nice of you to respond. My grandfather died in March, 2007, so unfortunately the information can't be shared with him. I also have been doing research on our branch of the Nugent family and have been stuck on Patrick Henry Nugent (my great grandfather, and your gggrandfather), I haven't been able to get any further back than him.

I have found a fair amount of information about him on ancestry. It appears he was born between 1861 and 1864, and he immigrated to the U.S. in 1880. I have received copies of his naturalization papers from Hudson County, NJ, unfortunately they were incomplete. There are quite a few records of transatlantic crossings he made between 1905 and 1912 on ancestry. I also have a copy of the census return from the 1911 Census of Ireland for the family. It indicates my great grandparents were married around 1907 and my great-aunts Kay and Greta (Kathleen and Margaret) were born in 1908 and 1910. Lamar's note was helpful, I didn't know PH's date of death, nor Eileen's DOB. During the 'troubles' my grandfather's family moved from Cork to Dublin.

My grandfather had told me that he had several uncles and aunts in NJ, NY, and Connecticut. Also that PHN had had a family in Bayonne. When WHN came to the U.S. in 1929 he stayed with relatives. The 1930 census shows him staying with George Nugent and his family. The return indicated George was his uncle. I have found lots of information on George, I believe his father was named Jeremiah Nugent and he lived in Dunbeacon which is outside of Bantry.

I had heard a story about a funeral home, and politics. I have also found documentation that indicates the family was also in liquor distribution. Can you confirm anything about either politics or liquor? A recurring address is 321 Broadway Bayonne, NJ. PHN gave it as his residence in several ship's manifests. Any information you could supply would be most helpful and appreciated.

Best Regards,

Chris Nugent

P.S. My grandfather talked about the Electricity Works several times. Supposedly, the power was turned on the day he was born. I can't say whether it's true, or not, but it makes a good tale!

CRN

Posted: 9 Jan 2009 3:47PM GMT
Hi, Chris. It's so good to hear from you. I would be delighted to share whatever info I have. I have alot of e-mails with interesting information that I could forward to you. If you want to e-mail me directly my address is lala-salinas@satx.rr.com. When I get your post I'll forward you those e-mails. Several Nugent brothers came over to Bayonne, and they did own saloons, and also a dry goods store called Nugent Brothers. My great-grandfather, Patrick Henry (the son) owned a funeral parlor. I like the story about the power going on the day William Henry was born!
Elizabeth Salinas

Posted: 4 Apr 2009 12:18PM GMT
Hello all,

I am a direct descendent as well of the Nugents who lived in Dunbeacon (near Mount Gabriel). I believe one of the Nugents, Mary was out working on the hillside during WWII when a German plane crash landed. Apperntly, she resuced two crew members who were then interned for the rest of the war. She was awarded a medal for her bravery.
My line of Nugents were also business people. My grandfather John moved to Clonakilty and opened up a clothes shop. I would be very interested in hearing from anyone with some history of my grandfather backwards.

Posted: 5 Apr 2009 5:42AM GMT
I looked through Griffith Valuations to find a Patrick Nugent as main tenant (possible owner) leasing to Michael Nugent. Also there was a William Nugent of Timoleague Parish - Carhoo Townland; William Nugent Timoleague Parish, Timleague Townland (note in Griffiths Valuation a farmer may have more than one property so William could be 1 with two pieces of property or two different William.
S. Nugent 'in fee' usually means ownership Buttevant Parish ,Grange E; Walter x 2 Castletown Roche, Ballyveelick and Walter x 6 Clenor, Ballygown

In the Dublin Census 1851 there were 78 Nugent - I can print and scan but don't think there would be much point. Thee are 3 pages of Nugents in a Passenger list 53 in all Passenger 1890; 12 Nugents 1858-1870, from various ports.

Property Owners 1870 Cork:
John Jaames Nugent, Dublin owned 280 Acres in Cork
Mrs. Nugent, Dublin owned 586 Acres in Cork
These are significant size acreages so I imagine they would be persons of means.

I can't go back to check if I gave you this so I will do so anyway: www.igp-web.com/cork

Annette Code

Posted: 19 Apr 2009 6:54AM GMT
Hello,

I am a decendant of the Shanahans from Dunbeacon, Durrus, County Cork. Julia (actually Juliann) visited Jeremiah Nugent at 263 Avenue D in Bayonne, NY. Per the May 1908 Ellis Island manifest he was her cousin.

The 1900 census shows a boarder in the home, Michael Casey. Mary Casey Shanahan was Julia's grandmother, so I suspect a relationship through the Casey line.

Are you aware of a Nugent/Casey/Shanahan connection?

Regards,
Micki

Posted: 26 Jul 2010 10:27PM GMT
Surnames: Nugent
I am currently researching the Nugent family. My partner is the grandson of Annie Nugent, whose father was Daniel Nugent (born 1876)who was the brother of Patrick Henry Nugent. They came from Libeen, Dunbeacon (near Durrus) Ireland. We visited last Dec/Jan and will return again this Dec/Jan. We found the Nugent farm as well as Jeremiah "Long Jerry" Nugent's grave as well as his brother Michael "Ould Micky" grave. We had some basic information when we went there, stopped into a pub and asked if anyone knew any Nugents in town. We were directed to a Rita Nugent, a great granddaughter of Ould Micky - she gave us directions to the farm house and grave, etc. I just contacted a wife of another decendant who also has information and has been in the old farm house (owned by a Dutch couple). Would love to share information my e-mail address is rthoadley@juno.com Robert Hoadley

Posted: 26 Jul 2010 10:33PM GMT
Surnames: Nugent.
Hello. I am researching this Nugent family for one of Patrick Henry's brother Daniel (born 1876) grandsons. Daniel's daughter Annie Nugent came to America in the late 20s as a Nanny, married and had a son. The son married and has three sons (one in Moore Park, one in Davis CA and one near Sacramento). In the past month I discovered that so many of the Nugents went to America, namely Bayonne. I am instersted in finding out more. my e-mail address is rthoadley@Juno.com. This past January we went to the farm house in Dunbeacon as well as Jeremiah and his brother Michael's graves. Met up with Rita Nugent, a great granddaughter of Michael. We are returning in December to see more.

Posted: 26 Jul 2010 11:24PM GMT
Surnames: Nugent
Hello, I am currently researching this Nugent family for a great gradson of Daniel Nugent (b. 1876), son of Jeremiah Nugent. Daniel's daughter Annie came to America in the late 20s as a nanny, then married a Brosnan (from Co. Kerry near Tralee) and had a son, this son has three boys. We visited the Nugent farm in Dunbeacon in Jan 10 and will return this Dec/Jan. Also viewed the graves of Jeremiah and his brother Michael. We met Rita Nugent, a great granddaughter of Michael Nugent while in Durrus who told us where the Nugent farm and graves were. Would love to hear from you rthoadley@juno.com Robert
per page

Find a board about a specific topic