Search for content in message boards

Need help to convert an FTM to gedcom

Need help to convert an FTM to gedcom

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 5:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for a little help please, my wife has all her work saved as an FTM file and I know youve all heard it before the compute has crashed and now need the FTM converting to a gedcom...can anyone help please..

Re: Need help to convert an FTM to gedcom

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 9:53PM GMT
You'll need to load the FTM file up in a version of FTM greater or equal to the version that created the file. If the computer has crashed, this probably means you'll need to install FTM elsewhere and update it.

Once opened in FTM, you just go to the file menu, export, and choose GEDCOM.

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 9:59PM GMT
And I suggest a subscription to an online backup service for all your computers.

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 10:15PM GMT
...or at least some backup system: an extra hard drive (internal or external), a set of RAID drives, regularly burning to DVD, etc.

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 3:09AM GMT
You didn't say which version of FTM the file was created in. Usually GEDCOM is only needed if you are going to change genealogy programs. Current versions of FTM do a good job of working with older vesion files.

Go to your local Genealogy Society or Family History Center with the file on USB or CD. I'm betting someone will know a member who would be willing to fire up their copy of FTM and convert it for you.

Another option is to install FTM on your new computer and just copy the file to that computer by what ever is the easiest method.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic