Search for content in message boards

One tree on two computers

One tree on two computers

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 6:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Using FTM2012, I have a tree on shared disk between two PCs. I usually use only the desktop with a large screen. I am now also using a laptop with smaller screen.

I have a problem sometimes when I close FTM, I see the screen closing the file, on the laptop and open on the desktop, maybe hours apart, and find FTM with the screen size of the laptop and I can use the Search option to connect to Ancestry but I cannot merge or change the parameters relating to the individual in the upper left panel of search. Doing this in the opposite direction also has the problem with search but screen size is max for laptop.

Anyone with experience or recommendations?

Thanks,
RON C
Laptop is XP x32 and desktop is win7 x64.

In this case, I must shut FTM on the desktop

Re: One tree on two computers

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 2:11AM GMT
I share a tree between a desktop and laptop, but I'm not sure I understood your description of the problem(s) you're experiencing.

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 2:45AM GMT
I'm now sure there is something to do with Permissions but haven't figured what it is.

See JPG.

RON C
Attachments:

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 8:12PM GMT
Ron,

I'm unable to recreate the problem you're experiencing. I do notice, however, that when I click on the name (or the edit search button), when it overlays the search window, the rest of the screen is grayed out.

Have you tried scrolling down to see if the search window is being displayed below?

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 9:39PM GMT
When you say, "I have a tree on shared disk between two PCs," WHERE is the disk? In one of the two computers? How does the other on access the file?

On a Network Attached Storage device which both computers mount as a drive?

More details on how this 'sharing' is done? Two computers cannot have the same file open at the same time. Trying to do so creates monster problems unless one has the file in a read-only state...even then, what happens if the B computer changes the file while it is open on the A readonly computer? See? it gets really dicey.

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 9:56PM GMT
See attached for a different reaction but the screen is still grayed.

It is like something has been messed up with the program. I uninstalled on the Desktop and reinstalled and still have problem.

Problem doesn't occur on Laptop.

The file is stored in the \\PC-RONC\Users\Public\FTM-share area on the Desktop.

I really appreciate all of your help getting this squared.

Thanks,
RON C
Attachments:

Re: One tree on two computers ---- RESOLVED

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 11:50PM GMT
Problem was JavaScript being turned off in IE which I never use or touch.

RONC

Re: One tree on two computers ---- RESOLVED

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 12:33AM GMT
Glad you got it sorted. FTM uses something like an internet explorer plugin for maps and searches, so your settings there affect how the plugin works in FTM.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions