Search for content in message boards

British Emigration and Temperance Society

British Emigration and Temperance Society

Posted: 23 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 12:37AM GMT
Was the British Emigration and Temperance Society, that settled so much of Dane County and Iowa County, an organized attempt to reclaim Wisconsin territory for the British?

British Temperance Society

Lois Wolff White (View posts)
Posted: 29 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
I believe the British Temperance and Emmigration Society of which my Great Great Grandfather was a part, came to Dane Co Wis to obtain and settle land but not at the request of the British Government. It was instead, in my understanding of what I've studied, what we might call today a "land scam". After a few years, some of the original settlers had disputes, and the program was discontinued. My family names involved in this were Reeve and Gorst.

British Temperance Emigration Society

Posted: 30 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 3:04AM GMT
Just want to correct the spelling of Temerance. The correct title is The British Temperance Emigration Society.

British Temperance Society

Lois Wolff White (View posts)
Surnames: Reeve, Gorst
Thank you Virgil Matz for your response. I believe I have the book of which you speak, althought I can't presently locate it, so I might be thinking of another. It does seem to me that there was some type of legal action between my great great grandfather, Charles Reeve and Robert Gorst over this thing - that some people following the original settlers felt they were being led astray. I believe Reeve and Gorst ceased to be friends after that. Must locate my book!

The British Temerance Emigration Society

Edited: 25 Jun 2001 3:04AM GMT
I am the Research Historian for the Mazomanie Historical Society. THE HISTORY OF THE TOWNSHIP AND VILLAGE OF MAZOMANIE by William Kittle, 1900, has the best history of the BTES written anywhere. Anyone who would read the history would see that it was not a land scan. There were 691 who came and settled between 1843 and 1850 and some after. It was organized Dec. 26, 1842. The men who had the most to do with organizing it were Robert Gorst, Charles Wilson and Charles Reeves. A reproduction of the book is available from the Mazomanie Historical Society, P.O. Box 248, Mazomanie, WI 53560 for $11.50 (this includes postage, handling and taxes)

Re: The British Temerance Emigration Society

Posted: 2 Oct 2001 4:17AM GMT
Surnames: Charles Otis Hall, B. 7-30-1883
Hello Virgil,
I'm interested in the Hall's from Baraboo, WI. My G.F. Charles Otis Hall may be the son of "a man named Hall" who was working in Mankato, MN. When his job ran out he & some buddies started a circus called Hall and Ringling. The date was May, 1880, Charles Otis was b. July 30, 1883
somewhere in MN.

Re: The British Temerance Emigration Society

Andrew Szudy (View posts)
Posted: 20 Oct 2001 9:35PM GMT
The book is also available in electronic form at http://www.rootsweb.com/~wigmvhs

--Andy

Re: British Temperance Society

Jessica (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2002 9:01PM GMT
Surnames: Reeve, Gorst
hi Lois,

I've been trying to contact you, but my emails don't seem to go through. I am related to the Reeve family descended from Charles. I would love to get in touch with you and trade notes. Please contact me.

Jessica

Re: British Temperance Society

Posted: 20 Sep 2005 8:25PM GMT
hello
im angela
and my relation was the gorst who was involved with that

angeladmorrison1@hotmail.co.uk
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions