Search for content in message boards

Are more people marking their trees private?

Are more people marking their trees private?

Posted: 23 Nov 2013 8:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Is it just me, or does anyone else notice that lately more and more people are marking their family trees as private? We are getting plenty of matches to the two DNA tests we've taken, but I notice, especially on the Irish side of the family (the side we know the least about) we seem to be getting almost every other match to a private tree. A lot of them are really big trees, too. It's so frustrating because I don't know if it will be a valid match without seeing anything, and I don't really want to send out multiple begging e-mails that may not prove to be at all useful. Please, if you have a private tree, consider sharing with others! ..... I just hope the private tree people are enjoying all my research when they can see my tree and I can't see theirs!

Re: Are more people marking their trees private?

Posted: 23 Nov 2013 10:41PM GMT
I have a private tree linked to a DNA test, but I gladly share with anyone who is a match and contacts me. As long as people are willing to share then I don't see private vs. public to be a real hindrance. It's when people refuse to share even when there is a match, or even worse when there is a shaky leaf hint, that the "crowd sourcing" function of ancestry.com breaks down.

Posted: 23 Nov 2013 10:43PM GMT
I am noticing that quite a few new DNA matches are linked to very minimal trees. Perhaps these are adoptees, or maybe people who tested go get their "ethnicity" and are not really into family history.

Posted: 24 Nov 2013 4:01PM GMT
Why do you keep your dna tree private? What is the point? Would you do so if everybody's dna tree were private? I Think not because then there would be no point in dna testing at all. There is no point to dna testing if you do not want to share (assuming you are interested in the genealogical aspect). If you are worried about access to our pictures and documents, it is such a simple thing to make a barebones tree to attach to dna with only names, dates and locales so that your matches can look for a connection.

I don't contact people with private trees generally. I don't have time. They go into the trash.

Posted: 24 Nov 2013 4:03PM GMT
And yes, I agree that more and more of my matches have private trees. It looks like about 1/3 are private with another large segment that have no attached trees at all.

Posted: 24 Nov 2013 6:35PM GMT
Edited: 24 Nov 2013 6:37PM GMT
My husband has NEVER had a shaking leaf hint for any of his matches (he tested one year ago). His family emigrated from Ireland and Scotland. When I see a 5th to 8th cousin match, I always wonder if there might be that "missing link" in the other tree that would help us go further back. But when I've sent e-mails to the private trees, I've gotten replies such as "No, I don't see a match," if I even get a reply. And no offer to share. There might be a name in that private tree which would give me a good lead, but I don't get to see it at all.

Since you can mark anyone in your tree as "living", and therefore have them show up as "private" in a public tree, why even have a private tree? As the previous poster suggested, make up a bare bones tree to share if your family information is too important for the rest of us to see.

Posted: 24 Nov 2013 7:17PM GMT
This can be a big pain, but there are a couple of things I do when I see a potentially useful private match. One is to click on their Ancestry id. Sometimes they have both private and public trees. They may also have a message board posting history that can provide leads. For any private match that is moderate confidence or above, I send an email giving them information about my family and requesting access. I get very few responses, but sometimes it pays off. Finally, I google their Ancestry id. Sometimes I find that they have trees or postings on rootsweb and other public sites.

Jim

Posted: 27 Nov 2013 8:00PM GMT
Mine was private for a while after I experienced negative interactions with other people about my tree. I have gained the most useful information from contacting private tree owners (and one who did not even have a tree).

I completely understand why some chose to keep their trees private. Mine is public now, though I "pruned" it down to avoid any future less than enjoyable contact.

Posted: 7 Dec 2013 8:11AM GMT
This is a pet peeve of mine. People will take things from my tree....and when I go to look at their tree:-- it is a private tree......I no longer bother contacting these people....there is a nice button there that says "Block User" A simple click and the thought: "that'll teach them" I have heard from a few that I have blocked. There have not been many that I have blocked. I do have a large 9800+ people. I have met some wonderful people because of the tree. It is great to find relataves all over the world.

Posted: 7 Dec 2013 3:38PM GMT
You are misunderstanding what the "Block User" feature actually does. It does not prevent the member from viewing your tree, it only blocks them from sending messages to you. They an still see our tree.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic