Search for content in message boards

Ferrer - Ponce, PR

Ferrer - Ponce, PR

JRN (View posts)
Posted: 4 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Ferrer
PONCE, Puerto Rico-- Roman Catholic Sister M. Isolina Ferre, a U.S. Medal of Freedom recipient who used her wealthy family's influence to create charities, died yesterday at age 85, a family spokesman said. Flags flew at half-staff in the capital in her honor.

Ferre was being treated for respiratory problems at the Women's Hospital in Ponce, a city in southern Puerto Rico, spokesman Jose Serra said. An official cause of death was not released.

President Clinton awarded Ferre the Medal of Freedom, the highest U.S. civilian honor, in August 1999 for founding centers for delinquent youths as well as clinics and empowerment centers in Puerto Rico, New York City and the Appalachia region in the eastern United States.

Ferre gained international recognition in the late 1950s and 1960s for her mediation efforts with Puerto Rican youth gangs in Brooklyn. She later returned home to found her first community aid center in Ponce. In 1988, Ferre established Ponce's Trinity College, a vocational school.

Ferre was born in Ponce in 1914 into one of Puerto Rico's most prominent families. The Ferre family owns two leading newspapers and her brother, former Gov. Luis A. Ferre, founded the ruling New Progressive Party and Ponce Art Museum.

Ferre decided to become a nun in the Missionary Servants of the Holy Trinity order during a visit to Havana, Cuba in 1935.

She worked in the poor mining communities of Appalachia and with immigrants in Massachusetts before attending St. Joseph College for Women and Fordham University, both in New York City.

She is survived by her brother.

Source: Worcester Telegram & Gazette ( Friday, August 4, 2000 )

Re: Ferrer - Ponce, PR

Posted: 23 Feb 2003 5:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Feb 2004 4:18AM GMT
Surnames: MEDINA
Sister Isolina Ferre was well indeed a good civilian. I am trying to find out roots of my Grandmother. This might be a perfect path to my ancestors. My grandmother, Virginia Medina, was Sister Isolina Ferre, right hand. Virginia was originally from La Playa De Ponce, P.R. Matter of fact, she lived right infront of the school Doctor Pila in Ponce back in the 1960-70's. Virginia Medina past away in the early 1980's. If someone can knows of any information, please email me at girlsassociated@aol.com

Re: Ferrer - Ponce, PR

Posted: 28 Sep 2013 7:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Virginia Medina
Hello,
I have some information about Virginia Medina your grandmother and my grand aunt. You may contact me if interested .
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions