Search for content in message boards

Upgrading from FTM 2011 to FTM 2012

Upgrading from FTM 2011 to FTM 2012

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 3:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have used 2011 since it came out, after resolving some installation issues. Then my laptop went out and I had to have everything wiped and reinstalled. In the meantime I received FTM 2012. When I got my laptop back, remembering the issues I had over about 3 months with FTM 2011, I was afraid to install 2012 as it states that if you do open your tree in it, you will be unable to open it in prior versions. Scary stuff when you consider all the problems.

The question I have is: Is it worth installing FTM 2012 or should I stick with FTM 2011? Bear in mind that I don't care about syncing with the online tree and will not use that.

Re: Upgrading from FTM 2011 to FTM 2012

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 4:10AM GMT
There are worth while features that come with FTM 2012, plus it is the current supported version.

To protect yourself just make a copy of the FTM 2011 files to another location before you open them. Then if something should go wrong with the upgrade to FTM 2012 you can always start over. Make a copy of the FTM file and the media folder that goes with it.

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 6:28AM GMT
Edited: 23 Nov 2012 6:29AM GMT
I would definitely upgrade to FTM2012. There are dozens of updates and changes from FTM2011 - even not counting the sync feature (which I don't use either).

What some users do, including me, is to identify our file names with the version that file is associated with. For example, before I upgraded to FTM2012, my file was xxx2011.ftm and was in:

FTM2011 Data Files
....xxx2011.ftm
....xxx2011media (folder) - with contents.

I then created new folders:

FTM2012 Data Files
.... xxx2012media (folder with contents)

I copied xxx2011.ftm to the 2012 file and changed the name in Windows explorer and also copied all of the contents of the media folder.

I then brought up xxx2012.ftm in FTM2011 and made sure I had everything - the number of individuals agreed, sources, images, etc. I also went into media and used the FTM edit to find unlinked images and told FTM to find any it found.

I then exited FTM2011 and installed FTM2012 and told it to open the file xxx2012.ftm. That file will be changed by FTM2012 and cannot be read by earlier versions.

I have the data files associated with each version of FTM for the past 10 years on my hard disk.

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 4:55PM GMT
It's also worth copying the FTM2011 file and folders to an external location too, an external hard disk, USB memory stick, or even burn to CD or DVD, just to make sure you've got them seperately.

I feel it's good practice to do this anyway, some people even make duplicate copies and store with a family member or friend in case of getting the original lost or damaged.

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 3:01AM GMT
Thank you for the responses to my query. I so appreciate it. On the weekend my brother was visiting and he also said to copy it to a usb stick and that way its safe.

I never thought of the idea of making a copy every time I change versions and keeping that year-dated copy. I am going to follow the instructions and copy everything indicated and keep it from now on.

Thank you all so much.

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 3:40AM GMT
I wouldn't use a USB stick for permanent storage. An external hard drive or another DVD would be better.

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 11:54AM GMT
Tulrose

Can you explain why you would not use a USB stick or backup?

I have an external hard drive that lives near my computer. I think most external hard drives are near the computer which makes them vulnerable to the same disasters, fire, flood, tornado, tree falling on the house, etc. USB sticks have a large capacity and are easy to store in another location. I regularly copy My Documents, which includes my FTM files, and My Pictures to two USB sticks. One goes in my safe deposit box. It would take multiple DVDs hold the same backup.

Curt

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 3:27PM GMT
USB sticks are more vunerable to memory loss than a standard Hard Drive. In older or less expensive sticks the solid state memory can degrade over time, newer technology used in SSD "hard drives" is better. The same was true at one time for CD ROMs but this has gotten significantly better over time as well. The rule at one time for CD-ROM was "use write once CDs for backup and multi R/W disks for everything else." This has probably changed!

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 4:03PM GMT
kj_norway expressed exactly what I feel. I may possibly be out-of-date but not that much.

For myself, I use an online backup service. It's saved my bacon more than once.

Rosemary

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 5:39PM GMT
I agree with kj_norway.

The thumb drives have limited storage space. The largest I have is 32 gigs, Yes, they come larger but for the same price or a bit more. One can get the small 1T Byte from Seagate that is 1/2"x3 1/2"x5. and it runs off the USB power.
I have one that I carry with with each laptop. It contains backed up files and a current "True Image" of the C drive, so I can rebuilt the laptop on the go if needed.

There are many brands out there and they are all worth the money spent.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions