Search for content in message boards

Edit by descendants

Edit by descendants

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 4:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
My family has a huge descendant book which lists all the descendants of an individual 33 generations ago. I would like to use FTM to digitize that information, but I don't see a way to edit from the oldest person, while seeing all his/her descendants (not just in the published chart, but in the edit screen)? The current view is confined to the selected person and the above generations. I want to see the opposite. Is that possible with FTM or is there a different software that enables that?

Re: Edit by descendants

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 2:06PM GMT
Actually in the-out-of-the-box people view, there are three generations shown in the tree above and a fourth generation with children in the center lower pane,

If I were you I would prove those 33 generations before I placed them in my database

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 3:28PM GMT
As Keith suggests, you can see the family of a selected person in the bottom of the middle pane in the Family Tab. You can enter a child at that view by clicking on "add a child" under the bottom child of the selected person. You can add additional info and facts in the right hand panel, as well as adding the source for each fact.

I normally prefer to add facts beyond birth in the Person View by clicking on the Person tab.

If you want to check where you are, you can setup an Outline Descendant Report - a simple descendant listing in the Publish workspace. You can bookmark the top ancestor to make him the selected person. Then, once the outline descendant report is setup you can just click on the Publish workspace and the updated descendant report will show.

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 9:03PM GMT
Something I do not use much, but may better satisfy your need, is the relationship calculator. From any screen go to the main toolbar find Tools, click to open and select relationship calculator.

In the windows on the left, select the two people of interest from your database. Once you have two people in the left windows, you will see the direct line in the left pane. To get even more information about the people in the direct line Select "View Relationship Chart" at the bottom of the pane, and you will be presented with the birth and death dates of the people in the direct line connection. The chart can then be printed to paper or a PDF printer
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions