Search for content in message boards

Old Campbellton and Cross Point photographs

Old Campbellton and Cross Point photographs

Posted: 24 May 2012 3:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Murray, Macdonald
My grandmother, May (Murray) Macdonald was born in Rogersville, NB in 1885 and grew up in Campbellton. She left many photographs, most of which have unidentified people from Campbellton, NB and Cross Point, Quebec. Her husband, John "Jack" Macdonald is in many of them---he was from Saint John and is an uncle of former Canadian cabinet minister Donald Macdonald. Here's the link to the google photo album:

https://plus.google.com/photos/113004996385458190982/albums/...

If any ring a bell, please let me know!
Jim Condon
Colchester, VT

Re: Old Campbellton and Cross Point photographs

Posted: 2 Jun 2012 6:18PM GMT
Surnames: Macdonald, Henderson, McNeil, McKenzie
That was such a treat, Jim! I will say that the two photos that say "C'ton fire celebration 1910"... should that be 1911, one year later? I have a few photos of the town council meeting in 1910, just after the fire. My grandmother was ten at the time. My G Grandfather Alexander McGillivray Macdonald was Mayor of Campbellton in 1911 and served one other term as well. Are you interested in these photos?
Attachments:

Posted: 2 Jun 2012 7:57PM GMT
Surnames: Murray, Brennan, Macdonald, McDonald
I love the photo of Macdonald's Drug Store, very cool. The inscriptions on the photos were from my grandmother, Mary Esther "May" Murray, who married John Macdonald. May's father, Henry Murray, ran the Commercial Hotel in town. The "1910" should have been "1911," like the other photo (I'm guessing they were taken the same day). The Murrays were actually Brennans - they all changed their last names when Henry's widowed grandmother married a Murray. It was easier to get work as a Murray rather than a Brennan at the time! To confuse matters more, Henry Murray married Caroline Jane McDonald. Glad you liked the pics!

Posted: 3 Jun 2012 3:04PM GMT
I don't think our Macdonalds were related, but would love to know it if they were. "Our" Macdonalds changed their spelling, to McDonald, and the store was opened with the Henderson's, who were relatives by marriage.

Posted: 9 Jun 2012 1:18AM GMT
OH, one fun story that I was told was that my Great Grandmother Bessie Macdonald (McDonald)played the honky-tonk piano for the local Campbellton Theatre!

Posted: 7 Aug 2012 2:13AM GMT
Surnames: Murray, Furlotte
My husband's mother was a Murray descended from the Brennan's as well. We're here in Campbellton at the moment looking for the gravesite of his grandmother (he only remembers her as Lottie) and his grandfather Joseph Murray. If you can help us at all it would be appreciated. His grandmother's maiden name was Furlotte.

Posted: 6 Sep 2012 1:14PM GMT
Surnames: Murray Brennan
Sorry I hadn't checked the messages sooner---as you're probably not in the Campbellton area still, but here's some info that I hope helps for your next visit:

Joseph Albert Murray (1891 - 1944) was the son of John Brennan-Murray (1855 - 1894) and Margaret Jane Foster. John Brennan-Murray was a brother of my great-grandfather, Henry Murray, so we are related! John and Henry were among the children of Michael Brennan and Mary O'Leary.

You probably know the Brennan/Murray story, but here it is again: Michael Brennan was the son of William Brennan and Mary Julia O'Gaffrey (or Caffery or Gaffery). William Brennan died in 1815 at the approximate age of 65. They had two children we know of, William and Michael. His widow, who must have been significantly younger, then married J. Michael Murray (supposedly married 1815 in PEI, but no record has been found).

Michael Brennan's children eventually adopted the Murray surname. The logical explanation is that is was much easier to find work if you had a Scottish, rather than Irish, surname. Michael Brennan's children and grandchildren all became Murray's, although they were often identified as "Brennan-Murray" on some birth, marriage and death certificates.

Joseph Albert Murray, according to my notes, was born and died in Cross Point, QC, just across from Campbellton. His wife was Anna Loretta Ferlotte, b. 23 July 1898 in Restigouche County, d. 1970 in Simcoe, ON. She was the daughter of Jean Isaac Ferlotte and Elizabeth Shannon.

Joseph and Loretta ("Lottie") hd six children, as far as I know: Joseph Donald Murray (1922 - 2002, married Rita May Walsh); Robert Elmer Murray (1923 - 1976, married Theresa Parker); William Kenneth Murray (1925 - 1983, married Olga Langley); Mary Audrey Elizabth Murray (b. 1927, married Joseph Henry St. Onge); Joseph Albert Ronald Murray (1929 - 1991, married Stella Doucet) and Marie Dorothy Jeanne Murray (b. 1931, married John Joseph Creedon). I hope this info helps. Email me directly at jamesoneillcondon@gmail.com if I can be of any other assistance. Glad to find we're related!

Posted: 6 Sep 2012 9:13PM GMT
The email address for you doesn't work for me. Maybe if you send me an email at taupha1@gmail.com I'll be able to add you to my contact list.

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 8:43PM GMT
Hi
I was checking your pictures and I noticed the general store in Cross Point. My ancestors were Quinns. James Quinn who died in 1916 ran a general store in Cross Point. A daughter Teresa and son in law Peter Edward Geraghty moved in with the father and also ran the store. James also ran the Ferry in 1866 that ran from Campbellton to Cross Point. I don' t know if the picture is the store he owned or not. Also I have a Michael Brennan Murray married to Laurd Alice Quinn in 1900. This is a daughter of James. She would be my great, great Aunt. May be the same family, the Brennan Murray that is. It would be so nice if this was the store. Any idea how old the picture is.

Thanks
Ann

Posted: 8 Aug 2013 6:38PM GMT
Dear Ann,

I'm sorry I didn't see your post until just now! Yes, Michael Ernest Brennan-Murray was my grandmother May Murray's first cousin. My great-grandfather was Henry Murray, brother of Michael's father, William S. Murray. I wish I knew more about the store in the picture, or when the photo was taken...but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was your family's store. Michael and Laura Quinn had a boatload of children (12?). My direct email is jamesoneillcondon@gmail.com. If you send me an email, I'll send you an invite to the family tree. Cheers!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions