Search for content in message boards

LANG Plantation in Langsdale?

LANG Plantation in Langsdale?

Posted: 13 Nov 2008 11:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello,

I'm wondering if any LANG descendant or someone local to the area might have any photos of, or be able to take pics of the Lang plantation near Shubuta? I found this description (below) on-line and would love to get a picture of the house and slave quarters. My wife's family descends from slaves from the Lang plantation. Thanks!

----

Circa 1855 • Greek Revival • Langsdale County Road 610, east of Shubuta in the Langsdale Community.
This is the most outstanding and remarkable house in Clarke County and is in a good state of preservation. This land was originally owned by Thomas P. Falconer, an early resident of Wayne County. It came into the Lang family in 1846. Clement D. Lang, a wealthy bachelor son of the original Lang owner, W.A. Lang, began construction of the house and plantation after 1853. It is said that 12 carpenters and all available slave labor were required to build the house, which took 14 months to construct at a cost of $35,000. Lang owned several thousand acres of land and 500 slaves. Cotton was the principal money crop. It was shipped down the Chickasawhay River to Mobile on flat boats. During this time, Langsdale was a social and cultural center for the surrounding countryside. Clement Lang was ruined by the Civil War and died destitute.

Other buildings of interest at Prairie Palace include two sets of out-buildings (circa 1855). One is the only remaining set of out-buildings in the county associated with this type of plantation. The other is the only remaining slave quarters on this plantation. Two rows of brick buildings, 10 or 12 originally, were built on each side of a wide tree-lined road about one-fourth mile to the west of the house. Each house is said to have housed two families. The Overseer’s House (circa 1830) is a folk-giant dogtrot, the largest dogtrot in the county and possibly the largest in the state. WPA records make reference to an overseer’s house that could have been this building, as it is located to the west of the house between the original slave-quarter row and the house. Dwight Tew, a previous owner, was offered $30,000 for the dogtrot by a man from New Orleans, who wanted to dismantle it and sell the logs individually for $1,000 each.

Re: LANG Plantation in Langsdale?

Posted: 2 Jan 2009 6:13AM GMT
The Lang home is a beautiful relic of Clarke county history. I believe I have some photographs of it. Contact me privately and I will email them to you.

Posted: 16 May 2009 4:52AM GMT
I would like to say, as a local that this home is gorgeous; I have asked to go inside- which was denied. i guess the man was tired of people asking. In the community some folks call this place the Cross plantation- this was a family who had the place in 1920s. The old post office was in this home also. A table from Gen Sherman's destructive "visit" is in the home, I've been told. About 8 yrs ago, it was for sale; I do not know if it sold. I know the slave chapel is the small brick building near back right of the home. The home itself is 3 stories. The top floor was the ballrom. I must say the slave livgin quarters for the time they were built were extremely nice, when many lived in shacks (whites & blacks). It was also not common for slaves to have their own chapel. Mr Lang must have been a decent man.

The dog trot on the property in article you cite- I read some where that it was the actual first home used on the property & then used by others like the overseer. I read that people believe this dog trot was actually from the MS terr days.

Not far is my Slay family & the Langsdale Comm Center- an old church building.

The slave cem was behind the antebellum home. My Slay family put in pond when I was young in back of their property & seems like folks were talking about the slave cem behind the antebellum home. The pond, of course was not in that area.

You might find ref to this home being Cross plantation, which may aid you in your knowledge search.

Posted: 17 May 2009 3:53AM GMT
Thanks Wendy.

Posted: 16 May 2011 10:23PM GMT
Surnames: LANG
HELLO :) I AM ALSO A DESCENTDENT OF CLEMENT D. LANG. PLEASE SEND ME SOME PICTURES. @ REVERSON@STLOUISCO.COM

THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH Ms. Wendy Daugherty

Posted: 30 Dec 2011 6:50PM GMT
Just wanted to add some info on Langsdale...I was married there in Nov., 2006. The owner is a wonderful man who is friends with several members of my family, and he is also a descendant of some of the earliest families to own the property. He said that we were only the 3rd couple to be married there since the Civil War.

The staircase I descended in my wedding was late getting to the home in 1811-1812 because it was made in France and was caught in the embargo of all forgein shipments to the US during the War of 1812. They made a simple cyress staircase to use until the commissioned staircase arrived. Some estimates say the home was built in the 1840's, however the owner has papers that despute that.
I think the home was for sale due to the huge costs of restoration and maintaining the home. The owner has done so much, but there is still so much that needs to be done.

There are many Langs left in the area. Look at phone listings for Shubuta, MS to find them. I remember one outstanding high school football player named Lang who lived in the area.

I will try and scan some of my wedding pics so I can send them to you.

Posted: 19 Sep 2012 4:07PM GMT
Langsdale was built in the 1850s after the property was transfered from the Falconers to the Langs through the marriage of Thomas Powe Falconer to Jerusha Emily Lang in 1847.

The Langs had been the owners and occupants of Silver Lake in Wayne County until then.

After Langsdale was finished, the Langs moved in and three of the Flaconer sons moved in to Silver Lake.

Across the road from Langsdale is the original Falconer family home, sometimes called "the overseer's house." It was rebuilt in 2011. Just beyond it are the remains of a slave house, one of the very few from which you can still see how it was made.

Posted: 31 Oct 2012 6:38PM GMT
My husband and I are looking into this property. We aren't sure we are ready to dedicate the time and money it may take to fix this place up, but we are intrigued by it and going to check it out. We have spoken with the owner and arranged a showing. He seems to be a very nice guy, and a descendant of the original owners. He says the house was built in 1811, but the Historic Register has the designer and builder as Clement Lang. Clement Lang wasn't even born until 1818.
According to a genealogy book at the local library, Dr. Falconer was a later home owner of this estate. His story seems to be remarkable as well.
There are limited resources on this plantation; however judging by it grandeur, I feel like there is so much history to this home. I'm piecing things together at the library slowly, but I'm sure I'm misinformed on so much. Does anyone have any resources they can guide me to at this point. I would love to know more history about Langsdale, Clement D. Lang, Dr. Bolivar Lang Falconer, Col. DuBose, the Cross family, the post mistress that once operated the post office in the home, and any other owners or slave descendants. I would also love to get in touch with any Lang family members.
Attachments:

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 10:45PM GMT
I AMA DESENDENT OF THE LANG FAMILY I AM THE GREAT GREAT GRAND DAUGHTER OF CLEMENT D. LANG

Posted: 13 Jun 2013 4:19PM GMT
Thomas Powe Falconer and Jerusha Lang were my great great paternal grandparents. I have some the original furniture from Langsdale and some early pictures. Theodore Alexander Falconer III
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions