Search for content in message boards

RE: Ships to Puerto Rico

RE: Ships to Puerto Rico

Posted: 2 Jul 2013 11:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know of any ships that left Ireland to Puerto Rico? My grandmother told me her grandmother arrived from Ireland to Puerto Rico Im thinking somewhere around 1840's-1860's? Would these ships stop in England first? There was a large Irish community in Lares,Puerto Rico where my grandmother was from, The surname Conway was the Irish name within that area. Can anyone help me or direct me to where I can find more info Thanks Norma

Re: RE: Ships to Puerto Rico

Posted: 4 Jul 2013 12:30AM GMT
Suggest you look to the State of Mississippi for information about immigrants who passed through their ports from Ireland but bound elsewhere - like Puerto Rico. Mississippi had its own "Ellis Island" where immigrants had to be processed and similar facilities existed in the Carolinas on the eastern seaboard, so looking into the state archives for Mississippi may help you track your ancestor. Here is web address to the state archives in question: http://www.mdah.state.ms.us/arrec/gen_research.php

Re: RE: Ships to Puerto Rico

Posted: 10 Jul 2013 4:30PM GMT
Thank you so much for the info and website, hope to find the info I need.I had hit a brick wall when researching for her Irish roots. Thanks a million Norma
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions