Search for content in message boards

Transferring version 9.0 FTM files to Windows 7

Transferring version 9.0 FTM files to Windows 7

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 7:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have Family Tree Maker version 9.0 on my old laptop (XP) and have been trying for hours to export my files to my new laptop with Windows 7 and Family Tree Maker version 9.0 installed.
The only backups or exports the Family Tree Maker will generate have ftmb extension. When I attempt to open or restore the file, I receive a message that it is an invalid file/path. Have tried various routes and searched all over the web without success. Turned off the virus protector and copied to the desktop from the external hard drive as someone indicated I should. What do I do? I am skeptical of saving as a gedcom for fear I will lose the formatting, etc. Thanks for any suggestions other than purchasing the latest version of Family Tree Maker.

Re: Transferring version 9.0 FTM files to Windows 7

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 9:06PM GMT
Edited: 23 Nov 2012 9:08PM GMT
You don't need to do a backup and restore. You can just directly import the old .ftw format, as shown here:

http://ancestry.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3673/kw...

After you get your new datafile into your new computer, buy FTM2012 and open it with that.

Re: Transferring version 9.0 FTM files to Windows 7

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 2:39AM GMT
Since you have version 9 on both machines just copy the database file to the new machine into the folder under Documents and the file up FTM, do a File open, and browse to where you copied the file to.

Using the same version of FTM, there is NO need in doing any exporting or backing up and then importing.

Re: Transferring version 9.0 FTM files to version 16

Posted: 6 Jul 2013 12:54AM GMT
I have version 9.0 FTM and have a version 16 that I would like to transfer all my files to. I have many different families researched and tons of data and almost 20 years of research that I do not want to lose. I have them backed up on CD-RW and CD-R (the files). I am not real technically literate (70 yrs old) and would like a simple instruction. To redo thousands of words and text into a newer version but be too much for me. thanks for any help you can give me. I am upgrading from Windows XP in a few months but keeping my XP computer also. Thanks again.

Posted: 6 Jul 2013 2:36AM GMT
Your FTM 9 files backed up on your CD should have the file extension .FTW

eg "myfile.FTW"

Using Windows Explorer copy these files from the CD to a suitable folder in your new computer.

Install and register FTM 2012

Now from FTM 2012 in the Plan view go to New File>Import from an existing file and navigate to where you have saved your .FTW files.

FTM 2012 will open the file and convert it to FTM 2012 format. Repeat for each of the .FTW files

You will end up with all your files available in FTM 2012

John D

Posted: 7 Jul 2013 3:10AM GMT
thank you. However I am a bit confused as I do not have FTM 2012. I have Version 16 and wish to transfer my version 9.0 files to that version. Do I do that the same way?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions