Search for content in message boards

migration from FTM 2012 for Windows to MAC

migration from FTM 2012 for Windows to MAC

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 10:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Using the migration utility, I was able to migrate the file except for one important part: NO MEDIA! Of course I checked media in the process of migrating but after the file is installed on my MAC OSXv10.5.8 I have the information but no media. What can I do?

Re: migration from FTM 2012 for Windows to MAC

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 11:44PM GMT
Edited: 25 Nov 2012 2:45AM GMT
If the links are there, then copy the "media files" from the PC to a folder on your MAC, and then revise the links to agree with the media location.

I am NOT a MAC user, but the PC media folder may need to be at the same location as the MAC FTM data file.

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 8:51PM GMT
Edited: 25 Nov 2012 8:52PM GMT
I've had this problem lately. It started after the latest FTM 2012 update (not 2012 overall, but an incremental update). Over the summer I was able to easily migrate from PC to Mac (which is my backup machine). Now, when I use the migration tool, the 69mb PC file converts to a 136k Mac file! Obviously, it's not converting anything but text.

I wrote up a support ticket but they basically told me there are no known bugs of this type. The older pre-update files I have still convert fine; the newer stuff is useless. I'm not sure which update made the problem- FTM or the Utility tool itself. I think I still have the older migration tool on CD, so I plan on trying that out.

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 9:52PM GMT
In my experience with Ancestry support, you have to do a lot of hand holding when it comes to issues with FTM. They'll do whatever they can to get rid of the ticket as quickly as possible, and you have to ride them to see the problem through to a solution--if one is possible. They are not given incentives to solve problems. They are driven to close tickets.

If you are able to recreate this problem, then tell them to recreate it. If there is a bug in the software, the onus to prove it shouldn't be on you after you've explained how to recreate it.

Posted: 20 Dec 2012 2:58AM GMT
Have you made any progress on this migration issue?

Posted: 20 Dec 2012 8:16AM GMT
None of my methods worked....however, as soon as the FTM update to 21.0.0.723 came out at the end of November alongside the Migration Tool update to 1.0.0.149 everything started working again perfectly.

Although my support ticket response was that they were unaware of any problems, I find that fishy. The versions before and after the one I had problems with worked just fine.

Posted: 5 Sep 2013 7:51AM GMT
Thanks to QuinnTV and his/her clue that FTM has left links to outdated/faulty migration tools. In particular, the confirmation of my d/l order this weekend for FTM for MAC linked to their migration tool dated January 11, 2012. When you mentioned a later file, I looked around and found version 1.0.0.153. It worked, the older version did not. Like your experience, it didn't bring along and media.

Posted: 6 Sep 2013 1:27AM GMT
I still do not have any media files on the MAC Family Tree Maker. If I put the Family Tree Maker media files on a CD, i. e., install all those files on the MAC, then how do I link them to the individuals in my tree? I have a great many media files. I can't go back and link each one to the proper person. Aren't lots of people having this same problem?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions