Search for content in message boards

Installing FTM 2012 update to new version

Installing FTM 2012 update to new version

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 7:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am currently running FTM 2012 v21.0.0.580 on Windows 7 64bit. There is a "compulosry update" which absolutely refuses to install. I have asked avanquest - but hey, no answer, now there's a surprise! I have tried

a) running as Administrator
b) running in "compatibility" mode Windows XP Service Pack 3 and also Windows 7

Nothing seems to work. I get the screen which shows the update and the FTM program with a check mark but when I press Update, the whole lot disappears and I'm left with nothing, the FTM doesn't even launch. The only way to get FTM to launch is to press Cancel to the compulsory update and then to say "yes I know it's compulsory and I want to ignore it" and then it will launch.

This is the second time that I've had problems with a compulsory update. Windows 7 64bit has been around for a long time now, you'd think that "they" would make sure that their software worked wouldn't you?

All ideas welcome.
Thanks
Hilary

Re: Installing FTM 2012 update to new version

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 1:21AM GMT
If I remember right, after you click Update, just wait awhile, about 5 minutes. I think there was no screen action while the install was being done. When you clicked Cancel, them the update was removed and you need to start over.

Reboot, your machine, fire up FTM, and let the update do it's thing.

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 10:53AM GMT
Thanks for the idea but having waited an hour after agreeing to the update and before clicking on the FTM icon again to launch the program, I'm no further on. The update has not installed. :-(

Anyone any more ideas?

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 1:48PM GMT
You say "I have asked avanquest". Why not call Ancestry dirctly? Phone Numbers at http://c.ancestry.com/Affiliate/Knowledgebase/contact/contac...

You might try "restoring" your Windows to a date prior to the first attempt at install. Then fire up FTM to see if it will install (kind of like starting over).

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 4:35PM GMT
Thanks will try both these on Thursday when I'm around during the day. WIll let you know!

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 10:17AM GMT
Thanks ginglish1 - I'm now fixed after calling their very helpful help line. I had naively assumed that they would prefer/respond to email! The answer(s) were to be found at

http://ancestry.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5409

I installed manually successfully
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions