Search for content in message boards

Guinty-Ginty surname origin

Guinty-Ginty surname origin

Posted: 21 Nov 2010 6:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Guinty, Ginty, McGinty
My gggrandfather was Michael Guinty, he had changed his name after arrival in the US from Ireland in 1847. His parents were Patrick and Mary, her maiden name was Hanley. Their last name before emigrating to America is up for debate. I have seen it listed as McInty (was it McGinty, written wrong by census takers?) or Ginty (there was a Ginty sept in Donegal), or McGeenty, or McGinnity. This is our major wall-creator, if we knew the original name we could find the family in Ireland. Personally, I believe the family was McGinty, and originated from Roscommon. There are lots of Hanley families listed on the eviction list from Ballikilkline (Check out the website). Any connections with your family lines?

Re: Guinty-Ginty surname origin

Posted: 10 Dec 2010 9:57AM GMT
I have to correct this so any new person does not get confused. Michael Guinty's mother's maiden name was Mary HENDLEY, and not Hanley. You can find among many other places..."the history of Butler county" Kansas. It is in the library, Butler county Kansas. Mush luck in your research.

Posted: 11 Dec 2010 11:26PM GMT
Surnames: Hanley, Hendley
s for the Biography, I am unsure of its accuracy. Do you have any other information that shows her name as Hendley? A census record, perhaps? I have been in contact with many people who have researched County Sligo, and Roscommon, as well as surrounding areas and they were of the opinion that the name was actually Hanley. As well as the fact that many Hanley's settled in LaSalle, Illinois, that came from Vermont soon after coming to the US. Also, the biography doesn't list his brothers and sisters. It actually states that he was all alone, and that wasn't true. The name could be either Hanley or Hendley, but until someone comes up with solid information, it's all conjecture. Do you have any other information on this family?

Posted: 3 Nov 2013 1:12PM GMT
I saw a previous post of yours (under a different name) showing one of Michael's children with the middle name of Hanley...proof?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions