Search for content in message boards

Couple that never married

Couple that never married

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 8:55AM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Hi all, I have two people in my tree that never married. How do I add the female to the male just as a partner not wife and connect the males children to her as their stepmother?

Re: Couple that never married

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 9:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
One way to do this is first attach the female as a spouse and then attach the males children to them as parents (in the family view select edit>attach menu). Having done that you need to look at the relationship view in the person screen. Selecting a relationship e.g., father gives you a drop-down menu of the status of the relationship (biological, adopted, etc ) select one. A similar relationship status can be done for the couple (married, partners etc) together with the current status (ongoing, separated)

Be Cautious About Designating Step-Child

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 11:51AM GMT
Edited: 30 Nov 2012 12:16AM GMT
I would be very cautious about adding more than one parent to a person.

To do so has impacts on various reports - some unexpected. Descendant reports of the "blood" parent will show the step-child, and all of his descendants, multiple times in a descendant presentation, whether a graph, outline descendant report, or genealogy (register) report. (ie four wives: one natural and 3 step-mothers, will list the step child and all of his/her descendants FOUR TIMES). Also, the step will be included in a descendant chart report of an ancestor of a step-parent as if they were blood descendants of the step-ancestors.

Also, if one selects a blood-step parent duo as the "preferred" parents, it will be the ancestry of those parents that will show as ancestors of the step child in various ancestral charts and reports - which they are not.

I used to designate steps when I first got FTM as I thought that was neat. And then I started seeing the repurcussions in reports. Now I don't designate anyone as a step-child or step-parent. And, I never designate adoptive parents as preferred - as that will show ancestors of the adoptive parent as ancestors of the adopted person - when they are not his or her ancestors.

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 11:20PM GMT
Is this the same way as reporting an illegitimate birth? ( e.g.Female is married later and has family with another man)

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 2:40AM GMT
habu99,
Just enter the child to a another "marriage" with the status of not married.
If you know the real bio father enter that name, otherwise use your standard unknown entry for the father.
One should NEVER add children to any other spouse, unless you have adoption sources, then so note.

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 4:56AM GMT
Many thanks David!

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 1:42PM GMT
Edited: 30 Nov 2012 4:14PM GMT
There are cases where there is no official adoption sources, none the less the family accepted full moral, legal and physical responsibility for the child. I have several in my database.

To keep the "adopting" family in the loop, I have the children list with the natural parents and with the "adopting" parents where the relationship indicates the children were adopted. These "adopting" parents have significant influence on the child and are very important to the total family.

While there is a legal adoption, there is a common law adoption. (I don't know if this concept appears in any legal system but the phrase was the best way I could think of to describe the situation.)

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 2:52PM GMT
Good to know. This is exactly the situation I'm confronted with. Thank you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic