Search for content in message boards

Looking for family links

Looking for family links

Barbara Willoughby (View posts)
Posted: 27 Apr 2003 3:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mckay, McArthur
I am searching for my fathers brothers their parents were Thomas Mckay and Mary Cruickshank Taylor. William Mckay born around 1896 in the glasgow area (I think as an adult was in the Royal or Merchant Navy). the other is James Mckay born around the 1900 in the glasgow area. he emigrated to the US and lived some of his life in Detroit. I believe he had two children...also James and Betty Mckay.

Barbara Willoughby nee Mckay

Re: Looking for family links

Posted: 12 Jul 2004 11:10PM GMT
Edited: 20 Oct 2004 7:19PM GMT
Hi Barbara I think you were the lady that was in touch with Catherine McKay about Dundee McKays. Catherine tells me your Uncle Paddy is the son of Daniel McKay and Mary Hayes who were married in St. Mary's Lochee in 1910. Well they are definately in my tree and are ancestors of mine.Funnily enough my father was baptised in St. Mary's Lochee in 1910. If I can supply you with anymore info please let me know and I will try to help you . I can trace his ancestors back to Ireland to about 1800 Mary

Posted: 23 Sep 2004 1:48PM GMT
Surnames: Mckay, McArhtur, Taylor
Dear Mary,

If you could help me that would be wonderful....I am trying to trace my Grandfathers family.......He was born in Lanarkshire in 1865 his mother was Margaret McArthur......he married my grandmother in 1888 she was Mary Cruickshank Taylor and after having a few children walked all the way to Dundee and set up home in Lochee....I can trace my grandmother but Thomas Logan Mckay is a mystery.

I was married in St. Columbus Church, Lochee.....it has since been pulled down.......I grew up near Downfield in Dundee.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Barbara

Posted: 23 Sep 2004 8:48PM GMT
Edited: 20 Oct 2004 7:19PM GMT
Surnames: mckay
Hi Barbara thanks for replying I was beginning to think my message hadn't reached you .I'm still quite green as far as computers are concerned. Anyway here goes .Your Uncle Paddy Mckay was son of Daniel Mckay and Mary Hayes. They married in the Catholic church St. Stephen's in Blairgowrie 1873. They had the following chidren
Edward b c1875 Blairgowrie
Patrickb c1876 "
Daniel b c1879 " "
John b c 1881 " "
Ellenb c 1885 " "
Peter b c 1887 " "
Francis Joseph b c 1889 Blairgowrie
Francis Joseph married Catherine Conner or Connen 1915
Edward married Mary Kelly 1919

Daniel who married Mary Hayes was the son of Edward and Frances ( McManus) married in I believe Blairgowrie or Murthly. Frances was my gg Grandmother's sister but Edward is in my line as well .It's a very complicated tree maybe to go into it futher we would be better exchanging Email Addresses to explain. What do you think?
I was brought up in Dundee as well and lived in the Downfield area but my father's family came from Lochee. I attended. St. Mary's Forebank School and Lawside Academy when it was in Lawside Road Mary

Posted: 24 Sep 2004 8:37AM GMT
Surnames: Mckay, McArthur, Taylor
Hello Mary

Thank you very much for this information.....It was interesting to hear you were from Dundee.....so where are you now? When were you there....What was your maiden name?

Forgive all these questions.

I spent some of my childhood in England so went to school down there before returning to Dundee...I went to Linlathen High School.....since pulled down. I am one of four with a sister Rona (who lives in London she went to the Morgan Academy) brothers Robert (in Blairgowrie) and Alistair in Downfield, Dundee. My fathers family were from the Lochee area my mothers who were Martin came from Aberdeen and East Kilbride and Dundee (always moving).

My father was Robert Mckay it was his eldest sister Margaret (known as Maggie who was married to Paddy Mckay) his brother James Logan Mckay emigrated to the US but I have lost any contact there and I am currently trying to trace his family....one of his sisters went to Toronto...she was Mary Mckay...and the rest remained in Dundee.......

Posted: 24 Sep 2004 8:40AM GMT

Posted: 27 Dec 2004 11:59AM GMT
Edited: 20 Nov 2006 10:02PM GMT
Mary,
Perhaps you or Barbara might have information on the following couple. My greatgrandmother, Mary Reid, had sisters Jane & Susan. Susan Reid was born in 1862 in Dundee & married a John McKay in 1885 in Lochee. I know nothing further about them & would like to find out if they had children. My Grandfather, Mary Reid Wilson`s son, emigrated to Canada in 1912 & then to the US in the late 1920`s.
Pat R.

mary thompson (View posts)
Posted: 28 Dec 2004 8:46PM GMT
Hi Pat John McKay and Susan Reid were married 27/07/1885 in St. Mary's RC Church Lochee.He was a carter age 24 and she was a winder age 25. His father was also John, ploughman and his mother was Catherine Kenny.Susan's father was Thomas Reid carter and her mother was Isabel Munro.Although they were Catholics and from Lochee they don't seem to be connected to me but I will keep looking for you Mary

Posted: 28 Dec 2004 10:35PM GMT
Edited: 20 Nov 2006 10:02PM GMT
Mary, thank you! It seems I have the wrong marriage for my Susan Reid. I had found the marriage on ScotsOrigins & maybe was too quick to connect that Susan Reid to my Reid family. Will have to start over! My Susan`s father was named John Reid & he was married to Mary Barry. I have that from my greatgrandmother`s ( Susan`s sister) death record.
Pat
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions